Poll choices Votes Statistics
Yes, they give me the creeps. 14  [26.92%]
No, I love them. 17  [32.69%]
I like them but bring back Maggie etc... 16  [30.77%]
Not sure yet. 5  [9.62%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Vocaloid Vocals, Do they give you the creeps< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bee Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 17:42

Quote (TubularBelle @ Oct. 11 2005, 01:28)
The only problem I have with the vocaloids is that they are not articulate, whether real or not, I can't stand it when someone is singing a song and you cannot understand what they are trying to say, if the words are not relevent then don't have any! .

It's interesting to hear this Tubularbelle because I have always liked the fact that Mike has played with voices in the past, and you mentioned the Caveman in Tubular Bells.That worked didn't it and who knows what he was ranting on about?!! The voices on Ommadawn are singing unrecognisable words that are talking nonsense (so I believe). Mike gets us to be curious about sounds first, the meanings come later. After all, words can be misinterpreted or misunderstood for a whole host of  reasons, but the feelings in sounds are latent until you know where to look for them.

I find I just go with it however odd it sounds at first. Guess it all depends how we each find our way to what the music means to us.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 24 2005, 07:50

I came up with this today,I think that using Vocaloid/Cantor on L+S was what Mike wanted for the album concept,not an idea that he's fed up with real vocalists.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Oct. 24 2005, 23:53

Having just had my first go with L+S, I can say that I'm so not bothered by them. I don't think I'd even know some of them were Vocaloid Vocals if I didn't hang out here. :D It's not like I can read the liner notes. Guess I need stronger glasses!!!!!

I actually like the VVs much better than the guitar sax of T3L, for example, which drove me crazy in a bad way. Mike has always experimented with the human voice, using it as another instrument. I hope that in the future he brings back an occasional human, but for L+S, I think the vocaloids work nicely.

Regarding understanding what they are saying...I never can understand what anyone is singing, human or vocaloid, ha ha. But actually, I was surprised to make out quite a bit of the VVs.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
22 replies since Sep. 28 2005, 09:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net