Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: USA fan(this is bound to be a small topic :-)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alnilam Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 26 2001, 16:25

Hi Fox, I feel exactly how you do in your first post. MO is so hard to find around here. I am in Pennslvania. I am tired of all of these Americans listening to rap and such, and not even giving MO and similar music a chance just because it's not about crime, sex and drugs. I have convinced a few of my friends to give MO a try, and they completely loved it. I have a feeling that eterna will be on this board soon, I just registered for it.

I hadn't even heard of Mike until I found my dad's TSODE lying around, and listened to it. I loved it, he said I could have it, and I went on to buy more CDs. That was about 6 months ago.

I've never even seen a Mike Oldfield concert, and I can't find any videos of it anywhere around here. I'm thinking of trying Suncoast. They have a lot of uncommon stuff in their huge book of special orders. Just today I was ecstatic to find a 2-sided DVD with TB2 and TB3 concerts on it, then I was completely shattered to see, in small red text, Region 2 encoding (Europe, Middle East & Japan only). I was enraged, and I couldn't even find an e-mail addy on amazon.co.uk to send a polite complaint to.

Well I'm getting tired of typing, so goodbye, American MO fans, we are indeed a rare breed. Btw, my 3 really good friends that I got to love MO, one of which loves his music just as much as me and the other 2 of which just like it, and I are going to throw Mike a b-day party on his birthday. We're going to play all of the Oldfield CDs we have, and I hope it'll turn out well.

-Alnilam

--------------
-Alni
Profile PM 
Alnilam Offline

Posted: April 26 2001, 17:04

Hi, it's me again. I just read GMOVJ's post about how kids usually just go with fads. I take a bit of offense to this stereotype, seeing as I am a kid. I also take a lot of offense to all of that crap about "Kids can't handle themselves on the internet, so they can't be allowed on it cause they're stupid." I know, that has nothing to do with this topic, but I just thought while I was on the topic of child stereotypes...

Well anyways have fun everybody, and GMOVJ, I'm not mad at you or anything, just voicing myself. smile
-Alnilam

--------------
-Alni
Profile PM 
Alnilam Offline

Posted: April 26 2001, 17:15

Hi me again, sorry once again, I had just been skimming it and I didn't notice that GMOVJ was quoting, I meant to say Ebneezer. I'm not mad at you, eb, just voicing... But I feel exactly as you people do...I am really annoyed at a lot of this stuff. I always have to special order my MO albums from Borders. I think one of the things it that first of all, many Americans tend to automatically assume that all music with no lyrics is crap, and a lot of MO songs don't have lyrics. Also, just because he doesn't follow the general "style" of the "Popular" artists, he is assumed to be crappy. It seems to be almost a discouragement (is that a word?) of free thinking and creativity! As to how the U.S. switched genres between the decades, I don't know. Maybe up until now people where more accepting. Right now, though, I doubt that a genre change would be possible. By genre change, I mean the "popular" music genre changing. Right now it's, as most of you have said, pop/hip-hop/rap. Pop can sometimes be good, but the other 2, hip-hop and rap, are icky. The latter even worse.

I think the states could really use a genre change, but I doubt it is very possible. I know I will probably look odd making a few posts in a row, but I messed up in the previous ones, and in the heat of writing the corrections I thought of more to say.
-Alnilam

--------------
-Alni
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: April 27 2001, 02:57

Hi US Fans

It's OK, Alnilam i'm not upset... but the main things was not about kid, but about Majors and money
wink
Regards,
GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 27 2001, 01:25

it burns me up too that nobody in North America knows about mike (i say north america cuz i live in Canada and its exactly the same as the US). I ask somebody if they ever heard of Mike Oldfield..."whos that?" is my response....ugh....i let them listen to it and they're like "turn that crap off and lets listen to some Eminem!" ARGGG HAAAATE EMINEM!!! ERGGGGG....so i just say ok fine and leave...it really ticks me off.
I can't see how anybody can get turned down by such things as TBII and III and TSODE (my favorite!) Ppl are so pre-opinionated that the first thing they hear (which is usually rock, heavy metal, pop, hip hop or rap) is what they love and nothing can convince them otherwise....thus mike oldfield doens't have a chance..

I make music myself and a lot of it is inspired by MO. Maybe if i do kind of the same idea as Mike, ppl would notice me here and like the music and then notice Mike who's been around even longer!!!.....well you never know...we all have our dreams. smile

all the MO fans of NA should gather together and make a stand! fight to the death! until Mike's music is free to roam NA!!!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: June 27 2001, 11:54

I think i might have found a light at the end of the dark tunnel that is North America. Back in April, i was in a Sam Goody store at Woodfield Mall and i thought, "well, i doubt it, but i'll check if they have any MO". I searched, expecting to find the normal few TB cds, an occasional TSODE, and/or Amarok, like all the other stores.

When suddenly, i found it! and it was THE MILLENNNIUM BELL! oh sweet success! (before i noted that it was almost impossible to get his recent stuff w/out suring the net).

And, i didn't have to pay a higher price becuase it didn't have a huge "import" sticker on it! It was the last CD too. i felt elated smile

I don't know if this trend will continue, and actually i haven't been back to that Sam Goody to see if they have restocked their MO collection.

it was a good day.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 27 2001, 16:32

Milennium Bell is the one cd that i see in every music store.....i cant find anything else...except for tbII, tb remastered, Crises remastered, and i think i seen tbIII a loooong time ago...but almost every music store i go to if they have mike oldfield there its usually milennium bell and tbII

well long ago i seen XXv, TBIII, and a couple others in a store somewhere...i cant remember where.....but i cant seem to find his old stuff! all i see is his new stuff...i dont even see tsode anywhere...which is strange...the TSODE version i have is the eruoperon cover with the ray on the front and the crescent scene...but i downloaded the other cover and printed it out and use that instead smile...

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
TubularUSA Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2001, 12:39

It seems that we (MO fans) all face the same issues in the U.S.:

1). Can't easily tell people what type of music we like, let alone explain who Mike Oldfield is.

2). Can't rely on buying MO CDs at local record stores. My opinion is screw them, I'd rather buy on-line anyway.
-------------------------------------
The good news is that anyone can easily buy all of Mike Oldfield CDs from:

www.cdnow.com and www.amazon.com

They have all the remastered HDCD U.S. releases from Caroline Records.

Also, if it's DVDs that you're after, you should purchase only NTSC versions (usually released in Japan only). The PAL versions readily available at UK distributors and importers will definately not be playable on U.S. televisions. However, with NTSC, you can buy an inexpensive Region Free DVD player and be able to watch the NTSC versions on your television.

You can muttle through the order screens at:

www.amazon.co.jp

They have both the TBII/III and Art in Heaven concerts on DVD. You will need to refer to www.amazon.co.uk as a reference.
------------------------------
I think we should try and stick together and possibly trade bootleg CDRs if possble. They're hard to find, but are really awesome! If anyone has some and is interested, please send me an email.

TubularUSA
Profile PM 
27 replies since Feb. 06 2000, 15:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net