Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ultimate Hergest Ridge< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
El Mystico Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 03 2009, 09:56

Who knows what will happen; but it can be fun to speculate...

If thery decide to do an Ultimate Hergest Ridge, what would you like to see on it?

I'd be looking for a mix which was the best of the original mix and of the Boxed mix (in Surround Sound of course); the Orchestral Hergest Ridge; and any demos...
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 03 2009, 14:34

Just the Porky cut original. Maybe tweaked with advanced software and what not. But no "boxed" mix. Bury that one forever......

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: June 03 2009, 14:53

HG2003  :p
actually yeah, gimme HG rerecorded
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 03 2009, 16:21

If the multitrack tapes are still available I guess one could make a better mix than the two available.

But please, no re-recordings. The de-tuned overdubs and the fluctuating tempi are essential to the HR experience. Just imagine the intro with a crystal clear synth pad and preset VSTi pipes. The Thunderstorm sequence would propably be re-born as a heavy metal number, possibly with added "humour" in some form.

But this will never happen of course. It's as likely as the Orchestral Earth Moving (which actually has a thread on this forum).

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Jesse Offline

Posted: June 03 2009, 17:50

no synth pads, but play it like tb 2003, with the original instruments and let the composition come out clearly.

You can still listen to the old version :P
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 03 2009, 17:52

The "Ultimate Hergest Ridge" (that really doesn't sound right...) would of course have to include the original mix, the Boxed mix, and The Orchestral HR. I seem to remember there being more than one recording of OHR actually? As far as rarities are concerned, are there actually any that are specifically from the HR era? Froggy Went A-Courting maybe (probably belongs more with TB) or the first version of In Dulci Jubilo? The extract from Star's End? (I see a possibility for a second extract...) The track from Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom that has Mike? It seems that, other than the three versions of HR themselves, Mike material from that specific era is few and far between... (Edit: I think The Path was actually recorded during that time, though it wasn't officially released until much later.)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 04 2009, 06:12

The Path dates from 1979.I'd be happy with the original mix and OHR.The Boxed mix is availalbe elsewhere already.
Can't really see what other part of Star's End could be used apart from the extract included on Boxed.There's a stunning little guitar part on part 2 but it really is very short. Mike Oldfields Single would actually fit better on this than on TB as,chronologically it's closer and it sounds closer in texture to HR than TB with the oboe etc.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: June 04 2009, 12:22

Personally, I'd like to see a nice box set containing all three versions of HR, with the orginal and the orchestral having been remastered but not rerecorded. If Mike would like to add a bonus "Hergest Ridge 2009" disc, well, I certainly wouldn't complain, (in fact, I'd be beside myself!;) The package would be lavish, including a booklet with actual photos of the ridge, and photos of him at the time the original was recorded. I recently received an orginal 1930's postcard of HR and cherish it as part of my MO collection. Some goodies like these would be nice in the boxed set too. Of course, being a die-hard HR fan, I always dreamed of a HR picture record being released, to no avail.... Oh, and some short-but-sweet heavy metal remixes of the "thunderstorm" part would be most welcome in my "Hergest Ridge - Ultimate Edition Boxed Set."

I'll keep dreaming.....
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 04 2009, 12:31

What a cool idea.Shame it'll probably never happen.I'm really looking forward to the HR re-issue though.If Korg is to be believed then there should be some interesting stuff.To be honest Mercury will have to do something interesting to get people to re-buy stuff that's already been re-isued several times.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 04 2009, 12:43

Quote (The Caveman @ June 04 2009, 12:12)
Can't really see what other part of Star's End could be used apart from the extract included on Boxed.There's a stunning little guitar part on part 2 but it really is very short.

That's the one I'm thinking of. Yes, it's short. :)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 04 2009, 13:59

Quote (HRFanUSA @ June 04 2009, 12:22)
I recently received an orginal 1930's postcard of HR and cherish it as part of my MO collection.

That's great! You don't happen to have a scan?

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
10 replies since June 03 2009, 09:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net