Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: was viv replaced by basil faulty?, Is it john cleese?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Fallen Angel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 05 2003, 08:01

:/I really am stumped on this one can anyone help me...... :/
Heaven was open and i fell out

--------------
Heaven was Open and I fell out
Profile PM 
Fallen Angel Offline

Posted: June 05 2003, 08:03

If anyone can help me out please do so!!!
Heaven was open and i fell out

--------------
Profile PM 
Fallen Angel Offline

Posted: June 05 2003, 08:12

Will someone please help me out here!!??
to hell with me cos' i'm a fallen angel

--------------
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 05 2003, 09:26

Yeah,it's John Cleese...Viv died some time ago....

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Quazimoto
Unregistered

Posted: June 05 2003, 14:21

"Viv died some time ago..."

Thats no excuse for not doing the job   :)
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 05 2003, 15:25

Thats no excuse for not doing the job

*LOL*, that reminds me of a SImpsons episode...

"I told you a million times before, the original Radioactive Man is 74 years old, and he's dead!"

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Fallen Angel Offline

Posted: June 09 2003, 07:24

oh well cheers for your help bud.

--------------
Profile PM 
LivingForever Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2003, 07:45

I think this was a big mistake - Cleese turns a wonderful piece of music into a comedy sketch.

Even John Gordon Sinclair did a better job!

James

--------------
http://giggingforever.blogspot.co.uk
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2004, 13:50

hi
Here en denmark I have to wait for tb2003 dvda, but is it worth buying???
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2004, 13:51

and - can I find the bonus track anywhere on the net
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: April 01 2004, 18:52

Quote (LivingForever @ Oct. 13 2003, 12:45)
I think this was a big mistake - Cleese turns a wonderful piece of music into a comedy sketch.

James

I agree to some extent, but Cleese also brings a light-hearted atmosphere into the work. It shows us that Mike wasn't necessarily trying to create a perfect factory-cut version of TB, but to approach it with a bit of fun in its rerecording (or should that be rerererererecording :) :zzz:)

In terms of remakes from TB2 to TB, 'The Bell' has to be one of the best ones. The experimental ostinato with static harmony of TB becomes a brilliant and unique chord progression. Perhaps in this sense a jokey MC would have been inappropriate. I'm not familiar with any other MCs that Mike used

Cleese would do a great Sailors' Hornpipe monologue, don't you think?
Profile PM 
Dude Offline

Posted: April 24 2004, 06:50

I think The Bell was never intended to be a deadly serious piece of music, it always had the tong in cheek. So Cleese was an excellent choice IMO.

I did a poll on this a while ago, but it turned out that most people still prefer Vic... :/

--------------
Fortunately I've been adhering to a pretty strict drug regimen to keep my mind limber.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 24 2004, 10:43

Viv almost always had his tongue firmly in cheek, but his delivery was different to John Cleese, and I personally much prefer it. With John Cleese, it's always quite exaggerated and over the top, leaving you in no doubt that it's supposed to be funny, while Viv was always a lot drier and more deadpan. When he did things like Sir Henry at Rawlinson End, he could deliver some outrageous lines in such a way that it sounded like they were perfectly ordinary. I think a major difference is that, while the Pythons appear to be fairly 'ordinary' people when not doing their act, Viv certainly wasn't - he was just as eccentric at home as he was when performing (this was a man who kept his mother's false teeth superglued to the breadboard). Sadly he also led a destructive life, which ultimately claimed him. A truly inspirational man nevertheless.
Profile PM 
Taurus Outcast Offline

Posted: June 13 2004, 05:37

i think the best thing cleese says is "Mandolin" in a army commander voice. certainly adds some humour!

by the way, has anyone noticed after when he says mandolin, it echos again about 5 seconds later.  listen out for it!
Profile PM 
Bones Offline

Posted: June 13 2004, 17:26

Ooo i noticed that too, thought i was imagining things lol.  thanks for confirming my sanity

Oh and one of my favourite parts to the rerecording is the little piano tune at the end of "Blues" i think it is.  sounds a whole lot better than the original.

--------------
Amarokin' All Over the World

"Music is at its best when listened to in the dark"
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 13 2004, 18:37

Quote (Bones @ June 13 2004, 17:26)
Oh and one of my favourite parts to the rerecording is the little piano tune at the end of "Blues" i think it is.  sounds a whole lot better than the original.

Curses! To me, that was one of the worst offenders! The "Hmmm hmmm, hmmm hmmm" choruses in the original were one of the most hilarious moments in Mike's carreer! He took away the most interesting thing, the butcher!

Ok, I'm getting too serious. ;)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Steve
Unregistered

Posted: June 26 2004, 19:19

Hi there

Yeah I noticed that too and thought I was going a bit insane, I was suprised an error like that would be cut into the album!

Steve
16 replies since June 05 2003, 08:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net