Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (11) < ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular.net project., An idea that need everyone.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
maria Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 02 2006, 06:07

brandon, even if Bridge to Babel could sound dark considering the biblical history, since babylonians were punished when they wanted to build a tower to reach heavens, in my imagination it has got an optimistic feeling.
this adventure starts now somehow where our ancestors' finished. humans were then spread on the earth and condemned to the misunderstanding by speaking different languages, we are sons of that. however, the tower has remained somewhere in the dark of our species memory as a bright symbol of the possibility of harmony in the difference. it has always been a dream to be able to communicate and reach understanding, and i think music's maybe one of the languages more capable of doing that.

Bridge to Babel means to me an attempt to build something among people spread on the world by using a universal language as music is and so, create together a composition despite the difficulties of the languages. this project may be a bridge to get that dream.

i don't know what the result will be.. there's a risk of destruction, that's true, but that's how life always is.. however, i think no divinity would be offended by a beautiful piece of music.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 02 2006, 06:49

I think what is inspiring María is the same kind of thing as is inspiring me about this project: it's the coming together of all these talents - these separate voices - so that the whole becomes a unity that is far greater than the sum of the parts. María's 'Bridge to Babel' is a healing process: a way of linking across disparate cultures, backgrounds, interests and languages, and uniting all of them in a common voice that everyone can understand because it goes beyond language. I think whatever title is chosen, it would really mean something if it reflected that unifying aspect of the project.

Some related ideas that have just popped out as I wrote this:

The Babel Project

The Network Project

The Babel Network
Profile PM 
DCDayDreamer Offline

Posted: April 02 2006, 07:43

Every time someone mentions the name Babel, I have this vision of someone sticking a small fish into his ear...

Network 42

42 being the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything!, (it's a shame the number has already been used and would be associated with a pop band from the 80's - Level 42).

Maybe you should just name the band 'Don't Panic'. :laugh:
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: April 02 2006, 07:47

Quote (DCDayDreamer @ April 02 2006, 13:43)
Maybe you should just name the band 'Don't Panic'. :laugh:

Or 'Mostly Harmless' ;)

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: April 02 2006, 15:29

Aunt Butler's Band    ;)

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: April 02 2006, 16:46

The Anoraks

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: April 02 2006, 19:37

My question still has not been answered, how does one get onto this project?
Profile PM WEB 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: April 02 2006, 20:20

Quote (ian @ April 03 2006, 01:37)

Easy: just post a message here with your musical skills (i.e. wich instruments do you play), download the demo track (in the first post) and tell us your ideas and suggestions.

I'm currently preparing a groupware site where we'll be able to upload each part and each track and where we can track the entire proccess, but it won't be ready until Easter Holidays (my job's keeping me vary busy). Until then, we're all using this thread for everything relating to the instrumental project.

The current discussion is about the name we should use... and I think that we have propossed around 6 or 7 different names... each one ;) Btw, two more: "The Dotnetters" or "The Tubular Dotnetters"

See you around,

-- Wayfarer

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Morti Offline

Posted: April 03 2006, 17:57

I'd be interested in joining this but I haven't read through this whole thread yet.

Where's the most recent stuff, demo etc? How far have we got to? I feel a quick summary is in order, if it's not too much trouble.

Incidentally, I play guitar (electric, acoustic, classical and bass), a bit of synths (on a Roland D-50, so if you want the composition to sound more "80s"...) and some other random bits and bobs. Not much original there in terms of the instruments I play but I might be able to contribute something and I'd certainly like to.

--------------
The ear worm became the synonym for the commercial side of MIKE OLDFIELD.
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: April 03 2006, 18:07

Quote (ian @ April 03 2006, 00:37)

Ian,

I think you just upload you comtribution to Darkenededo and he will mix the final mix including everything he can  - musically.

Post away.  What I did was to down load the based track and add on my track - you need some method of recording you contribution and submit it as an MP3, both in mixed in and as a solo instrument.  At least that what i did.

Sorry - missed your question last time.  if your struggling send it to me. burt you need to send me a private message to get my email.

Ray   :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: April 03 2006, 18:11

Quote (Morti @ April 03 2006, 22:57)
I'd be interested in joining this but I haven't read through this whole thread yet.

Where's the most recent stuff, demo etc? How far have we got to? I feel a quick summary is in order, if it's not too much trouble.

Incidentally, I play guitar (electric, acoustic, classical and bass), a bit of synths (on a Roland D-50, so if you want the composition to sound more "80s"...) and some other random bits and bobs. Not much original there in terms of the instruments I play but I might be able to contribute something and I'd certainly like to.

Morti,

Welcome - see post 2 on page 8 that I made last week - it give you a summary and an overview - consider yourself added.  See post above for what to do to add music - if you want - send your MP3 to me and i'll put some stuff together to send to DarkenedEdo

Ray :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: April 07 2006, 06:57

Ok, did my first uploads.
Do not expect to much of it.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
SHINE Offline

Posted: April 22 2006, 10:32

Hi,
I'm happy to see/hear this project, were I find old and new friends. I like very much the idea and the music. So if you want, I'd like to give something of mine for it, but don't be afraid, it won't be a musical collaboration.
While reading to this thread, I found Maria's idea about the name for one of the pieces of the project, "Bridge to Babel". That name, the idea and the project itself "inspired" this images you can see:                                                       here

or here

These images were concevived for the project, so if you like them you can use them for it.
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: April 22 2006, 15:31

Hi Gaspar, long time no hear.
Nice pics.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: April 23 2006, 18:12

Hi there!

How's the project going on? It looks that everyone is still enjoying the Easter holidays! ;)

I'll get my new mixing desk in a week so I'll be able to record my percussions in a decent quality :D

-- Wayfarer

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: June 20 2006, 19:09

Hello?

Is the project still alive?

Is anybody out there??

-- Wayfarer

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 21 2006, 12:26

I don't know, Wayfarer... it seems as though all the music forums here are pretty quiet right now...

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2006, 20:13

Hello everyone!

I've enabled a collaborative software (PHP+MySQL) on one of my servers in order to keep the project alive and organized.

Just browse to www.oldfield.es/jam and login with the username and password that you will receive as soon as I get the request. Just send me a mail to wayfarer at hotpop dot com and I'll create your user there.

I have a full 20GB of HD space and 1TB of monthly transfer, which should be enough to host all the project files ;)

Let's see if we can have it recorded before Xmas :P

-- Wayfarer

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2006, 09:47

Quote (Moz @ June 21 2006, 12:26)
I don't know, Wayfarer... it seems as though all the music forums here are pretty quiet right now...

I know of a lot of people that they're interested, so hope to get it going.
I'd like to join in a music project, even in a small role. I like the idea
I play bass by the way :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 03 2006, 14:10

I currently have zero time to be able to put into this anymore. Since I've gotten married I've been nothing but busy every day all day. I don't know about anybody else, though.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
200 replies since Mar. 18 2006, 07:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (11) < ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net