Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (12) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What a load of......, just listened to cd 1 & 2< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TubularBelle Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 21:48

Wow, I just want to reply to everything! I think the criticisms of Mike are becoming more informed and articulate as time progresses and in a few weeks when everyone has listened to it in several moods and setting, the crticisms will lesson greatly.

REAL INSTRUMENTS. (TRADITIONAL).
The booklet says 3 guitars, 2 keyboards and 1 piano.
Or in a more General sense, guitar and piano.
That can sound disappointing on face value, it did for me, but perhaps he played them over and over with complexity and ferver. Still haven't heard it yet.

@Pantalaimon, Welcome to the site, but if you never buy another album, what will you have to talk about on the forum? As Woodlander said, If Mikes next album is a complex masterpiece, will you not buy it? You said Mike has been in steady decline for about a decade. I agree with hergest fridge who sees a decline from 1984 to 1989 and then he turned it around again. Try listening again with the lights off, candles, incense and your choice of drugs or alcohol or both.

Tracy.

Not implying for a second that you might need drugs and alcohol in order to enjoy Mikes music, but it certainly can enhance the experience and may bring a few back from the brink of rejection.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
timeslip Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 02:07

Quote (Korgscrew @ Sep. 28 2005, 13:43)
and it usually takes many years to be able to play with a decent vibrato, and without the notes sounding sour.

holy crap! Took me about half hour!

I must be a musical genius!
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 03:50

[QUOTE] timeslip,Sep. 29 2005, 02:07    I must be a musical genius!

In that case,please post some of your music and share the work of a musical genius :)

About L+S,this I heard for the first time in it's entirity,late yesterday afternnoon.Alone and in my kitchen,with insence and candle burning,just as had planned to do.As the Light cd went on first,I stood looking out of the window at trees,plants,birds that visit my garden,while also looking up at the sky & clouds from time to time. Sometimes I had to close my eyes to take in certain parts of the music eg:The Gate which IMO is a fantastic track.
Then onto Shade cd and this time,little bit of dancing,was compelled to join in and sing when Surfing ect  came on,and at other times even tapping my ringed finger on metal edge of kitchen sink! Damn it-just wanted to really join in.But was also taken to uncomfortable past places through parts of both cd's. At one stage felt homesick,even though in my own home .My two youngest children then came in & out of the room,son expressing interest(and that was something,usually has great fun at my expense,mocking my taste in music).Daughter much the same,she was pretending to ignore the music but was lingering about a lot & her expression said it all (It's a bit Kev & Perry around here at times).

Too early for me to list track by track personal reveiw,must hear the album a few more times,then will post my thoughts & feelings on it(including anything not fond of)But for now,don't feel as if cash has been wasted on it(was worth every penny just for the entertainment it caused my children to give me alone)!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 04:15

Quote (Groovy Granny @ Sep. 29 2005, 08:50)
L+S,this I heard for the first time in it's entirity,late yesterday afternnoon.Alone and in my kitchen,with insence and candle burning,just as had planned to do.As the Light cd went on first,I stood looking out of the window at trees,plants,birds that visit my garden,while also looking up at the sky & clouds from time to time. Sometimes I had to close my eyes to take in certain parts of the music eg:The Gate which IMO is a fantastic track.

Lovely picture. Thank you. I'll do something similar myself when my copy arrives (tomorrow?)
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 04:23

I have always thought about views from people on this site, is that they seem to negative to quickly, the album has only been out 4 days, and people are to quick to dismiss something that MO has been making for years, not fair in my view, but what nearly always happens with Mike's albums, over time with repeated listening people like it more and more, and give it the praise it deserves, and i am sure L+S will be the same.If after a year, you still don't like it fair enough, but please give it more than a few days.
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 04:43

Quote (Alan D @ Sep. 29 2005, 04:15)
Quote (Groovy Granny @ Sep. 29 2005, 08:50)
L+S,this I heard for the first time in it's entirity,late yesterday afternnoon.Alone and in my kitchen,with insence and candle burning,just as had planned to do.As the Light cd went on first,I stood looking out of the window at trees,plants,birds that visit my garden,while also looking up at the sky & clouds from time to time. Sometimes I had to close my eyes to take in certain parts of the music eg:The Gate which IMO is a fantastic track.

Lovely picture. Thank you. I'll do something similar myself when my copy arrives (tomorrow?)

Thanks Alan, went into it with an open mind & not expecting to either like/dislike the album(heard nothing from ot at all previously).

Is it too late for you to cancel with Amazon UK? I'm very glad I quickly did this & then went along to HMV after all.Hope you'll soon have your copy anyway,whatever happens. :)
Profile PM 
timeslip Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 04:51

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Sep. 29 2005, 04:23)
I have always thought about views from people on this site, is that they seem to negative to quickly, the album has only been out 4 days, and people are to quick to dismiss something that MO has been making for years, not fair in my view, but what nearly always happens with Mike's albums, over time with repeated listening people like it more and more, and give it the praise it deserves, and i am sure L+S will be the same.If after a year, you still don't like it fair enough, but please give it more than a few days.

listened to it a few more times cos i really want to like it, and its ok. Its better than the piece of musical garbage that is Tres lunas but its hardly exciting......

....and before the `its meant to be a relaxing and chillout` flame comes back the same can be said about the `classics` tbs,tsode etc etc but they were full of passion,complex harmony and soul and....mike oldfield.

light and shade sounds pleasent enough but plays like an uninspired tech demo......its as if every time a new effect has been found on one of his new toys he sticks a drum beat to it, couple of string synths and hey presto! Another new song.

Im guessing the only reason its not a 3cd set is because he run out of new effects.....
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 05:08

Quote (timeslip @ Sep. 29 2005, 09:51)
Im guessing the only reason its not a 3cd set is because he run out of new effects.....

Not pre-ordering just yet for Light and Shade II, then! Well, sometimes his music does have extraneous sounds, I agree. [He occasionally clutters. Heaven's Open (the track) is an earlier example. It seldom ruins but it can detract.]
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 07:02

the piece of musical garbage that is Tres lunas

I take it that you dislike this album? But why not just say so, instead of assuming that your dislike is the same thing as the music being garbage?

To anyone who, like myself, loves Tr3s Lunas (and has some understanding of it in the context of the game) comments like this and the others about guitar-playing undermine the credibility of your posts. The effect will be that I'll stop reading them - which seems a shame, as this forum thrives on the exchange, understanding, and acceptance of differing views.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 07:04

Quote (Groovy Granny @ Sep. 29 2005, 09:43)
Is it too late for you to cancel with Amazon UK?

No need, Sandra. I heard this morning that it's on its way to me.
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 07:22

Oh at last! that's good news.Will look forward to reading your verdict on it some time later.Now I'm just going to listen to the album again(this time unfortunately without the previous atmosphere & scenic views,so will see how it moves me while I'm washing dishes) :/
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 07:56

I wish, I wish, I wish I had the album right now... From what I know it's delayed in Australia, so I've ordered it from amazon.co.uk, which still hasn't even been dispatched, so I'll be waiting a while I guess.  

I suppose you're wondering what the point of this post is (apart from complaining about amazon). Well, I came back from my holiday and read the five pages of this topic, and it depressed me a little. Not because of the bad reviews of the album, I had expected that, but because of the general bad feelings that seem to have been generated. I know that people don't like the album so far, but can't they be nice about saying so? I suppose what I'm saying is that there doesn't seem to be respect for other people's opinions or feelings here in this discussion.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
timeslip Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 08:08

Quote (Alan D @ Sep. 29 2005, 07:02)
the piece of musical garbage that is Tres lunas

I take it that you dislike this album? But why not just say so, instead of assuming that your dislike is the same thing as the music being garbage?

To anyone who, like myself, loves Tr3s Lunas (and has some understanding of it in the context of the game) such comments, along with the others about guitar-playing, undermine the credibility of your posts. The effect will be that I'll stop reading them - which seems a shame, as this forum thrives on the exchange, understanding, and acceptance of differing views.

of course my opinion of Tres Lunas is just that, My opinion

As for not understanding the context within the game, I bought the album as an album not as a soundtrack to a (using the term extremely loosely) computer `game`

To express my opinion further i`d rather listen to Earth Moving(i do like Holy, great cheesy 80`s pop tune) than ever have to listen to Tres Lunas again. As far as im concerned its not music, its musak and ive heard more inspiring pieces of music whilst travelling in a lift in a supermarket.

And to compare it to something like Ommadawn.....

And I TOTALLY still agree with my comments regarding the guitars....

i`ve been playing the guitar semi pro in a number of bands over the last four years recording myself after roughly 3 weeks from the point of 1st picking up a guitar. Its a WELL documented fact that the level of skill needed to record has declined dramatically since nuendo,pro tools etc have come onto the market. Since these tools contain extremely good sampling looping tools any muppet who can barely strum 4 bars of a rythmn track (yes thats me after 3 weeks of learning) can get a decent sounding recording. It doesnt matter if after 4 four bars it all falls apart because as long as you can play one repetition of the rythmn track, regardless of how many times before and after you mess it up, with your one good take, press loop and away you go. The same goes with guitar riffs. One good take and away you go.

This to one degree or another is what what im complaining about within Light and Shade.

So no disrespect but after taking the time and effort to learn to play the guitar gives me the right to express my opinions on the guitar playing on light and shade.

Noone can argue Mike doesnt have the talent to do it `the right way` its just lazy for the MAJORITY hes gone for the sample and loop
Profile PM 
Guru Meditation Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 09:04

Timeslip:

I understand that many on this forum are fans of guitar and guitar playing, but I am among those who don't give a damn for playing of anything, guitar included. It is your problem how you are going to record music, and playing guitar or any traditional instrument is not the only "right way". Use any way, just come out with good music. If you want, program everything.

"Lazy music" is not the same as "music not played live". Lazy music is music without inspiration and compositional effort - and you can make top class music with computer and electronics solely. Altghough I don't see any doing that at the moment... As for Mike, he definitly choose a comfortable part, but you can't blame him - such are the times, all the musicians are doing the same.

And if you think that playing the guitar or the acoustic flute or anything is the way to get music going again - you are wrong. Even on the contrary, playing traditional instruments would be so boring today.
Profile PM 
timeslip Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 09:30

Quote (Guru Meditation @ Sep. 29 2005, 09:04)
Timeslip:

I understand that many on this forum are fans of guitar and guitar playing, but I am among those who don't give a damn for playing of anything, guitar included. It is your problem how you are going to record music, and playing guitar or any traditional instrument is not the only "right way". Use any way, just come out with good music. If you want, program everything.

"Lazy music" is not the same as "music not played live". Lazy music is music without inspiration and compositional effort - and you can make top class music with computer and electronics solely. Altghough I don't see any doing that at the moment... As for Mike, he definitly choose a comfortable part, but you can't blame him - such are the times, all the musicians are doing the same.

And if you think that playing the guitar or the acoustic flute or anything is the way to get music going again - you are wrong. Even on the contrary, playing traditional instruments would be so boring today.

i`ll applogise in advance since i do not have the album with me i cant give any track names.

I dont consider electronic music lazy, if i did i`d hardly have John Micheal Jarre in my cd collection. What i consider lazy is a 3-4 second guitar lick sampled and repeated indefinetly (im refuring to one of the last tracks on 1st cd, cant remember the name sorry)

Now i can understand this coming from someone who doesnt play the guitar but would like some guitar tracks on their music.

This comming from an extremely accomplished guitarist is quite frankly pathetic.(my opinion)

I personally listen to MO for a variety of reasons - relaxing melodys,complex harmonys but most importantly soulful and emotive guitar playing(probly why i detest tres lunas as much as i do) - a dance tune with a guitar loop can be created by anyone with a internet connection.

if you picked up the latest Pink Floyd,Satriani,Yes, (add own fav guitar based music) and instead of actually playing got a repeated guitar sample, wouldnt u be a little miffed ?
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 09:39

Quote (timeslip @ Sep. 29 2005, 22:30)
I personally listen to MO for a variety of reasons - relaxing melodys,complex harmonys but most importantly soulful and emotive guitar playing(probly why i detest tres lunas as much as i do)

Timeslip, I agree with you about Mike's guitar playing, but Tres Lunas is not totally lacking in that department. What are your feelings on No Mans Land (reprise). This climax to the album contains some of my favourite of Mike's guitar. I'm assuming you don't agree.

As for repetition, a few questions: perhaps Mike wanted a repetitive sound? Would you have prefered him to play the same few bars over and over, rather than use a sample? If it sounds the same either way, is there really a major difference?

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
timeslip Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 09:51

Quote (raven4x4x @ Sep. 29 2005, 09:39)
Quote (timeslip @ Sep. 29 2005, 22:30)
I personally listen to MO for a variety of reasons - relaxing melodys,complex harmonys but most importantly soulful and emotive guitar playing(probly why i detest tres lunas as much as i do)

Timeslip, I agree with you about Mike's guitar playing, but Tres Lunas is not totally lacking in that department. What are your feelings on No Mans Land (reprise). This climax to the album contains some of my favourite of Mike's guitar. I'm assuming you don't agree.

As for repetition, a few questions: perhaps Mike wanted a repetitive sound? Would you have prefered him to play the same few bars over and over, rather than use a sample? If it sounds the same either way, is there really a major difference?

im assuming No mans land (reprise) is on tres lunas - to be honest ive not listened to the album since about a month after it came out, although i do remember having difficulty making it through the entire album as it just, well bored me

(i will actually blow the dust off and listen to it when i get home)

As for a sample repeated sounding the same as a short piece played over and over.....

Disagree with that on so many levels im afraid.

All music (especially mo longer pieces contain repetition), its not the notes that are played, its the way they are played, Subtle time differences,slight differences in the picking,the intensity in which they are played, how the musician was feeling when he struck that particular note.

A snippet of this played repeatedly is like being stuck in groundhog day
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 10:12

Quote (raven4x4x @ Sep. 29 2005, 12:56)
I wish, I wish, I wish I had the album right now...

I sympathise Alex, though there's a good chance I'll get mine in the post tomorrow.

I agree that all the negativity surrounding this release does seem odd. If I look back over Mike's albums, there are lots of them where I dislike a substantial number of tracks. Most of the songs on those 80s albums, for instance, aren't my cup of tea, and I never play them.

Generally, if I find myself actively engaging with more than half of an album by any artist, I consider that I'm doing pretty well. Already I suspect from what I've heard that this new one will slot into that kind of pattern.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 12:39

Quote (Guru Meditation @ Sep. 29 2005, 09:04)

Objection. I mean... huh? What's that supposed to mean? All musicians are lazy today, so it's okay if Mike is too, is that what you meant, or did I miss anything? Sorry if I'm overreacting, but that's what it sounded to me...

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Cinos Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 12:55

Quicksilver is really amazing.  :)

I'm actually planning on getting the version with the bonustracks just for some extra sounds in this style. I hope they're good...
Profile PM 
237 replies since Sep. 25 2005, 08:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (12) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net