Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Uncredited female singers?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 16 2001, 16:45

Maybe my ears decieve me, but I think there are some female voices near the end of Hostage and Far Country. Any ideas? -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 16 2001, 17:42

There IS a credited female singer in Hostage...Nikkie "B" Bentley. Check what's written after "Additional Vocals" under that song's lyrics... smile wink
On the other hand (at least, as far as I can hear) on Far Country there are no other singers than Mark Williamson. The high-pitched notes you can hear at the end are by Mark, singing falsetto. wink biggrin

But I also have a question for you smile: who is the shouting voice at the start of Runaway Son? (Mike???) And what does he shout?

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: May 17 2001, 15:04

Right, Ugo. I didn't know Nikkie is a female name.
Yes, there's someone shouting at the beginning. Only in the left channel. I make it:
HEY YOU
AND THE [...] YOU ARE PREACHING
[...] ANY TIME AT ANY PLACE
And near the end, with a different sound:
HE DON'T CARE HOW YOU SHAKE AND RATTLE
ALL HE WANT YOU TO DO
IS NOT LOOK BACK
AND KEEP YOUR EYES STRAIGHT AHEAD
The latter is IMO not Mike.
The HE could maybe mean God.
Could be some (imitation of a) TV preacher (?)

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 17 2001, 18:04

It sounds like an american preacher to me, of the rather fanatical type.

It's distorted to turn it into more abstract mumblings...sounds at the start like "You hear me..." I can't really pick out anything that makes particular sense after that...perhaps what Carsten says is right, I don't really know (I vaguely pick out 'I am the blood of youth' then words like 'charity' and 'excitement' towards the end, but that's a bit of a guess).

A couple words I can't quite make out around 2:37, then "...when this young man wasted his substance in wrath. He wasted that which had been given to him..." then a couple more words I can't quite make out.

A couple more fragments from 3:25 "I know it helps(?)...to seize him with open arms...you always can get anything you want..." massed cheering and applause, the guy coughs, says "I love this (something) can you hear me? He won't care how much you stumble, his big arms can hold you." Then as Carsten says "He doesn't care how much you shake and rattle, all you have to do is not look back and keep your eyes straight ahead and keep..." which is where it fades out.

Anyway, this guy is obviously preaching to a massed crowd - you can even hear the slight echo on some of his coughs going through the PA system. He seems to be talking about something vaguely related to the idea of the runaway son, people sinning, god accepting them back, something like that...
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: May 18 2001, 17:41

Right, Korgscrew. Good research.
(There are still some more words, I think.)
Now who is that preacher? I've only heard of one popular US preacher: Billy Graham. Also, it slightly reminds me of James Brown's appearance in the movie Blues Brothers. US fans, can you help us?

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
4 replies since May 16 2001, 16:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net