Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Unknown versions/remixes of Oldfield tracks< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bubulartells Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 07 2007, 13:38

Hello,

I've uploaded for you two tracks which are originally by Mike Oldfield, but these versions are definitively neither the album versions nor remixes known to me. They sound pretty good and professionally arranged... I have no idea who've created them.

Both tracks are originally from "The Songs of Distant Earth":

Hibernaculum
http://www.megaupload.com/en/?d=L9YVB6PR

[edit] Due to the bad performance of megaupload.com I've uploaded it also here: http://uploaded.to/?lang=ENG&id=6egnay

and

Lament for Atlantis
http://www.megaupload.com/en/?d=DXMOY7VQ

[edit] Due to the bad performance of megaupload.com I've uploaded it also here: http://uploaded.to/?lang=ENG&id=uc2vlc

Does anybody know these versions/remixes (?) and who made them?

Thanks a lot!

Regards, Peter
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2007, 15:48

These are most certainly not by Mike - if they were remixes of original M.O. tracks, they would feature key elements of the originals, and they don't - for example the choir in Hibernaculum doesn't sing any words, while in Mike's original they do (they're fake Latin words, but they're there! :D). So I think that these two mp3s are cover versions. But I have no idea on their maker(s)...

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
bubulartells Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2007, 16:09

Hi,

Thanks... that's a start. I already assumed that it are cover versions. By the way I didn't know that the vocals on Oldfield's Hibernaculum are faked Latin... ;)

I compared this Lament for Atlantis version with the original track from the album - it's nearly identical to the original version! :O

As I already wrote I think both tracks are imho professionally arranged... but I really wonder who did it?!

Regards, Peter
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2007, 12:08

Quote (bubulartells @ Jan. 08 2007, 22:09)
By the way I didn't know that the vocals on Oldfield's Hibernaculum are faked Latin... ;)

Yes, sure they are, at least IMO. Apart from what other forum members may think :D, I've always heard those words as "Laudamus Domino / Cantimus Domito / Pleni sunt caeli / et mundus vesperi". This looks like Latin but means absolutely nothing. :D

About "Lament for Atlantis" and the fact that the recordings sound professional: yes, sure they do. One of the main features of all the covers of 'electronic'-based music I've heard up to now is really the fact that the recordings sound professional, and the arrangements are almost identical to the originals. :) May these be by "Studio 99" ? They are a phantomatic studio recording band (or maybe it is only one person...) who recorded a cover of Tubular Bells, and who I know have many Oldfield covers in their catalogue. I have no idea who "Studio 99" really is/are, maybe they're different people on every record... :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
bubulartells Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2007, 14:20

Hello,

I've checked "Studio 99" - never heard of them before - but AFAI could research they only covered Tubular Bells and nothing else of Mike Oldfield. And the sound isn't also the same style if you know what I mean.

Is there anybody else who could have produced these cover versions? Any ideas? Thanks.

Regards, Peter
Profile PM 
4 replies since Jan. 07 2007, 13:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net