Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Vocaloid, do ya like it? I do.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Harmono Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 22 2005, 18:30

I think Mike has done great work with the vrtualvocals.

Some people have described the vocaloid sound as eerie and it sure is but in a good way.

Just think about it, its not a real person singing but theres still a lot of emotion! Thats weird alright.

It could be alittle early for this topic but Im sure youll all post a lot after the L and S is released.
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2005, 19:02

I think it sucks. I prefer a good old vocoder.
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2005, 19:22

I like them just fine.  I'll reserve judgement, however, until after I've heard the entire album.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 22 2005, 20:52

very good!! not problem for me! I like new things.
Have everybody forgot how they hated synthezeiser?
he he  ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 18:55

I love synthesizers. I have 5 at home. But I hate vocaloid. It sounds bad.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 20:22

Yes we already know you hate it J.R.
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2005, 20:29

Quote (jeremyroberts @ Sep. 24 2005, 00:55)
But I hate vocaloid. It sounds bad.

Not necessarily. It could sound brilliantly if it's used well - I've heard good and bad examples as well.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 08:20

Yes I'm sure it can sound good, actually. For short vocal effects, for example. For lead vocals, I think it just can't compete with an amateur singer singing through a pitch corrector  :D
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2005, 08:43

But don't forget there is an increasing amount of evidence Mike just doesn't like humans these days. If it's not their inability to sing correctly for him its their relentless negativity towards his recent musical output and their staunchly dogmatic approach to not buying his records. He'd much rather hang around with his computer 'fans' who are pre-programmed to 'like' his music and programmed by him to sing along to it.

Sorry just a bit of light Sunday afternoon humour. I'm sure vocaloid will really take off in the coming years as real singers are killed off and replaced by androids (actually if you look at Brittany Spears the evidence points to this happening already) In the years to come I'm sure Mike will be hailed as its pioneer     ;)

ps there is also an increasing amount of evidence that Mike himself was killed off and replaced by an android, round about 1992 some would say. Think about it, one minute he's saying computers in music are 'soulless barrel organs' next minute he releases TB2. Some would say his mind was taken over.  The conspiracy theory starts here.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 17:38

I just had a speak with MR. Vocaloid and it said I need not worry.
All I need to do is not to give a flying arse.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 18:13

I'm going to be bold and say that I think Mike has been clever and inventive in his use of the electronic vocal thingies. I surprised myself when I realised that I like them, for me they work. I'm not mad on the electronic drum 'backbeat'. But the vocals move around the structure of the song/music in a very intersting way. The gate has such an extraordinary sound to it and that makes it so memorable. Our Father, Surfing(love this) and Tears of an Angel (love this too).

The way he has used them brings to mind the French group Air's albums 10 000 hz Legend - not sure if they used the same things but the sound/atmosphere is similar.

bee

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 18:23

Its pleasent to me that some of you also like "the Gate".
Bee you might like to try some yoga next to the Gate.
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 19:48

When I listened to the 1-minute snippets of the album, the one song that stood out amongst all others was The Gate - my favorite on Light and Shade.  I am hoping the full version is even more emotional than the little I've heard.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 19:53

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Sep. 28 2005, 19:48)
the one song that stood out amongst all others was The Gate - my favorite on Light and Shade.  I am hoping the full version is even more emotional than the little I've heard.

The one minute thing is nothing!
there is a wonderful part with acoustic guitar.
Profile PM 
far above the clouds Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 21:20

Quote (TOBY @ Sep. 25 2005, 08:43)
Sorry just a bit of light Sunday afternoon humour. I'm sure vocaloid will really take off in the coming years as real singers are killed off and replaced by androids (actually if you look at Brittany Spears the evidence points to this happening already) In the years to come I'm sure Mike will be hailed as its pioneer     ;)

ps there is also an increasing amount of evidence that Mike himself was killed off and replaced by an android, round about 1992 some would say. Think about it, one minute he's saying computers in music are 'soulless barrel organs' next minute he releases TB2. Some would say his mind was taken over.  The conspiracy theory starts here.

I haven't even heard L & S yet, but that is one of the funniest posts I've ever seen! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
And I even like Mike's TBII, TBIII and so on.

--------------
Tell me how does it feel......when your heart grows cold.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 21:46

Quote (far above the clouds @ Sep. 28 2005, 21:20)
ps there is also an increasing amount of evidence that Mike himself was killed off and replaced by an android, round about 1992 some would say. Think about it, one minute he's saying computers in music are 'soulless barrel organs' next minute he releases TB2.

And when he starts to refer to them as his boxy brothers.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
15 replies since Sep. 22 2005, 18:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net