[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Virtual Vocalists< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Leafy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 07 2005, 11:10

Hi!

I'm Tom, I'm 15,and I'm Polish...

I want to know what Mike's mean "Virtual Vocalists", and I want to know, how can I do the same effect like vocal in 'Tear Of An Angel' from Shade... I think, that Mike's new album is the best! I have many of his albums (for example 'Tres Lunas', and 'The Songs Of Distant Earth';), but that album is realy - BEST!!!

I compose music in Reason 3.0, sometimes in FL Studio, and I know, that Mike have that programs too, so if the "Virtual Vocals" was done in one of that programs, tell me how, please!!!

You can hear my track there:

http://tubular.net/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=57;t=5345
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 07 2005, 11:54

Hey Tom,

I think we've met here before...

Virtual vocalists are a new music software fashion. They're not actually a new development - there's been software that lets Macintoshes sing for about 10 years, and I'm sure there have been equivalent things for other platforms.

Still, two software plugins have now come onto the market which are both much talked about.

I think Vocaloid is the more famous of the two. It was developed by Yamaha, and is based on small samples of singers' voices. It works like any other synthesiser/sequencer, except that as well as entering notes, you can enter words, which it will then sing. The three commercially available Vocaloid plugins have been put together by Zero G - there's Lola, a female voice, Leon, a male voice, and Miriam, based on Miriam Stockley's voice.

Cantor does a similar thing, but in a different way - it synthesises the voices using additive synthesis (a way of building up complex sounds by adding together simple waveforms, to put it simply) and special kinds of filter, rather than using samples from real voices.

You could run either Vocaloid or Cantor in FL Studio.

If you just want to make synthetic 'aaaaah' types of vocal sound, you can do it with a normal subtractive synthesiser (like Reason's Subtractor). I think it works better on some than others, but it's possible. I'm sure I could give you a few tips on doing that, if you're interested, but getting it to work right might be a little complex.
Profile PM 
Leafy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 05:35

Ok... Can some one tell me how Mike do that beutiful reverb?? He have in his tracks reverb, and it's genial... It sounds 'warm'... Can somebody send me instructions for Reason's RV7000 or FL Studio's Reverb??
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 16:04

The main trick with getting the vocal 'aaaah' quality to a synth sound is having a fixed resonance present, like the formants in a voice. That means setting a lowpass filter to resonate, adjusting the cutoff until it's resonating at the point where it sounds most vocal, then turning off the keyboard tracking so that it stays at that point, rather than being at a different frequency for each key.

Just as important is, of course, what you feed in through that filter. Start off by feeding a saw wave through it and take it from there. Other more complex but equally harmonically rich waveforms (like those you might get by using ring modulation or FM) may give you more interesting results. I'm afraid I don't know Reason well enough to be able to give you specific instructions, but I'm fairly confident that something will be possible.

Getting a reverb sound like Mike's from the software you have may prove difficult. He traditionally used expensive Lexicon and TC Electronic processors, which have far more complex reverb algorhythms than most of the software reverbs which you get bundled with music software. Convolving reverb plugins can emulate that kind of reverb better, but they demand a lot of CPU power and are expensive.
The best you can do is experiment with the controls of the reverb processor. Take a look in the manual, if you don't know what all the controls do, or ask again here. You can also try putting an EQ after the reverb to alter the frequency response more, or a chorus to add a more shimmery quality (but don't overdo it - it'll probably only need a tiny bit, unless you want to do it as a deliberate special effect). You could also try putting two reverbs in series (one running something like an early reflections program, the other running something with a long decay) to get a more dense sound...you could even put a chorus or EQ between those. Really, play with all the components you have there, find out what they can do, then you can begin to start thinking of how they can be used when you want particular types of sound. Good luck, and happy experimenting!
Profile PM 
10 replies since Oct. 07 2005, 11:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net