Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular.Net 2008 to 2010, What a whirlwind!.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 419 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 22 2010, 07:13

So much has happened here since 2008 and the release of MOTS. Then the nomination for best classical album of the year. The birth of baby Eugene to Mike and Fanny. Mike moved to Spain then left spain. Moved to the Bahamas. Released the Ultimate Edition in 2009. Was Mike's life always this busy? I think I have been lucky to discover his music, he may be retiring. I regret never seeing him perform, but thank heavens for DVDs. I really missed the best years of Mike's music career. Deb
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2010, 09:05

never seen him in concert either and like you probably never will
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2010, 09:30

I saw him in 1984, 1993, 1999, 2006 (twice), 2007 and 2008.

Unfortunately, my favourite concert is the Tubular Bells II Premiere in Edinburgh and....I was not there! :/

Anyway, my first concert in 1984 in Lausanne is still in my mind... :)

PS: by the way Olivier, you can add the world premiere of MOTS to the Tours section... ;)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Jan. 22 2010, 09:49

Quote (Silver Negus @ Jan. 22 2010, 15:05)

By reading this I feel very sad for you. That reminds me that I have been very fortunate to see him live on stage quite often and I truly mean it:

1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1992, 1993 (3 x), 1998, 1999 (2 x), 2006 (3 x) and 2008.

I am still annoyed that I didn´t go in 1980.

:/
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2010, 12:38

I consider myself lucky,since I could see him performing live at NNOTP 2006 (3x) and one of the gigs I've attended was recorded and some bits appeared on those Best of Night of the Proms DVDs. At least I saw him playing bass live \o/

It was a long way from my former home in Brazil to Germany,but at the end I was quite ha-ha-happy. And I feel his touring days are over...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2010, 14:01

Quote (manintherain @ Jan. 22 2010, 09:49)
Quote (Silver Negus @ Jan. 22 2010, 15:05)

By reading this I feel very sad for you. That reminds me that I have been very fortunate to see him live on stage quite often and I truly mean it:

1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1992, 1993 (3 x), 1998, 1999 (2 x), 2006 (3 x) and 2008.

I am still annoyed that I didn´t go in 1980.

:/

I was a child when he was doing his concerts so didn't get the chance to see them, and when i reached my teenage years hed more or less stopped performing anyway.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2010, 16:39

I have to agree with you, I reckon his touring days ended quite a few years ago. I suppose he has been recording and playing music since his teens, so to him it would feel like "gosh I have done this for way too long" and hang up his guitar strap to actually live a "normal life"  His career probably caused problems with his relationships and affected how much time he had with his children. He has his life balanced for a change and I would rather see him be a happy dad and husband than a miserable muso. After all he gave so much of himself over the years didn't he? Deb
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2010, 23:21

I think if Mike announced tomorrow that he was going to go out on the road and perform Ommadawn or TB again etc.I`d have to say I`d be pretty dismayed myself as I`d much rather he was working on something new.Mind you that said I`d still pay to go and see him play of course,cos that`s just the kind of guy I am.What I will say is though this thread,and in line with some of the other comments going on around here at the moment put things into perspective for me.It is still less than two years ago that MOTS was released.Fair enough it was orignaly scheduled for 2007,but then it was only another couple of years prior to that,that Mike had another album out.A double album as well no less.Plus the amount of music that he created for the Tres Lunas game you could have easily have had another double album there imo.If you look at people like Yes and Jethro Tull who still regurlarly go out on the road at every given opportunity.Well great yeah if you`re into that kind of thing.But these guys hav`nt released anything new really in 9 years and 11 years respectively.Plus if you go onto their fan message boards and read what people have got to say about their latest touring exploits.You know for every positive comment there`s an equal number of "Too much Aqualung" "Too much Fragile" "They`re looking a bit tired and old these days" "Is it just me or is Steve Howe turning into Gollum" etc

What I will add is that rather depressingly,albums worldwide from people of a certain age group are starting to sell less and less.In fact albums in general seem to be pretty much on the wane sales-wise I suppose,if you take out all the compilations,remasters and re-issues etc.Plus there`s a lot more moolah to be made by going out on the road nowadays,or putting out your re-jigged back catalogue once again.Mike succeded with MOTS primarily because he geared it towards a specific market.But although L&S did fine enough in some European countries it pretty much bombed over here big time.It is an undeniable fact that these are massive contributing factors as to why people like Yes and Tull hav`nt bothered to put out anything new in so long.As only the real hardcore of their respective fan bases would probably go out and buy it.I`m sure most of us here would dearly love for Mike to really sink his creative teeth into something,and come up with another Amarok perhaps.But then I think I`m right in thinking that Amarok worldwide in terms of sales is still Mike Oldfield`s least succesful album.Imo the guy would have to be intensely motivated now,against all the success he has had over the years to want to do that...When all`s said and done though none of us truly know what if anything he`s going to do next.For all we know he could paint himself blue put on a big red hat and become the next Papa Smurf.We`re only guessing really.Although I`d wager the odds on the Smurf thing at this present time are well over the evens favourite.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2010, 01:52

When I joined around Christmas 2007, the site was abuzz about MOTS. I had been here before, as a guest, or under a name I forgot and used maybe twice on fact finding missions. It's been a journey.....even if we really don't "interact" on a face-to-face level and never will(that's cyber-space). But its great to interact with those of you from other counties, England, Australia, etc. Lots of interesting facts I have learned. A gold mine of MO information. Up until Tube-net I thought S. Oldfield sang Hiawatha. I was "corrected". Kubrick tie-in. "He is an un-ruly boy..." I've learned a lot here about Mike and others. It's been fun. I've jacked around with some in good fun....the guy who took offense to my avatar of President Bush having shoes thrown at him......that was funny as hell. The same, bitching about Mike's "Cross to bear" cartoon......even funnier, and the cartoon returned. But this thread opens up an opportunity to admit.....I am in a really sucky region for this type of music....IE interaction. Texas. You wanna talk about Stevie Ray Vaughn, this is the place. MO, no. Don't try. Why I gravitate so much to music from England I do know why, and I'll always wish I was born there.
I'm sure my ancestors were. Good night Tubularians. Thanks for 2+ years of fun. The 666 lockout.....funny. I'm still laughing.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2010, 02:10

LOL Dirk, thanks for a touch of humour and putting things in perspective! Papa Smurf, now that would be hilarious. Imagine convincing Mike to being sprayed blue and wearing the red smurfy hat! I reckon he would run for the hills screaming "are you mad, p.... Off you silly bugger." Yes highly unlikely, and all is speculation at this point. At least we have his music, thats all that matters isn't it? Deb
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2010, 02:33

Hello Deb. How's life? Good I hope....
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2010, 19:01

Howdy Jim, Im still here! And as silly as ever! I love forums like these. Before joining I knew nothing about social networking in cyberspace! I love it, I have my serious busy straightlaced life at work, friends I have a tipple with and here, where I can really relax and be myself and talk with to me the best cyber buddies in the universe. Jeez its like a bloomin rollercoaster at times but always fun! Deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2010, 09:55

This is the first and only forum i've ever been on.Just over 2 years now.Well worth the time i give to it everyday.Interms of learning stuff it's been invaluable and led me to new music i wouldn't have known about otherwise.There are a lot of good people here as well.The thread are usually interesting there have been some really funny daft ones as well.Anyone remember the "do you dunk your cheese in your beer?"thread.There are some like minded people out there after all.
 As for the future lets see what happens.I'm looking forward to the re-issues but i want to see something new.
On the live front i won't hold my breath.Dirk mentioned that he's be dismayed if he did a greatest hits type tour.I think he did this with the Then and Now tour in 99.I was lucky enough to go to the NEC and see him.While he was promoting Guitars at the time he did play Ommamdawn and some of the older stuff like Shadow In The Wall and Moonlight Shadow as well as a bit of Let There Be Light.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2010, 11:34

Quote (The Caveman @ Jan. 26 2010, 09:55)
This is the first and only forum i've ever been on.Just over 2 years now.Well worth the time i give to it everyday.

At work, checking this site is part of the preparation of gearing up - like a relaxation technique, and when I see the regular names like Caveman - Dirk Star - Nightspore - Matt - Tubular Tos - Deb - Herod - Tati - Scatterplot ... etc during the day (a lot of posters come out at night), it reassures - that all is well!

So you giving it the time is appreciated Caveman... probably helps us all get through the day :cool:.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 04:44

Funny you should say that.It's part of my morning ritual when i get here.Get in,get coffee,log on.Except the weekend and then on monday i'll have loads of posts! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 05:38

Quote (wiga @ Jan. 26 2010, 11:34)
At work, checking this site is part of the preparation of gearing up - like a relaxation technique, and when I see the regular names like Caveman - Dirk Star - Nightspore - Matt - Tubular Tos - Deb - Herod - Tati - Scatterplot ... etc during the day (a lot of posters come out at night), it reassures - that all is well!

Nice of you to say so, Wiga. Your name is always a welcome sight too. As for the posters who come out at night: you can always tell who's in the southern hemisphere - often I've noticed that Sir M, Deb and I are the only ones around. (I think Caveman is southern as well, but I think he recently said something about being in England recently, so maybe I got it wrong.)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 05:57

I'm in Southern England Nightspore (ooh arr ooh arr etc).Born and bred.Not sure why you might have thought i'm from the Southern hemesphrere.Close enough. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 08:06

Quote (The Caveman @ Jan. 27 2010, 05:57)
I'm in Southern England Nightspore (ooh arr ooh arr etc).Born and bred.Not sure why you might have thought i'm from the Southern hemesphrere.Close enough. :laugh:

Good lord - I could have sworn you were Australian!! Are Deb and I the only regularly posting Australians, then?
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 08:25

Nope.As English as whatever the most English thing you can think of (except for the Welsh and Irish parts of my family).
As far as i'm aware it's just you and Deb from Oz.
I believe one of my dad's uncle's was a £10 pom but that's about the extent of any association.

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 09:48

I think Tubular Belle is Australian(although I could be wrong) but she does`nt post much these days.
Profile PM 
19 replies since Jan. 22 2010, 07:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net