Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (12) < ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: What a load of......, just listened to cd 1 & 2< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 12 2005, 03:33

Quote (raven4x4x @ Oct. 12 2005, 07:54)
Overall, I like enough tracks to make me feel the album was worth getting. This is just on about three listens, so my opinions may change, but this is how I feel about it at this moment.

With one or two exceptions these are pretty similar to the impressions I had after two or three listenings, Alex. It'll be interesting to see how your feelings change (if they do), and also whether you'll decide to play the 'Make your Own Condensed single CD' game!
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2005, 04:17

Quote (TubularBelle @ Oct. 11 2005, 21:17)
Take away the internet and all that pre-exposure we got, release Light as a 2cd set with Tres Lunas 3 years ago before Tres Lunas 2 was created (by someone who naturally did not expect those tunes to be rehashed 3 years later), release Shade as a single cd 6 years ago, and everyone is HAPPY, no problems. Great music, wrong year.

anyone's entitled to the own opinion, but i can't quite see what u mean. why release 'light' with tr3s lunas before the mixes of music in the game were made? tr3s lunas 2 is music from tr3s lunas, so it was all -music disc and game- mvr, released by mike oldfield at the same moment. it's true that the music in the game was later remixed brilliantly by some fans, but it was always in the game. why split them and put 'light' in the middle?

and 'shade' six years ago, yes.. it would have been great to find 'slipstream' half way through a dance session... i'm sure, but maybe this is the time when it's got sense in his career. imho the techno touch of 'shade' seems to be what he was wanting to do six years ago in tubular bells lll, different is whether one likes it or not, but i think he has been learning about how to make dance music. he's been on the search of something that has achieved in 'slipstream' (not in 'romance' though...), that track isn't out of time, i'm curious to see if it will be played in the next year in clubs around.  

after some weeks of listening, i find 'light + shade' not his best work so far, mostly because it lacks of unity, but either his worst.
i can't help thinking of this album as a good-paper sketch book where he has successfully revisited and developed some previous ideas like in 'ringscape' and 'first steps', made some interesting experiments like in 'surfing' and played the guitars beautifully full of magic in many moments like 'tears of an angel' 'resolution' or 'surfing' again. and i'm very glad for those moments.

my own condensed single cd:

angelique
our father
first steps
ringscape
resolution
slipstream
surfing
blackbird
tears of an angel

i haven't heard any of the bonus tracks yet, so the list may change then.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2005, 06:01

I wasn't splitting Tres Lunas 1 and 2 up because Tres Lunas 2 was never released by Mike. I think there was a little bit of laziness with Mike releasing stuff from the game 3 years later, if he wanted to do that, why didn't he release it 3 years ago as a 2 cd set?

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2005, 06:54

Quote (TubularBelle @ Oct. 14 2005, 19:01)
I think there was a little bit of laziness with Mike releasing stuff from the game 3 years later, if he wanted to do that, why didn't he release it 3 years ago as a 2 cd set?

Perhaps he had too much material for a single CD, but not enough for a double. Ringscape and First Steps might be the only other tracks that he felt were worth releasing.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 14 2005, 23:28

Ringscape and First Steps could quite comfortably have fit onto the Tr3s Lunas album, actually. I think it would actually have made more sense to have Tr3s Lunas and First Steps on the same album as a kind of pairing, considering they share the same melody.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 03:56

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ Sep. 25 2005, 10:25)
I don't understand how people can say things like that when there are just some simply GORGEOUS solos like the ones on Surfing and Tears of an Angel!

And yes the vocies are from a program called Vocaloid. They're not real. I like how he used them, though.

I quite agree, but unfortunately the mixing and presenting of what is there is just not... the same as what I like from Oldfield. It is different, and I think the suggestion that he really needs a good producer does have an element of truth to it.

May I also say at this point that I think you did a better job on Snow Cavern Flight than Mike did on Ringscape. You have it down perfectly - it fits all our ideals of what Mike's music is supposed to be about - whereas Ringscape - where did those corny church organs come from? Don't get me wrong, they work on other tracks, but not on this... and that fade out... I know you know how to use a Bell Falloff curve Brandon.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 05:02

Quote (arron11196 @ Oct. 15 2005, 08:56)
May I also say at this point that I think you did a better job on Snow Cavern Flight than Mike did on Ringscape.

I'm not capable of comparing them in a technical sense, and actually I want both; but certainly I have no notion that Brandon's version is lacking in any way.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 05:32

What I'd really like to know is why Mike left out potentially the best bit of First Steps namely that wonderful little guitar lick you can here when you are playing the sprites game in Tes Lunas. I always thought that was one of the bits he really could have worked up into something and yet he bins it in favour of some corny synth melodies.

When some fans say 'who are we to judge Mike's music? Its little things like this that make me think that in fact Mike is not a particularly good judge of his own music, at least in recent years anyway. He's come up with a lot of good melodies but he's either just not used the right instruments to render them or he just doesn't develop them enough if at all sometimes.

Step forward Tom Newman. Mike desperately needs you.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 05:40

Quote (TOBY @ Oct. 15 2005, 10:32)
Mike is not a particularly good judge of his own music

He's not alone in that. Dylan succeeded in almost completely destroying some of what were potentially among his finest albums - 'Infidels' being perhaps the most notable.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 05:53

If you look at most musicians I think most of the more successful one's ARE the one's who collaborate with a producer. I don't think its any coincidence that with the exception of Ommadawn (and to a much lesser extent TSODE) all of Mike's best stuff has been done with the aid of another producer be it Tom Newman or Simon Philips.
Profile PM 
siul Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 16:04

Hi

IMHO it would be a good idea Universal recommends Mike to use a producer. Maybe Mike doesn´t think so, but it would be a positive idea.

I absolutely agree with Toby when he said:
"He's come up with a lot of good melodies but he's either just not used the right instruments to render them or he just doesn't develop them enough if at all sometimes"

Of course, i am talking about recent years, but with the exception of "Tubular Bells 2003". In my opinion TB2003 has got a wonderful production from Mike, but I think it is worse in "Tres Lunas" and "L+S".

Why not the next record produced for Moby, or Christopher von Deylen, or William Orbit, or .... ?
Why not Mike collaborating with someone instance of working alone?

Regards.
Profile PM 
tamas Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 23:55

although i really love moby, I dont think it would be good for Mike to collaborate with him, as this would just make his music even more dancy. I would be much  happier seeing him collaborating with some folk musicians, as african drummers, icelandic flue players,  aboriginal didgereedoo players, syberian shamans, eskimo whistlers, romanian gypsy singers, pseudo-south-atlanto-japano-antartico-farters, etc...
:p
Profile PM 
Miguel Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2005, 02:04

Quote (TOBY @ Sep. 25 2005, 16:39)
If he truly didn't care, as he seems keen to make out sometimes, why make terrible and bland trance music in the style of Romance. Presumably tracks like that are written because Mike feels he can win over some abstract notion of a 'young' audience who will never in a million years buy it from him.

Romance is not an Oldfield criation. It's a cover of an old anonimous classic guitar theme that he decided to spoil with techno beats. It's very sad....
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 12:39

someone wrote somewhere here that light + shade sounds better while being drunk :D very true, much better :p

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 12:45

Quote (TOBY @ Oct. 15 2005, 05:32)
Step forward Tom Newman. Mike desperately needs you.

Does anyone know why Mike and Tom are not working together anymore?????

L&S: sounds at its best with a nice cup of tea to get you in tha mood :zzz:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 14:44

I think Mike would greatly benefit from working with me ;)

Also, more seriously, I wish he would do another split CD -- a long suite (with "real" instruments -- sigh -- I'm an electronic musician myself, but thing is, while Oldfield is really impressive with guitars, "real" pianos, drums etc., he's quite amateurish with electronics :/ Quicksilver being a very good proof) and songs. Songs with Maggie Reilly, Barry Palmer (oh gosh, I wish I knew Barry Palmer's e-mail, I'd ask him if he wants to collaborate with a total unknown :)) and... oh, I'm old, I just want him to go back to the 'roots'.

Sigh. I'll go sob in loneliness now :P

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 16:47

No, youre really not alone. I'll come sob with you.

Tr3s Lunas style stuff is great. Angelique has that type of sound all over it... but Quicksilver...

I do admire the man for being adventurous, but in my personal opinion, experiments don't always need to be published. I suspect it would be a better idea next time if he doesn't mention what he's going to do, so if it is a double album then we can all be surprised.

I also vote for no hype, as all it did was build up my hopes uncessarily. Okay, I stand by what I said regarding First Steps; It justifies the purchase of the album alone. Even still, I'd rather be without that Shade album lurking around my collection. I'm almost embarrassed to own it.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

Profile PM 

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 07:03

Ooooh, I totally changed my mind about L&S since last night. Especially Romance: It's brilliant!
I was playing it in my car and all my friends loved the album (I was a bit surprised) and even the one I love (secretly!;) said it was very cool! So that changed my mind and I like it all the better now! OOh, people can change suddenly ;)

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 10:56

Quote (arron11196 @ Nov. 05 2005, 16:47)
I also vote for no hype, as all it did was build up my hopes uncessarily.

I agree the hype was a bit much, but I guess it won't be different with the next album. We can all agree to remain calm and so, but by the time the next one will come, our heads will go crazy again...
It's our nature, I guess ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 12:06

Yeah, this is true. I'd just like for once the hype to be justified, IMHO of course.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
237 replies since Sep. 25 2005, 08:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (12) < ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net