Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Vacuum Cleaner in 1971 Demo< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 28 2005, 20:13

I was playing  the 1971 Demo versions of Tubular Bells earlier, call me a cloth eared nincompoop :O :/ , but I can never seem to pick out the vacuum cleaner in the mix. Where in the mix can it be heard?, as I thought it would be more prominent.  Was the vacuum      cleaner used in the finished recording of the album or was it edited out?  Please can anyone help.
 :)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2005, 02:12

Just reading the title, I thought you were going to ask which type of vacuum cleaner he used (wouldn't be surprised, seeing as how curious some people are as to the technical details of his recordings! ;))

Not having heard the TB Demos yet, I can't tell you for sure, but I seem to remember reading that the hoover track is not included? Don't quote me on that though. I'm pretty sure that there is no hoover on the finished TB. I think it was originally meant to imitate the drone of bagpipes.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 29 2005, 03:07

No, it's not your ears, it's just not there. This leads me to a little theory of mine...

I don't think that what's on the DVD-A is the first demo at all. Mike recorded a new version later on, partly while he was at The Manor (but before he was granted the use of the studio), which Tom Newman said was missing the hoover/bagpipes part. I believe that they then transferred the newer demo to a more stable tape, which could well be what Mike found in his attic when looking for material for the DVD-A.

One thing to support this theory is that there are cymbals and hi-hats on the demo presented on the DVD-A. It would seem more likely that Mike pinched those from somewhere in The Manor than had them lying around his flat (he's never mentioned it before, certainly). Difficult to say of course, he did manage to borrow the tape recorder, so he could have borrowed all sorts of other things. The lack of the hoover is the most conclusive proof of it not being the very first demo.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2005, 04:17

Quote (Holger @ Nov. 29 2005, 07:12)
Just reading the title, I thought you were going to ask which type of vacuum cleaner he used (wouldn't be surprised, seeing as how curious some people are as to the technical details of his recordings! ;))

BTW, now you come to mention it does anyone know what make/model of vacuum cleaner Mike used  :laugh:.

Korgscrew   Posted on Nov. 29 2005, 08:07No, it's not your ears, it's just not there. This leads me to a little theory of mine...

I don't think that what's on the DVD-A is the first demo at all. Mike recorded a new version later on, partly while he was at The Manor (but before he was granted the use of the studio), which Tom Newman said was missing the hoover/bagpipes part. I believe that they then transferred the newer demo to a more stable tape, which could well be what Mike found in his attic when looking for material for the DVD-A.

One thing to support this theory is that there are cymbals and hi-hats on the demo presented on the DVD-A. It would seem more likely that Mike pinched those from somewhere in The Manor than had them lying around his flat (he's never mentioned it before, certainly). Difficult to say of course, he did manage to borrow the tape recorder, so he could have borrowed all sorts of other things. The lack of the hoover is the most conclusive proof of it not being the very first demo.

So I'm not a cloth eared nincompoop then?? :cool:  :D.  I was listening for something thay wasn't there.  Thanks Korgscrew and Holger you've answered my question, but I've another question now.

Call me anoraky but I like to hear a recording from the most raw demo versions through to the finished product. Do you know if I can find the earlier demos anywhere, or is this like trying to find a needle in a haystack?

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2005, 04:53

The earlier demos have not been released, nor leaked in any way to the best of my knowledge, and I guess Mike will make sure they never will without his consent! The release of those demos on the TB2003 DVD-A was already a bit of a sensation, and certainly very unexpected.

You might be interested in hearing the "early stages" of TBII though, if you haven't already. In this case, apart from the one track that's officially been released as a single b-side, a fair number of tracks have actually leaked to the internet.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 30 2005, 17:50

I think more than Mike not allowing the release of the early demos, he quite likely doesn't even have them. I think that what was released on the DVD-A was all he could find.
Profile PM 
5 replies since Nov. 28 2005, 20:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net