Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Unifying theme of Incantations?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 23 2005, 12:44

The ascending note motif (arpeggio?) is found throughout "Incantations". It's the one unveiled at the very beginning before the gong. I find it through much of the entire work. However, I have not found it in EVERY section...

Has someone less cloth-eared than I been able to discern the basic patterin in:

- The Trumpet Pavane in the middle of side 1?
- Hiawatha?
- Queen and Huntress (last section of side 4)?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2005, 16:33

To put it quite simply, I think that the theme just isn't there. :) Yes, you're perfectly right to say that the arpeggio is the founding or unifying theme of Incantations. In The Essential, Mike called it a chord, though strictly speaking it isn't a chord; he said that the whole of Inc. was built over it, and that it was featured also in Guilty (and indeed you can hear it also there). But, as a unifying theme, it doesn't necessarily have to be in every single part of the work. To quote another example, not all of Amarok is built on the "A" theme (the fast riff one), but that theme, nevertheless, repeats constantly through the whole thing. It unifies the work even if it's not present everywhere :)

Of course this is just what I think! :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2007, 21:50

About Incantations and that pattern, used all through the album, Mike just picked the simplest election to buil it: just every chord being a 4th down the one before, or, what is the same, first descending a 4th down, then ascending a 5th up, which is pretty the same as descending a 4th down but just an octave higher. I hope to have put it clear and simple enough.

For me it's admirable how just from such a simple and basic pattern Mike creates a whole oeuvre which is for me one of the masterpieces of instrumental music, and always will be. If you notice in more than 50% of the album you can find this pattern as a harmonic sequence, or just as well the opposite one (ascending 4ths, as in the beginning of side 2).

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2007, 17:34

I knew the piece back to front, then learned how to play the guitar, which enabled me to imagine how he could have fallen over the theme.  It is pure genius the way he worked it though.  There are a few basic musical "needs" expressed in this phrase which are hard to explain.  The need for resolution, the need for complexity, and the need for melody.  He might have been a young gimboid, but he was brilliant.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2007, 19:16

You're right ;).

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2007, 19:39

Anyway, trying to get further on as Ugo and Hiawatha were trying before, is there any conceptual theme behind the album, or is it we try to take things too far?? good question :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
5 replies since Feb. 23 2005, 12:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net