Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Vocals in PitD, Detailing the song's structure...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 25 2007, 08:45

I think this one has already been discussed here, but I need a sort-of recap for a short essay I'm writing, containing (among other things) an analysis of "Pictures in the Dark".

Taking the extended (Platinum Collection) version as a basis, I think the vocals are performed by Anita Hegerland (AH), Aled Jones (AJ), Barry Palmer (BP) and Mike Oldfield (MO), in this order:

Verse 1: AH + BP

PitD I see all around...: AJ

One, two, three: I think this sounds like AJ but in the video AH mimes it. Is that really her?

Chorus 1: BP. AH joins in on the 'Morpheus' and 'Aurora' lines.

Verse 2: same as Verse 1.

PitD I see all around...: same as above.

Chorus 2: same as Chorus 1.

Verse 3: same as Verse 1.

Pitd I see all around...: same as above.

Chorus 3: same as Chorus 1.

[Guitar solo: this seems to lack a half-verse in the 7'' version. Was it edited out, or added for the long version?]

(Spoken) Lost in my dreams: ?

This night will never end: AJ + AH(?).

Following passage: AJ + AH (?), backed by BP.

Chorus 4: MO, AH + BP on 'Morpheus' & 'Aurora' lines

The moon shines starlight beams...: AH + BP.

The rest of the song continues as in the last two lines above. ;)

Can anyone please tell me whether all of the above are correct? I have some persisting uncertainties on the spoken sections, but I think that everything else is like I wrote above. Is it? ;)

Also, I always wondered why Barry Palmer is uncredited when his voice is very clearly heard in many instances in the song. Contractual problems, maybe? Or maybe was it Mike having problems, as usual, about who should sing vocals on his songs? (Like on Five Miles Out, When the Night's on Fire/Islands, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 25 2007, 13:51

Quote (Ugo @ April 25 2007, 14:45)
Or maybe was it Mike having problems, as usual, about who should sing vocals on his songs? (Like on Five Miles Out, When the Night's on Fire/Islands, etc.)

Yes, it's mentioned in the Barry Palmer Interview available on this site.

On 'Pictures in the Dark' I sung all the parts at the beginning and Aled Jones doing some small parts, but Mike changed the production and my part was putting down and down... so I was left with only a small part. It was a bit of a dissapointment, because I thought it was good - but that's the way he works, he wants the best for his song and often uses 4 or 5 singers to do the job and you have to get the record to see who is on it.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
1 replies since April 25 2007, 08:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net