Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Voices...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Rileman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 09 2004, 04:54

Is it a man or a woman who sings Dominus, mundus, salvus in Let there be light. And from 02:12, it sounds like a
little boy who sings. Does anybody know what he/she/they says/saying? I have the same question about the woman in the background from 03:00-03:04 in Only time will tell, 01:02 in Lament for Atlantis (sounds like "prepare yourself"), the man at 00:47 in Hibernaculum (can be heard several times in the background), the male choir in Hibernaculum, the females at 01:23 in Tubular World, and the people in A new beginning. I'm also wondering about the screaming sound at 02:20-23
in Tubular World. What is that?

Any ideas?

--------------
It's not easy going where no-one goes, and no-one knows...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2004, 17:43

To take your questions in order: I think that the "Dominus, mundus, salvus" voice is a woman, while the following voice sounds like a cantor (a treble-voice boy). What he sings sounds to me vaguely like "oh ye lonely", but it may have a meaning I'm not aware of. ;) The woman's voice in "Only time will tell" and "Lament for Atlantis" is from a self-hypnosis tape created by Mike Joseph. The choir in "Hibernaculum" is a monks' choir, or people resembling a monks' choir, whose name I'm unsure about [the whole of "Hibernaculum" being inspired by (or a parody of?) Enigma :)]; the people in "A new beginning" sing a "Saami chant", as credited on the booklet, from some (documentary?) movie I don't really know anything more of; the women's voices in "Tubular world" and the man's holler in "Hibernaculum" sound to me like small samples from the same chant (the Saami one), while the scream sounds like Mike :) - it's the same effect used for the voice in "Supernova", which Mike himself said it's his. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2004, 20:56

As far as I hear: :)

Let There Be Light
"...power energized" [that robotic voice in the background]
In concerts, you can hear the beginning of this sample and I hear that as "Let's get power energized!"
"Burning, melting, dissolving" [said by probably the same woman]
"Dominus, mundus, salvus" [I bet the singer here is a treble-voiced older man - and indeed, David Nickless - who is mentioned on the cover - is a treble vocalist]
"Oh you, long live!" [it could be both a treble-voiced boy (but his voice refers to a younger man here) or a woman]
And of course the excerpts from the Bible by Bill Anders.

The woman's voice in "Only time will tell" and "Lament for Atlantis" is from a self-hypnosis tape created by Mike Joseph.

Are you sure in that in case of OTWT? The questionable sample is very similar to the one Jarre used in his Miss Moon. I transcribed it as "Yee hee hee hee oh sa na woo ha mi ayoh co roy". :) Or do you think about the "Start" sample?

The choir in "Hibernaculum" is a monks' choir, or people resembling a monks' choir, whose name I'm unsure about

They're The Tallis Scholars, take a look at their official homepage. They had a concert in Hungary recently. :)

the people in "A new beginning" sing a "Saami chant", as credited on the booklet, from some (documentary?) movie I don't really know anything more of

A New Beginning is based on the polynesian Tubuai Choir's song called Vahine Taihara. You can even buy Polynesian Odyssey, the CD it is from. :) The Saami chant is Prayer for the Earth. "The Saami chant was performed by Nils-Aslak Valkeapää for the 1987 Norwegian film Ofelias (English title: The Pathfinder)." - from
Amarok discography. In fact, it's spelled as Ofelas. You can find a site about the performer, Valkeapää (TSODE is also mentioned there) and some information about Ofelas on All Movie Guide for example.

the women's voices in "Tubular world" and the man's holler in "Hibernaculum" sound to me like small samples from the same chant (the Saami one)

Well, according to the samples you can listen to from Polynesian Odyssey, the "Tuki tai palama diap tani"-like women choir is probably from the same album but I don't think the man's also from there. He's probably Roame who is also mentioned on the cover. I don't know if it's him but maybe... I also hardly can imagine that the woman samples in Tubular World are the Tubuai Choir, she or they could be Cori Josias or/and Ella Harper. Anyway, they're both credited to the Beautiful World's album called In Existence. I transcribed the "lyrics" of Tubular World as "a world send 'secho icho'" or "a word sent: 'sechoicho'". :) But you can also hear something like "normi mors" near 1:37 by a man's choir.

And then there is the Verulam Consort, who are possibly in connection with this school.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2004, 21:12

Hmm... that "sechoicho" is maybe a cutted sample "...s Etcho | Etcho"... Etcho ;)

And Cori Josias is credited on Vangelis' See You Later, too. And she is also credited among lots of familiar names on Doll by Doll's album called Grand Passion from 1982.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2004, 06:18

Quote (Ugo @ Nov. 09 2004, 23:43)
the people in "A new beginning" sing a "Saami chant", as credited on the booklet, from some (documentary?) movie I don't really know anything more of

Really, Ugo. Does this sound to you as if it is performed by people living in the freezing cold of northernmost Norway, where the night lasts half a year?  :p

As for the "Dominus, Mundus, Salvus" thing, for the life of me I can't hear "Salvus" in the last word - to me it sounds like "silence".
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2004, 07:38

Quote (EeToN @ Nov. 09 2004, 22:12)
Hmm... that "sechoicho" is maybe a cutted sample "...s Etcho | Etcho"... Etcho ;)

And Cori Josias is credited on Vangelis' See You Later, too. And she is also credited among lots of familiar names on Doll by Doll's album called Grand Passion from 1982.

Cori did sing for Rick Wakeman,during his world tour in 1981 to promote 1984.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 10 2004, 07:42

I agree that the 'New Beginning' chant sounds more African than Norwegian. But I might be wrong.

I also believe "Dominus, Mundus, Salvus" is correct. Latin doesn't always sound the way you expect it to, so "Salvus" may sound a little "off"... But you may be right. I suck at Latin.

I also remember reading that you can hear a woman saying "Zeit" in 'Only Time Will Tell'. Makes sense, seeing the meaning of "zeit", but I'm not sure that's what she says.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2004, 09:24

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Nov. 10 2004, 13:42)
I also remember reading that you can hear a woman saying "Zeit" in 'Only Time Will Tell'. Makes sense, seeing the meaning of "zeit", but I'm not sure that's what she says.

If it's what I'm thinking of, I hear that as "starlit" :)

About the "salvus" thing, I didn't mean to say that they actually sing "silence", just that it sounds more like that to me than like "salvus".

And, ehm, that chant is neither African nor Norwegian / Saami. It's Polynesian!
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2004, 11:29

I always thought the girl in LTBL said burning, melting, dissolving. lol

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2004, 11:46

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Nov. 10 2004, 13:42)
I agree that the 'New Beginning' chant sounds more African than Norwegian. But I might be wrong.

Actually, as I have written, it's Polynesian... So it's Oceania, not Africa. :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2004, 05:28

Quote (Holger @ Nov. 10 2004, 09:24)
About the "salvus" thing, I didn't mean to say that they actually sing "silence", just that it sounds more like that to me than like "salvus".

Yeah, I understand that. I just meant that Latin words might sound different from what we "expect" them to sound (especially for English speaking people). But if it isn't "salvus", I'm curious as to what it actually is.

And, ehm, that chant is neither African nor Norwegian / Saami. It's Polynesian!

It's all the same!! :D No, okay, of course it's not. I swear I didn't see the comment that says it's Polynesian. But they're both below the Equator, that's what matters... ...

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2004, 06:08

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Nov. 11 2004, 11:28)
It's all the same!! :D No, okay, of course it's not. I swear I didn't see the comment that says it's Polynesian. But they're both below the Equator, that's what matters... ...

Right, so I'll think of your music as "African" from now on.

j/k  :p
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2004, 08:28

Hey, Brazil has quite a few links with Mother Africa, you know... just wait... this is going way off topic...

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
TSODELOVER (John Sexton)
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 11 2004, 19:53

I have a question I have never gotten resolved. Who is the Little Boy (and his mother apparently) in both "ONLY TIME WILL TELL" (from 2:15 in the song-till the end) and again in ASCENSION (4:18-4:53).He appears to say "Huhwy-WAAH-Ha_AYE..." Thanks, John Sexton (tsodelover@yahoo.com)
13 replies since Nov. 09 2004, 04:54 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net