I can't stand it 0  [0.00%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What do you think of MOTS?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
DanishDonJuan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 15:32

I love it. Music of the Spheres is awesome. It has been a long time since i was moved to tears by music, but i felt something move within me on several of the tracks of the album.

Mike's music lifts me to a belief in something better...to me his work is some of mans creations that are closest to perfection. He is incredible. I love the man without ever having met him......the way he binds music of styles throughout the world with african, incan, indian and modern themes gives me hope that the world might one day be similarly linked in harmony to bind the feelings, hopes and desires for good that we all have deep down.

His music is full of love, strength, joy and peace. I love even the familiar themes as there is enough originality to fill my craving for great music.

I think this is one of his best albums in a long time, and that says a lot as even his worst albums are better than most of the other music out there.

I do not understand how people can be critical of his music if they themselves can not create anything more beautiful.
I am immensely grateful that I have had the fortune of hearing something as wonderful as what Mike creates.

I hope Mike will one day know the full positive impact his music has had around the world. To me he is a hero.

--------------
If every road we traveled were the easy, we would be weak, and would eventually think every road difficult.
If every road we traveled tough, we would be strong and eventually think no road to be difficult.

Its the tough road that leads to happiness.
A smooth sea never made a great sailor.
Profile PM 
kwpres Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2008, 12:43

I keep coming back to the album every few weeks and it truly moves me like few of his recent releases have.  

I think perhaps it's because he and I are close to the same and the same emotions must go through men at this time in our lives.  So much of it speaks to the heart of soul of all that is good about man.

How wonderful that he is getting to see that again through his recent fatherhood.  Nothing makes you contemplate advancing years like new life.

Anyway, I would give my left testicle to be in Spain for the mini-concert...one of my life's goals I have yet to reach...seeing Mike perform live.

All the best and here's to a new release and many more for years to come...why not?  :D
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2008, 07:59

the real question is...what does MOTS think of us?  :O
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 06:09

Why Mike doesn't have several successful film scores under his belt is a question yet to be answered, especially when you experience the cinematic and emotive quality of Music of the Spheres.

Many cynics will enjoy labelling this album as "Tubular Bells 4" – but that couldn't be further from the truth. However, there's no denying the similarity to Tubular Bells during the introduction to "Harbinger", and that's surely something that will divide opinion between fans, over Music of the Spheres.

Having said that, I never tire of that famous chord structure, and in recent years it has become more of a recurring trademark in Mike's music – which is fair enough, given that he owes everything to that debut album. However I personally heard far more similarities to Ommadawn, beyond the opening notes on Music of the Spheres. Given that this is his first classical album, perhaps Mike felt the need to test the water with a bit of familiarity here and there, and there certainly are plenty of "Now, which album is that bit from?" type moments, which for me, simply adds to the album's charm.

After reading Mike's moving and personal autobiography, a return to his classical roots was inevitable, and if anything, long overdue. There has been a classical side to his music aching to get out, ever since that breakthrough album back in 1973 – and he's finally unleashed it with Music of the Spheres, and rather beautiful it is too. Emotive, cinematic and exciting. This album boasts the same sense of adventure as many of his early works.

A classical suite is something that Mike has yearned to do for many years, and I feel that Music of the Spheres is really a celebration of his musical achievements over the last three decades or so. While he has never fully ventured into classical territory before, this album is much more "Oldfield" than I was initially expecting. He may not be playing all the instruments here (though it would be an amusing thought), but his personality is clearly evident. And "What no electric guitar?!" I hear you cry - yes, that's right. Only Mike's acoustic guitar makes a couple of brief appearances throughout this album, although he just couldn't resist the use of tubular bells in the epic finalé of "Musica Universalis".

Music of the Spheres may take me a few listens to really appreciate, probably given that I'm not a regular listener of classical music – and without a synthesiser in sight, my ears are still tuning in to the beauty of brass, woodwind and strings. Returning to an album of two halves, each made up of flowing pieces, is a joy to behold, and I feel that this album may be the first of many more classical pieces from Mike, as he matures into the very style that originally influenced him.

Mike started making music as a place to escape, mentally, though that soundscape has gradually evolved over the years – and if Music of the Spheres is any indication of Mike's current state of mind, then it's surely a calm and tranquil place to be. Encore!

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
Kofola Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 07:20

After listening to the album for some time I choose
"I love it and I think it's Mike's best work"

True is that i had to think about it for a while 'cos of Tubular Bells II, but in the end I have chosen my personal best :)

This album is really a master peace and I must thank Mike for this life experience and I hope he will perform this album near Czech republic some day.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 08:48

For me MOTS shows off Mike's great talent as a composer,all the things I've always enjoyed in his work in terms of melodies you can find on the album.

If on the past records the compositional side was overshadowed by his amazing guitar playing and/or other instrumentation,on MOTS it's truly the most important part,and that it's important to show how good Mike's compositions are,more to the general public than for us the fans(since we've reconized them a long time ago! )

Yeah,it's a very good album,but you've got to change your point of view regarding Mike the musician to Mike the composer to experience the piece.It took me a while,but it worked for me.Even not being complex like in the past,the spiritual boost that MOTS has makes the difference.

Thanks Mike for being this great composer you are.
(and of course,we all know how great you are as a musician)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 09:58

Well, I voted the second option, though my actual opinion would probably be somewhere between second and third. I love some of it, and the rest of it is fine. Some of his earlier works are better, yes, but I do think it's a good album.

The first part has its highlights, with Harbinger (probably the best version of the TB theme since the original - for me anyway!) and The Tempest, but overall I feel the second part is stronger.
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 16:16

i only recieved my copy today!!!!!!!!!! ordered it from play but never got it, and had to wait ages before they would send a replacement!

listening now and have to say VERY impressed, is it just me or is there alot of nods to other mike albums? i have noticed it in nearly all of his albums, there are musical references to past glory's, alot of this album is heavy on TB but thats not a bad thing, just a shame sometimes that he cant detatch himself from it, but if it brings forth an album like this then so be it! lol

i hope the rumors of this being his last album are complete bullsh*t, and also the heavy metal one!

all in all a very solid album and a welcome return to form 4 1/2 out of 5 for this me thinks!  ;)

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 17 2008, 12:39

I voted the third option.  But obviously it's still too soon to evaluate just how it will sink in to the collective zeitgeist of we, the listeners.  It will take the passage of time to truly become part of MO's permanent legacy.  It definitely seems to have polarized the fans, somewhat, though not on the level of the heated discourse you see on his other work (the 80's "pop" albums, for example).

It occurs to me that in creating this recording MO had to wear a different hat, so to speak.  Perhaps we, as listeners, need to wear a different hat to hear it properly.  Change listening modes, if you like.

I'm already well-entrenched in classical music, so I need no help there.  But I'm not an elite purist-I don't pretend to know everything.  I know what I like.  I am (like all of us) qualified to comment by virtue of 2 things, through which we are not obligated to justify to anyone else:  did I pay my money for it, and does it move me?

Yes and yes.  It makes me feel good.
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: July 15 2008, 18:03

The first time I listened to it, I was annoyed to hear that, again, he re-used tubular theme. So for a little time, I was a little reticent to listen to it with my heart and hears wide open, because it frustrate me when an artist obviously copy himself, not just Mike Oldfield, but any artist. It was ok with tubular bells orchestral, 2, 3 and 2003, but, again on a new album?

So I let the time pass for me to "swallow" this. But I know too that he always did albums I like very much, so I knew it was only a matter of time before I would open completely to this new album and listen to it beyond the "re-use of the tubular bells theme" and listen to it as a whole.

So now, time have passed and I can say after a lot of listen that once again Mike have done an other very good album. I am no more bugged by the TB re-use and love each part of this fabulous album. The magic thing is that I once again wonder (like it happened to every album before) how he does to compose music like that. He seems so connected to his feelings and have not lost his hability to express them in a wonderful musical way.

So I will not say its his best album, but its another masterful accomplishment by my (still) favorite composer.
Profile PM 
Major Gowen Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2008, 23:58

I'm just getting acquainted with Music Of The Spheres and so far, so pretty damn good. I did chuckle at the Tubular Bells-esque opening (although he started doing this 25 years ago with Crises so why stop now?) but you know, that tinkly piano is just so welcoming, like meeting an old friend after many years.

It's too early to really form a proper judgement of the album but so far I find it a highly emotive and beautifully crafted work. So many lovely melodies, all sorts of musical nooks and crannies. Right now my favourite moments are Mike's appearance on guitar on track 2, and the horns towards the end, which are very graceful and elegant sounding.

I'm no expert on orchestral/classical music but it sounds to me like this is the perfect way for Mike to express himself musically from now on. And if he does pack it all in, then it's pleasing he's signed off on such a positive note.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2008, 15:19

Your mention of "nooks and crannies", Major Gowen, reminds me of the last time I listened to MOTS. Partway through, I was entranced with a lovely piano section and I wondered 'Which track is this from??'. It was the last half of "Prophecy" which I had previously, and unjustly, considered a bit of filler.

What do I think of Music of the Spheres, now - half a year after release? My earlier opinion hasn't changed. I still think it's a gorgeous, well-crafted, and uplifting work.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2008, 16:59

My opinion has moved the other way, S'pea (I thought, incidentally, that you didn't like the piano?): it sounds too much like pre-exegesis MO for my taste.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2008, 18:11

Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 07 2008, 16:59)
I thought, incidentally, that you didn't like the piano?

Ah! That might explain why it took me so long to appreciate that section. I had to be caught off-guard with my defenses down, playing it as background music, to finally think 'hey, that's really nice'. I'd prefer that explanation over 'cloth-earedness', anyway.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: June 05 2009, 12:34

Quote (olracUK @ Nov. 08 2007, 17:33)
I loved the dance/trance period and was surprised it didn't sell more but he was up against bigger names and equally talented composers in that area.

equally talented composers in the trance-department?

ahem?!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 05 2009, 12:41

Quote (Jesse @ June 05 2009, 13:34)
Quote (olracUK @ Nov. 08 2007, 17:33)
I loved the dance/trance period and was surprised it didn't sell more but he was up against bigger names and equally talented composers in that area.

equally talented composers in the trance-department?

ahem?!

Mike's trancey tracks are years away of what people who are into trance enjoy listening to.Pity.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Jesse Offline

Posted: June 05 2009, 12:49

Most trance producers aren't really musicians, they are 'producers'.

I know quite a few electronic music producers who don't know how to progress a melody for one bit.

Kinda funny cause I am not really at home with all the technology behind production and all, I just know i need to compress/EQ a little when my tracks start getting cramped :P
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 05 2009, 20:08

Quote (Jesse @ June 05 2009, 12:49)
Most trance producers aren't really musicians, they are 'producers'.

I know quite a few electronic music producers who don't know how to progress a melody for one bit.

Kinda funny cause I am not really at home with all the technology behind production and all, I just know i need to compress/EQ a little when my tracks start getting cramped :P

Have a listen to "Hold on to Me" from Van Buuren's Imagine CD. It's a terrific piece. Thanks to Tati for putting me on to V.B.
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: June 05 2009, 20:15

van buren has some nice pieces, but I would never compare him to the likes of Oldfield. Even if he is a Dutchie like me or not  :D

Ofcourse he is way better with trance, but I do not think they are comparable as composers
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: June 21 2009, 10:51

I voted for the 3rd option too.

These things are OK but what attracted me to MO's music in the first place was not just the fact he was a composer of serious lengthy pieces - but that he played the instruments most of those pieces (with very little help) too.

Therefore, with no disrespect to anymore (esp. MO himself) I consider these to be side-projects of sorts, and await the next fully fledged creation which demonstrates playing as well as writing.

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
59 replies since Nov. 08 2007, 17:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net