Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Wedding Section.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
wiga Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 09 2009, 17:55

Which part of Crises is the 'wedding section', and more specifically - which is the wedding march. Scatterplot has mentioned that the relevent section is between 12 -15.

I think 10.00 sets an elegant and relaxing mood for the entrance of the bride, but alternatinely around 12.55 feels a good section.

And for the exit of the bridal party, I would suggest that the bride and groom, emerging at 18.12 from signing the register, exit at 18.30 - and I like the majestic final few notes there around the time they're out the door. :cool:

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2009, 12:11

About a year ago some guy was going to get married and posted here on what MO music could replace a wedding march for his wedding. I had thought of this when I got Crises and first heard it in '83-'84. -At least- 10 minutes into it, but no more than 13 or 14, there is a soft synthesizer passage which leads up to a very melodic sweet "theme" with a heavily pitch bended cool guitar part and bell sounds leading the melody. Very romantic.......or at least emotional in any sense. Could be used at a funeral too. One of my MO favs. Just listen for a loud part to end after 10 minutes, then concentrate on a soft synthesizer intro to the next part. I think the dude ended up using it. Wish I could remember who it was....he posted a lot. Then was gone. I guess I would be too, with a bride to please to Kingdom Come.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2009, 12:50

I remember that thread - I think he was called Zinc.

When I was listening to Crises yesterday I couldn't quite figure out which would be the best 2 minute section to use for a wedding march because the flow keeps fragmenting.

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2010, 04:12

Hi Wiga, the softer section from 10.00 is beautiful. Romantic, emotional, and a very nice alternative to the traditional wedding march. Just thinking of my own wedding day many many years ago. For one day you can be a princess, and it can be the most important day in a couple's life. I still believe in the institution of marriage, Im a bit of a softy. Deb
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2010, 17:47

I wonder if Mike will one day get around to Crises in the same way as all the TB versions/remixes?

That section at 10:00  - 12:52 with real strings instead of the synth sounds could be so much more emotional. Bring in a harp for the underlying spanish guitar?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2010, 20:15

Quote (olracUK @ Feb. 28 2010, 17:47)
That section at 10:00  - 12:52 with real strings instead of the synth sounds could be so much more emotional. Bring in a harp for the underlying spanish guitar?

No, no - I disagree violently. I've never heard electronic sounds so full of expression and feeling as they are here. Besides, the piece is about some futuristic crisis (even the album cover is futuristic) - it would be a great step backward to have old fashioned instruments on this one. I love it when Mike reaches out to space/technology, just as I hate "On Horseback", Hergest Ridge etc which go in the other direction.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 28 2010, 22:04

Quote (olracUK @ Feb. 28 2010, 17:47)

I sort of played that in my head; it gave me a Music of the Spheres / Harmonia Mundi vibe. Makes sense to anyone else?

But I agree with Nightspore, in that it sounds perfect with synths (though I think if there is one guy who can bring expression and feeling across with synthesizers, that guy is Vangelis).

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2010, 02:55

Funnily enough I chose Vangelis - Five Circles (Chariots of Fire) for my wedding church service - in the 80s. I was looking at the section from Crises at the time - and I would have liked it to be honest, probably not traditional enough, and might have got a few raised eyebrow. I was keen to please in those days  ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2010, 04:27

I loved Chariots Of Fire, still have it on vinyl somewhere. Somehow I will find my way home always evoked a tear or two. Vangelis was a brilliant artist. There were many synth artists out there at the time but he stands out. The movie was brilliant. Deb
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 01 2010, 04:51

Quote (olracUK @ Feb. 28 2010, 22:47)
I wonder if Mike will one day get around to Crises in the same way as all the TB versions/remixes?

I'm also in the "it's fantastic as it is" camp, though I'd still be interested to hear other interpretations of crises such as using strings.

Thinking about any remixing, I wondered reading the above what you could do to improve this section. 5.1 mix was my first thought and then I realised - this section of music *already* swirls around my head as it is! No 5.1 mix needed :)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2010, 05:46

In my opinion, the only weak spot in "Crises" is Mike's vocals, which aren't as good as they are on "Heaven's Open" (after he had lessons, of course).
Profile PM 
10 replies since Dec. 09 2009, 17:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net