Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Virtual Reality Project< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
mike arnold Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 02 2000, 16:08

I cannot profess to being particularly well informed as to the technical specifics of virtual reality, although some recent press reports and movies do give some sort of a general idea. The only immediate thing that strikes me is whether the market is ready yet for VR, and is it readily accessible to the 'general' public?

Then again, were we ready for the wheel?
Somebody has to set things in motion, and who better than the man who has brought us some very innovative music over the past few decades.

Another major question is, what is going to sell the project to the masses, i.e. there really needs to be a theme, or a story to it all, beyond the music that is.
The 'Wind Chimes' video was very good, but suffers in part from not having a relatively easily discernible message or story line.

In general, people can be very dismissive of something if they do not have a readily identifiable reference point. Because this is going to be a revolutionary sort of project, it will benefit from having a strong central theme or story.

Beyond that, we know the music is going to be great! Good luck M.O.
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 02 2000, 17:03

I agree with the above post. This thing should be like a game with a deep, exploration plot. If you've ever played RAMA(A computer game by Arthur C. Clarke), that's how I've always envisioned this project that I've heard so much about.

The game had a plot, and much of it was conversing with other people, exploring to find clues to solve puzzles, and piecing together a plot of what is really happening around you. The real catcher to RAMA was the background music. It wasn't all just atmospheric, spacy; rather it had some rock, some haunting, and some pleaseant music.

Since Mike's going to be writing the music to this thing, I expect something like that, only CD quality and not MIDI.

Bottom line is:

• It needs to have a deep plot.
  • The scenery needs to be beautiful in some areas, haunting, mysterious, or funny in others.
  • The music should fit the scenery
  • There sould be charaters that the user can interact with, as well as other objects.

That's my two cents. Thanks for the time and space.
Profile PM 
1 replies since Feb. 02 2000, 16:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net