Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Wagner's  Influence on Music in C20th???< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 30 2010, 17:59

I was watching "Stephen Fry On Wagner" as shown on  BBC4  http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/2010/05/my-journey-with-stephen-fry-an.shtml
and I just thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss. I don't think Alan D comes on here very much now, but I'm sure he'd find it interesting.

Stephen has a passion for Wagner's music, and I enjoy it as well, as I do Elgar. I'm just thinking how much Wagner's music changes it's focus, one minute it builds and soars, then there's a chord change to a rather more unharmonious chord, as so the story unfolds.    I do think Wagner's music also tells a story as you listen to it, and you can also picture a scene within your mind, not only that but the soloist singers act out the story on the stage. I don't really like to call them Wagnerian operas, as they incorporate more than an opera.  I know I don't understand the words that are being sung.  (I can speak a bit of German).
I know in "Tristan and Isolde" the chords start of as the two lovers longing and anticipation for each other, so this is reflected in the scale of the chords used, but as Tristan and Isolde meet up again the music begins to flow, and carries on soaring up and up, as the lovers meet and the passion starts to build, and they are  making love, and then they get interrupted  just before the climax, as another couple enter the room.
I just see Wagner's music as full of passion , and soul, and he was one to compose from his heart, I just see his music as beautiful to listen to.  I know Wagner's music would become  controversial, later on, as Hitler was a fan.  
However despite the negative connotations, I just see the beauty and passion in Wagner's compositions    :) .  I don't see how Wagner can be blamed for the rise of Naziism, as Wagner predates the rise of Naziism by  some 40-50 years at least.   However I know that many Jews play/listen to Wagners music. Stephen Fry has Jewish ancestry himself. I do consider it's a great shame that the beauty and passion of Wagner's music has been marred (by some) due to it's popularity with Hitler.

Moving back to the music I do think that Wagner has had an influence on many bands/artists in the later part of the 20th Century.  I did read once Joe Elliott of Def leppard described Wagneras "the first heavy metal artist".  I do think Wagner had a big influence on Prog Rock, I think if Wagner was alive in the 1970's, he'd have put on elaborate stage shows, outdoing Rick Wakeman.  Yes Wagner was the ELP of his day. I do see Wagner in early Queen, as in the variation in intensity, from light to heavy and back, and also in the operatic vocals, and not only that Queen put on a complete stage show.    If I take Tubular Bells,. the rythym changes are all over the place chord changes can significantly alter the mood of the piece, making it such a roller coaster. Oh yes and Wagner also composed from the heart. I'm wondering if anyone has any views on this         :)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 01 2010, 07:26

Moonchild, I think Wagner's Tristan und Isolde is one of only two works that really gets to the core of what love is. It's probably for that reason that I find it too harrowing to listen to. (The other work is Proust's novel.)

My favourite Wagner is the Eucharist music from Parsifal. Tubular fans take note: this has VERY loud bell sounds! I have the Solti version.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 02 2010, 13:30

Yes true Nightspore,  T&I has a tragic ending, yes I to think Wagner really gets to the core of what love is, and how people end up in unhappy relationships, or their love is "forbidden" as T&I had to meet at night, I'm not saying all relationships are unhappy, even if you could be forgiven for thinking divorce is a late 20th-early 21st Century thing. What I'm thinking is the subject matter of T&I would most probably been so taboo in Victorian times, so  it was  a groundbreaking piece in that sense "The Tristan Chord", and also musically speaking it moves away from conventional/ Traditional  Western harmony/. I was also thinking of the influence of Wagner on Classical or Rock  music in the 20th Century when I wrote my piece above.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 02 2010, 20:48

Quote (moonchildhippy @ June 02 2010, 13:30)
Yes true Nightspore,  T&I has a tragic ending, yes I to think Wagner really gets to the core of what love is, and how people end up in unhappy relationships, or their love is "forbidden" as T&I had to meet at night, I'm not saying all relationships are unhappy, even if you could be forgiven for thinking divorce is a late 20th-early 21st Century thing. What I'm thinking is the subject matter of T&I would most probably been so taboo in Victorian times, so  it was  a groundbreaking piece in that sense "The Tristan Chord", and also musically speaking it moves away from conventional/ Traditional  Western harmony/. I was also thinking of the influence of Wagner on Classical or Rock  music in the 20th Century when I wrote my piece above.

It's not just the ending, Moonchild, it's throughout the music, from the first notes of the prelude, which hang like a question mark in the void. Somehow Wagner manages to create perfectly the mindset of true love: that nothing, absolutely NOTHING else (even the self), matters. That's why love, in my opinion, is actually and literally terrifying. It is destructive of the self, the world, everything. That is why both Tristan and Isolde long for the night, in which their selves and their separation are finally extinguished. As I say, T@I is so perfectly realised I cannot bear to listen to it.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 02 2010, 21:43

That's a bizarre way to read it. As I see it, love is not the feeling that nothing else matters, but the feeling that nothing is too big a problem; as long as you are loved, everything can be dealt with, there is no desperation.

I don't know if Wayne Coyne has already proved his "Untested Hypothesis Suggesting That the Chemical [In Our Brains] by Which We Are Able to Experience the Sensation of Being in Love Is the Same Chemical That Caused the "Big Bang" That Was the Birth of the Accelerating Universe", but I'm pretty confident about it.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 02 2010, 23:27

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ June 02 2010, 21:43)
That's a bizarre way to read it. As I see it, love is not the feeling that nothing else matters, but the feeling that nothing is too big a problem; as long as you are loved, everything can be dealt with, there is no desperation.

Then I fear you have not truly approached that terrible, transcendent state, Sir M. Your are lucky.
Profile PM 
5 replies since May 30 2010, 17:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net