Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Vinyl paradise (in a local bookstore)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 01 2009, 13:26

There's a bookstore near my house (it ain't really NEAR, but it ain't too far either), which I had visited only very few times before. My lady had invited me for a lecture on last Sunday afternoon (it was Java programming for Google Android -- you might understand the kind of couple we are when I say we [í]enjoyed it a lot[/i]), and before it started we took a walk through the place, and then, I found it -- a shelf space devoted entirely to vinyl records. And I'm not talking about old used records: I'm talking about BRAND NEW LP's, albums both old and new. Just on the top of the piles I could see stuff like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco, Death Magnetic by Metallica, Merriweather Post Pavilion by Animal Collective, Blonde on Blonde by Bob Dylan and others I don't even recall right now. Needless to say, I felt like a little kid in a candy store, but I didn't go too wild because I have to dunk my lady very slowly into my mad obsession for music ( :p ). The CD shelves were quite massive too, and to my surprise, they had the 2009 edition of Tubular Bells. I reached to show it to her and remarked, "I'm crazy about this one!".

One thing to notice is that the bookstore is quite, um, "high profile", and none of the items have price tags in them. You have to put the barcode on little scanners in order to see the price. I assume it's a way to FIRST fill you with enthusiasm, and THEN dig the knife on your back, so you'll still have that annoying urge to buy anyway. I had NO IDEA what they're charging for one record of those, and browsing the websive, I see it's more than a tenth of my payment. In terms of values: Merriweather Post Pavilion is R$ 147. A CD isn't higher than R$ 50. An used LP purchased downtown, in good state, costs usually R$ 10 or R$ 15. So, yes, out of question. Too bad, but at least I can visit that place more often when I feel like drooling a little.

(also, on the intermission of the lecture, we went downstairs to have -- very expensive -- coffee, and I noticed a senior couple sitting behind us had Vangeis's Oceanic, among other CDs, on their table. I didn't think I'd meet other Vangelis admirers in my town, so it made me feel happy. :) )

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 01 2009, 13:43

Man, if I could go back in time........Not that I'm a big fan......but Elvis Presley. When I was a kid these albums were dirt cheap(well normal price for the time). Now, I find, Elvis records are worth a fortune, top of the list for big bucks. Time travel, such a dream. I get spam mail from a record dealer and, bar none, if you look on vintage vinyl sites, the Elvis LP's and singles are worth a fortune. In the next life I will fill a warehouse with Elvis albums and 70's Star wars paraphernalia, and Doors, Joplin, Hendrix concert promo posters sealed in vaccuum plastic wrap.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2009, 07:25

I really miss buying new vinyl.The usual moan really.The cd is so damn small.I loved the feeling as a kid of going and buying an LP and everyone knew what you'd bought from the bag (and at the time having bought an LP at 12 or 13 years old was a cool thing-unless it was from WH Smith,they were never ever cool).Now you stuff the thing in your jacket pocket.And now cd's are going the way of vinyl?Dammit!!!
Thank the gods for second hand record stores.My daughters look at me like i'm mad when i fire up the turntable.But then, them being 21st century kids, they can hardly work a cd player either.They can work Rock Band on the Wii which is better than me.Switch it on?.....no problem.Actually play the game?.....errrrrr...... :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2009, 11:53

More power to ya! Buy those records! Run your turntable thru your soundcard and wash the pops/noise out with software(in real time, you don't need to save. Take your sound card line-out to your "Hi-fi" and jam. I approve, wholeheartedly.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2009, 12:12

Actually you got me to thinkin' 'bout going to the 2nd hand outlets and buying vinyl this weekend. It's fun going thru rows and stax of records.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
4 replies since Sep. 01 2009, 13:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net