Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Vinyl versions?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bluenexus Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 08 2011, 02:04

hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has had a listen to the LP of Tubular Bells that comes with the Ultimate Edition? Any reviews specifically of the vinyl? I was considering buying it, but the (sole) review I can find that mentions the vinyl does not rate it highly at all ( it was a review on amazon.co.uk.)

thanks,
Ewan.
Profile PM 
bluenexus Offline

Posted: June 23 2011, 08:41

I'll answer my own question in case anyone else is interested.  I did end up getting the 180 gram vinyl put out by Universal ( I assume it's the same edition as can be found in the ultimate Edition of TB) It's not great, unfortunately. Stereo separation isn't bad, and the dynamics are really quite good - the "Basses" section of Part one is very nice - deep and much more aggressive than I've heard it on CD. The surface noise, however, is unacceptably loud - very irritating in an album like TB which is filled with lovely, soft lyrical passages. It's listenable on speakers, but pretty unpleasant when coming through headphones. Tubular Bells deserves better.
So for me the search for the "ultimate" edition continues, I'm afraid...
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: July 11 2011, 17:27

I'm rather fond of the EMI100 edition myself...
Profile PM 
pilotfish Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2012, 06:46

try the original vinyl,there are plenty in mint condition on the internet for low prices

i found mine at camden town in london for 1£
plays like a Swiss watch
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2012, 07:50

Quote (pilotfish @ Jan. 30 2012, 12:46)
plays like a Swiss watch

Thank you for "Swiss watch"

Yannick
Suisse :D

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
pilotfish Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2012, 08:41

Quote (yanouch65 @ Jan. 30 2012, 07:50)
Quote (pilotfish @ Jan. 30 2012, 12:46)
plays like a Swiss watch

Thank you for "Swiss watch"

Yannick
Suisse :D

you're welcome :-)
Profile PM 
AUTOMATIC 18 Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2012, 12:30

I really do think modern day reissues of an album is mainly for the CD market. I reckon 9 times out of 10 the Vinyl is pressed from a digital master. Just look an 'Incantatiions' for argument sake, the glitch in part 4 is also on the LP! When the record company re-releases say Tubular Bells they press a single CD, a deluxe edition and then the Box set with all the bells and whistles for the fans with dosh to throw away. The only reason they re-press an LP version is because the fans of Mike Oldfield, Pink Floyd and The Beatles and the likes are of a certain age and vinyl is of nostalgic value to them. They make no money from the 1000 LPs they churn out as the CD and download is where the bread is! I love vinyl but I am time and time again disappointed with modern re-presses. The original is always better to my ears, remastering or re-EQ makes no difference! Modern day LP reissues are loss leaders in my opinion and I always go back to the original! I would love the new Platinum blue LP but I have 2 original LPs, I have the U.S. Airborne version and a version on Impressions. They all sound absolutely superb and are without doubt 100% analog masters so I doubt the new LP could match them for sound because there must be 'digital' in there somewhere!!
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2012, 20:05

@ Automatic 18: I don't think it's always like that. Indeed, I think it's like that only for the Universal releases, especially their "Back to Black" series. I have the modern reissue of TB on vinyl and I've got an original 1973 (or '74?) issue on picture disc, and they do sound different. But, on the other hand, I have two versions of a box set including all six studio albums by The Doors: one on CD (Perception) and one on vinyl (The Doors: Vinyl Box Set). The vinyls sound quite different from the CDs, so, although the vinyl set was released later than the CD one, they can't have been made from the same (new, digital) masters. Also, on the vinyl version of The Doors (their first, eponymous album), you can clearly hear that "Light My Fire" is sped up, while on the CD version the song is at the correct speed. This is mentioned in the liner notes within the CD, while a sheet within the vinyl box set explicitly specifies that the old master (with the sped-up song) was chosen for the LP release in order to give to the release itself an added value for collectors. (The other songs on the same vinyl album, especially "The End", also sound different from the CD.) Also, I have two versions of the 3oth Anniversary release of Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon: vinyl and CD. Again, they sound different. The vinyl has a certain depth and sonic impact which is typical of old vinyls; the CD, although it sounds much brighter and cleaner than all previous versions and all its subsequent ones [it's better than the 2011 remaster in the Oh, By the Way box set, and it's also better than the 2012 remaster for the DSotM "Immersion" 5-disc box set!], lacks a bit of that impact - I'd say that the two releases complete each other. :) So, to me, the fact that an album reissue turns out to be better or worse than the original print definitely depends on which album is being reissued, and, a bit lesser, on which label it is being reissued. :cool:

I also don't think that vinyl reissues are only for aged people. I can easily picture a kid of today browsing through his dad's record collection, finding a copy of The Doors (as above), being mesmerized by it (because that kind of music still does that in 2012) although the record is old and scratched, and wanting to hear it better, in a cleaner way. That kid probably won't go straight for the CD reissue, but he'll listen to his dad, the real connoisseur, telling him that vintage rock sounds better on vinyl, and he'll buy the vinyl reissue. This, I think, is very likely to happen with all contemporary reissues of really classic albums.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 20 2012, 12:23

It should be stated that vinyl records are becoming mainstream again, so no, LP reissues are not only for the older crowds. In fact, I think the older crowds are more likely to find the "vintage" issues, while the younger people will want to get the LP reissues. This is speculation, though, but I do know that vinyl is getting very popular with the younger crowds.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2012, 14:28

I have to agree that vinyl rules BUT !!!!!

Its also down to the mastering and vinyl cut....
I have the brand new QE2 and the original.
The old LP blows the new one away.
Yes the new one is louder and consistently louder.
BUT the mastering has killed the dynamics.
The other thing is a lot of people just stick the CD master files onto vinyl.MISTAKE., as the CD is 44.1 and 16 bit.
A lot of people master the material and then just put that onto vinyl.
Vinyl has a massive bandwidth and can handle and play back a lot more audio information.
The key is to master the audio the the highest degree 96K + then put that file onto vinyl.
IN THE OLD days they would of course cut straight from the analogue master to vinyl.Thus keeping the fall bandwidth.
These days they DIGITISE the files , then put that onto vinyl.
....SOOOOOO ...enough of that ,you just have to hear it and there is such a massive difference.
Playing QE2 original vinyl, actually converted me to going back to vinyl.There was so much bottom end and lush,warm top end.HUGE dynamics and such width.
All missing from the new vinyl and the CD is good ( no scratches or clicks)...BUT so sterile.
Profile PM 
9 replies since Mar. 08 2011, 02:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net