Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (301) < ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What are you playing this very second?, Just name the artist and track!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bee Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 10 2005, 05:50

Do try and have a listen to Faerie Symphony, you have to be in the right mood and give it time but it's worth it. I like it's strangeness and feeling that it's from another time. Two tracks I'm not too sure of, Superman doesn't really fit on there in my opinion, and 'Will you be mine in the morning?' is a tad tedious!! But I'm all for variety and take the rough with the smooth. And most importantly, Mike plays on 4 of the tracks on my copy of the cd which gives it instant appeal and he is unmistakeable and wonderful!!!

I'll remember what you said about Maddy Prior should I ever get the chance to go and see them again.Thanks!

Moving on, Private Investigations happens to be a favourite of mine too, have not heard it in a while, I must dig it out,  I have it on vinyl  so look forward to a listen. Love Mark Knopfler's voice and guitar playing.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2005, 06:44

Quote (Alan D @ Aug. 10 2005, 05:23)
Quote (bee @ Aug. 09 2005, 23:43)

Loved what you said about Maddy being the Queen of the Faeries, I think she'd like that. Have you got Tom Newman's Faerie Symphony? I love it. I'd like to hear more of his music but I don't know what else to try. :)  :)  :)

No, I've never heard Tom Newman's Faerie Symphony, and didn't even know it existed. I'll look it up. Thanks.

I have an excerpt, a track with Mike playing on it, and it's excellent!  Really good stuff.  Sounds quite of a piece with Mike's 70s music, and has some of that Celtic feel too.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2005, 15:49

With TWO such recommendations, how can I resist? I'll report back in due course!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2005, 16:05

Quote (raven4x4x @ Aug. 10 2005, 10:36)
You say that as if it's a normal thing Alan, as if everyone gets to chat to the band... ENVY  :)  ;)

Well, with Steeleye, everyone does, Alex! Honest! Maddy always comes out and mingles at the interval in the shows, and also at the end. First time I saw her - many years ago - I was too nervous at first and cringed in a corner, but when I saw the way people were wandering up and chatting to her I thought... why not me....? Over the years she's signed quite a few albums and programs for me, and I even have a letter from her!

I'm certain she never recognises me from one year to the next among the tens of thousands who seek her out, but she chats away as if she were talking to an old pal, about things to do with her family or the condition of her larynx. It's the same for everyone who wanders up to chat. Recently she's started doing a lot of ventures for various charities, and says - 'yeah, I'll sign your CD if you buy some raffle tickets.....'. Last time I saw her just before Christmas, she was sitting at a table with a huge queue of people waiting to buy raffle tickets and hoping for a signature. And she stayed until every one was done. She's an A1 five-star-rating human being in every sense.
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 06:07

John Foxx - Film One (bonus track on the Metamatic album)
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2005, 01:46

Right now I am listening to over 100 'fan tracks' I have downloaded over the last few days and I am still only half way through page 2! There are 7 pages and then I have to start on the 'fan covers' and 'fan mixes'! Some of this stuff is absolutely brilliant, esp from Booster and Yuval and Eeton, haven't got through it all yet. And what an ode to Mike, he should be very proud! Great stuff from a bunch of fine artists, keep it up guys. Booster, you are my HERO!

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Ricky Bling Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2005, 08:59

One Million Billionth of a Millisecond on a Sunday Morning - The Flaming Lips.

(The best Floyd pastiche you will ever hear)
Profile PM 
amarokian Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 10:24

Klaus Schulze - Jubilee Edition CD 5 Opera Trance (1997)

--------------
These posts are hazardous to the health of cloth-eared nincompoops.If you suffer from this condition after you read my posts,consult your doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
Trillian Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2005, 14:50

Demons and Wizards - Crimson King

--------------
~*Trillian*~
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2005, 19:23

Marillion - Reel to Reel, but cut it of early 'cos my tape is warped after too much sun. And also apart from a few tracks also fed up with the constant Genesis references. Sorry Bunea.

Next up, Big Audio Dynamite.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2005, 21:26

Legendary Harry Nilsson, Without Yooooouuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 07:12

Flowers of the forest - Voyager - Mike Oldfield

oh, it just finished, now it's The Shining ones - Songs of distant Earth - Mike Oldfield  :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 09:04

Per Gessle - Mazarin, nice, especially Warmt Igen

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 09:39

After a gap of some years: 'Summer Solstice' by Tim Hart and Maddy Prior.

I expected it to sound dated. In fact it sounds timeless. Taking time out from Steeleye Span, Tim and Maddy recorded this simple album - singing songs that have been sung and developed or embellished or simplified down through the centuries, including the achingly beautiful and soul-strainingly sad 'Dancing at Whitsun'.

Marvellous, and coming up as fresh as this morning's dew.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 16:18

I love the sound of that Alan D, just my kind of thing. I was near Stonehenge not long ago!

More up to date, at the moment I'm listening to Air's Mike Mills from the Talkie Walkie album. I just love the rhythm between the guitar and the  piano. There's also a clock or metronome ticking too. It sounds as if it shouldn't work but it does and I cannot explain how. It is fascinating to me.

Air really are good, any one else like them? Premiers Symptomes is the most 'watery'  music I know of. And I don't mean diluted and lacking in substance. ;)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 22:10

I just downloaded the entire album of Dark Side of the Moon, of course I have heard it before but now I can listen to it adnauseum. I also added a few covers on the end.

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2005, 04:33

Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 22 2005, 22:10)
I just downloaded the entire album of Dark Side of the Moon,

Does it have annoying gaps between the songs though?  Often the case with download versions of albums that are meant to segue from one track to the next....

:(

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2005, 06:05

No Jules, it plays well. Have you heard Radioheads version of 'Wish you were here'? it's 7 minutes long and is really good. Comes from an album called 'Fuckin Rarities' according to the source.

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2005, 07:01

Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 23 2005, 06:05)
Have you heard Radioheads version of 'Wish you were here'? it's 7 minutes long and is really good. Comes from an album called 'Fuckin Rarities' according to the source.

No, but it sounds like an interesting prospect.  I'm surprised actually - I thought they were a little wary of the "new Pink Floyd" tag they sometimes get.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2005, 16:22

Tangerine Dream - The Keep (soundtrack)

This cost me a small fortune and it is not the ultra-rare TD original or second edition but the merely rare Edgar Froese re-recording - orange CD.

Very good stuff though and not a bad film either if you get the chance to view - it was shown on Sky Cinema recently. It is typical TD soundtrack material a lá Firestarter, Exit, Risky Business, etc but with an absolutely stunning version of Tallis' 'Puer Natus Est Nobis' aka 'Gloria Theme'. Beautiful, tear jerking, spine tingling....the adjectives are not enough to do it justice.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
6009 replies since April 23 2005, 14:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (301) < ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net