Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Voice of 'Altered State'< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Hillbilly Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 15 2004, 06:10

I have been watching the dvd featuring 'Tubular Bells 2' live at Edinburgh Castle. It's a great concert; the sound and performance is good and it's very beautifully filmed.

Anyway, I wonder about the vocals in 'Altered State'; on the recording, is it Mike himself who does the "caveman" growls, or is it John Sinclair, who is the MC in the concert? Does he actually just lip-synch to Mike's voice? I wonder because I know that Mike does the original "Caveman", on the 1973 'Tubular Bells'.

Also, it doesnt' really sound like the female backing singers in the same number speak their lines "live" on the spot... Playback?, but why?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2004, 18:25

Yes, Sinclair mimes [a schedule of some sort I've read some time ago does explicitly include something like 'Caveman miming his part'... :)] and the voice you hear is a studio-manipulated performance by Mike. As for the female voices, the spoken lines sound fake also to me, but I think that the sung part ('kin-ke-ze' or whatever) is mostly real. Why did they mime? Oh, I've got no idea. Ask Mike. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
arkpandora Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2006, 20:26

Hello !

I was about to post a new topic on the subject of this sad playback feature of "Tubular Bells II & III Live".  It is all the more sad, because in "Altered State" the live interpretation of the four female vocalists looked exquisite.  I love "Tubular Bells 2", the album, but as far as I'm concerned this trick makes the whole concert artificial, hence uninteresting.

Not to mention that - unless I'm mistaken - vocals are not the only tracks which have been replaced by their studio counterparts : they are apparent here and there, especially in the "Tubular Bells III" concert.

I have just bought this DVD : I am going to sell it, with a heavy heart, and a bit of indignation ...
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2006, 06:54

Quote (arkpandora @ Oct. 20 2006, 20:26)
Hello !

I was about to post a new topic on the subject of this sad playback feature of "Tubular Bells II & III Live".  It is all the more sad, because in "Altered State" the live interpretation of the four female vocalists looked exquisite.  I love "Tubular Bells 2", the album, but as far as I'm concerned this trick makes the whole concert artificial, hence uninteresting.

I have just bought this DVD : I am going to sell it, with a heavy heart, and a bit of indignation ...

There's nothing like a nice positive post to start with  :)  ;)

Hehe... just kidding... I can understand what you mean...

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
arkpandora Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2006, 18:55

Oh yes, I'm awfully negative.  That's because I'm awfully optimistic.  And that's why I love Mike's "life-saving" music !
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2006, 19:05

Quote (arkpandora @ Oct. 21 2006, 18:55)
Oh yes, I'm awfully negative.  That's because I'm awfully optimistic.  And that's why I love Mike's "life-saving" music !

Hehehe... ok ;)

And I was just kidding of course :)
Hello!  :laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
arkpandora Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2006, 19:42

Well, hello !  :D  I'm new to these forums, but I'm not new to Mike's music, nor this site, so I don't feel new to these forums actually.

It's just that it is the first time I come upon a concert in playback...
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2006, 04:17

Now realistically when you talk about sampled music spoiling a recording and it being not real - to be consistent you would only ever listen to live music.

Therefore you would never have heard tubular bells 1, as in your mind it's all second hand - ie it's sampled, recorded.

Sampling is just recording after all.

The issue should be the sound variations that impact your ears, and the effect those have on your brain cells - that is what is important.  Unless there is some Cloth in the way! (ha!;).

Ray   :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
arkpandora Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2006, 12:21

Hello Ray,

The issue here is not music or sampled music : sampling is part of every concert, I love the music of this concert almost as much as the album, and some of my favourite musicians are electronic musicians.  But, in this concert, voices are not sampled : they are removed.

The issue therefore is this concert and its video : if a live concert's music is removed and replaced by another music, there is no point in gathering a public or releasing a video.  The only thing they could do with this soundtrack was releasing another version of TB2 on CD.  Without visuals, since the independance between what you hear and what you see can only destroy both.  So if it was about cheap, commercial music, it wouldn't be important, but it is Mike Oldfield and outstanding music : a bad interpretation would have been better than a false one.

Now not every track is false, but in my opinion it cannot make any quality difference, as long as you cannot trust what you hear unless you don't see it.

Did you ever see another great musician's live choirs and lead vocals being replaced by studio voices ?
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2006, 19:08

Hello Pandoras posh box - welcome to the fantastic discussions......

I now understand your point,  well made.   Although now I have a question...

Has any one still got a video recording of the live concert in Edinburgh transmitted the same night by the BBC and by me on my video recorded that same night live.  I watched that lots before I bought the DVD and it's the same - so they did it live then??  (I mean replaced the vocals live and for that bit the girls were miming)

Did any one go to the concert  - did that happen?

If it did - Arkpandora you should should keep your DVD.

Ray

--------------
Profile PM 
arkpandora Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2006, 17:36

I'm a Belgian French speaker, you know, so it's only a posh accent...  Thanks for your understanding, then.

Whether the live sound was genuine or not that night doesn't change anything for me about the DVD.  But for the musicians and the album's honour, I would prefer it if it was.

Jean-Christophe
(OK, call me Posh)
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2006, 17:08

Sorry - I didnt realise you were Beligian - but you know there is a joke in english about pandora's box,  But I wont go into it here.

Ark Pandora -
Ark is a large vessel - as in Noah, so I was making a joke about Pandora and a large or "posh" vessel or box.  

What does it mean anyway - to you I mean??

But any way - I think it was like that in real at the concert in Edinburgh but am open to correction as I wasnt actually there.

--------------
Profile PM 
arkpandora Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2006, 17:38

Besides the confused Hellenic-biblical contents you're pointing out, "arkpandora" doesn't mean anything to me : it's just a sound.  Oh, and "Ark Pandora" is the name of some ancient Commodore 64 computer game I have never played, but whose music I used to like.  Music by Ben Daglish, one of a few musicians who have worked wonders with this computer's unique synthesizer !
Profile PM 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2006, 11:47

Ah cool topic. I tohugh J.G.S actually done the voice in altered state. hmm quite dissapointed that its mimed actually.  :/

--------------
www.myspace.com/allaroundmyhat
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 21 2007, 20:35

i always skip that song on the DVD..
I saw it just now and i enjoy the whole concert. I have been in edinburgh and it's a fantastic city. I love the old buildings and the atmosphere. Now after beeing there i understand the concert even more, because it's a very special place.
The Music is the best part of course.
My favorite part is "Sunjammer" and "maya gold"
but not "Altered state"!!!
So stupid    :/

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
14 replies since Aug. 15 2004, 06:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net