Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Vocals in an instrumental album, I just don't think it works.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
timshen Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 12 2002, 11:26

Where does 'Guilty' fit into all of this? It has only the words 'Oh Guilty' but they are sung and have a meaning - i.e. they are not simply used as an instrument but are conveying an intelligible message. As I understand it, it was written just after Mike went through his 'exegesis' treatment and realizing he was guilty was an intergral part of his 're-birth'.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Mark 1 Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2002, 19:56

It's not the meaning that counts, it's the structure of the whole piece. Like several instrumentals on TSODE, the piece is basically an instrumental with lyrics as an 'effect' to underline the music.
Profile PM 
TheMan Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2002, 12:08

I completely agree with you tubularbills.

Please no more 5 minutes pop-songs again, Mike. Stick to the instrumentals, it doesn't matter if they are long or short.

ManInTheRain sucks.

I do agree that words and phrases are OK, I find TSODE to be a excellent example of that.

But what is this 'Ommadawn is one of the albums that I don't have', tubularbills?

Buy!!!
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2002, 04:33

I think he does some really good '5 minute pop songs', except I wouldn't call them pop. In my opinion, a song that he does will be much better with a hot guitar solo, because he has always done instrumentals better than songs, no matter how much I like songs. A guitar solo is one of the things he does better than anyone else, and sort of puts new life into a song.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
TheMan Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2002, 05:13

I hate the song, but I agree that the guitar solo rocks!
Profile PM 
24 replies since July 22 2002, 11:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net