Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: TubularBells II, Best M.O Album every< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
arron11196 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 04 2008, 04:05

Quote (nightspore @ July 04 2008, 01:34)
Quote (arron11196 @ July 03 2008, 05:49)
I've heard people mention that, nightspore, and yet, even though it was selected for the backing of a horror film, I've never yet been able to see the "darkness" in TB. To me, it smacks more of "Teenage intensity" - not that I am belittling the output by restricting it to an agegroup, far from it. I think we can all have that teenage intensity inside sometimes, and I think TB does a damn good job of describing what that's all about.

Arron, low notes tend to be used in music when something ominous or large (and I suppose large things tend to be more ominous!;) is wanted. Eg, in Wagner's Siegried low tuba sounds are used to represent the dragon. So that loud, low, insistent bassline towards the end of TB seems to say "there's something big and insistent in the background - watch out!".

Well, I respect that that may be the established doctrine and that you may personally agree with it, but me... I just can't see it myself. There's more animosity in Ommadawn by far than in TB from me. I personally can't see it. I hope you can recognise that we are all capable of our own interpretations.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 04 2008, 08:52

Quote (arron11196 @ July 04 2008, 04:05)
Well, I respect that that may be the established doctrine and that you may personally agree with it, but me... I just can't see it myself. There's more animosity in Ommadawn by far than in TB from me. I personally can't see it. I hope you can recognise that we are all capable of our own interpretations.

It's probably wired into us for our own protection, rather than something that's just doctrine. In primeval times those who weren't on the alert for the Big and Large (and the Low and Large noises that accompanied them) didn't survive long enough to propagate! Beyond that: maybe have a look at The Exorcist and see whether you think the music fits in with the film. If it does, the conclusion may be that you've come to love TB, as we all do, so much that the thought of anything sinister being associated with it sounds incomprehensible!
Profile PM 
Dinsdale Offline

Posted: July 23 2008, 23:03

I don't agree! IMHO Mike lost his way after Ommadawn. He has not produced anything of any great note since then! :/
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 24 2008, 00:24

Gosh, gee. MO sure provided me with some post-Ommadawn fun.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 24 2008, 02:16

Quote (Dinsdale @ July 23 2008, 23:03)
I don't agree! IMHO Mike lost his way after Ommadawn. He has not produced anything of any great note since then! :/

Hello, Dinsdale, and welcome to the board. Ommadawn is certainly remarkable, isn't it? Things did change afterwards, though, and continued to do so through the years. Did you enjoy any of the later works, even if they aren't necessarily your favorites? I think there are great post-Ommadawn albums - Amarok, TBII, and TSODE are the ones on the top of my list, and I also think much of Incantations is brilliant. But, generally speaking, the MO stuff I don't care much for is some of the mid to late 80s work.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
24 replies since June 13 2003, 23:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net