Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular World< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 07 2006, 02:04

Ironic but for me, the best track on the album. Just edges ahead of Ascension. I love the hypnotic way in which the track builds - the vocal layers and loops are incredibly effective. Can't stop playing this piece at the moment.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: May 07 2006, 12:57

I agree that it's a great track, 'The shining ones' is another gem on this album, a good track to introduce people with more mainstream tastes to Mike also :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 07 2006, 14:19

i'm really into Tubular World these days  ;)
Im learning to play it on my orgel and it sounds very good. The song is very wonderful and the title too. A great positiv song that light up your heart really..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
amazarak Offline

Posted: May 07 2006, 14:57

IMHO Tubular World would be very nice if it wasn't for the vocals. They sound so cheap...

My favourite tracks from TSODE are Crystal clear, In the beginning and Ascention  :p

cheerz
amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: May 07 2006, 15:51

Quote (amazarak @ May 07 2006, 14:57)
IMHO Tubular World would be very nice if it wasn't for the vocals. They sound so cheap...

Cheap? In what way? I can't hear anything cheap about them at all. IMHO they sound as good as anything produced by Moby on his classic albums 'Play' and '18'.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 07 2006, 16:01

Quote (amazarak @ May 07 2006, 20:57)
My favourite tracks from TSODE are Crystal clear

INDEED!!
The most powerful song from tsode! Its perfect live and the studio version is also perfect.

let go

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 07 2006, 21:36

I like "The Shining Ones". In fact, it's my favourite track of the album.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: May 08 2006, 01:38

I've said it countless times before but it's worth saying again, this is the greatest album I have ever heard, and in my opinion, greatest musical piece ever conceived. Every time I listen to it it's just as fresh and new as the first time and I'm always finding new experiences in it, unlike other albums whose experience dies out after a while of listening. The atmosphere is unmatchable, the mix is perfect, and the guitar playing, while more ambient than other Oldfield albums, is absolutely perfect. Only Time Will Tell is the most beautiful thing my ears have ever heard (other than my fiancee's voice, of course). Those sad harmonizing guitars have such an effect on the listener. Even if some sounds are from a library Mike uses them so uniquely with his own style and feel which is still not carbon-copying like most other electronic artists do. This is my most favourite album ever. This is the kind of atmosphere I love. I have yet to hear anything that comes close to creating the world in my mind like this album does. I'd love to hear Mike do something like this again (no I don't count Tr3s Lunas or L&S as the same). Make no mistake, this is true musicianship at its finest.

And as for the vocals, I love the way Mike uses vocals on any album and this is no exception. He really has a good sense for how a vocal piece works in any song. TSODE is probably his best demonstration of this ability, IMHO of course.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 08 2006, 09:42

I don't know how well TSODE has aged for me these days. In some ways its one of Mike's most coherent sounding albums, certainly more coherent sounding than any album this side of Incantations, with the possible exception of Amarok. Amarok may be erratic but it still feels and sounds good as a whole piece of music. The same could be said of TSODE, its got a great over all vibe even in its weaker second half.

My only real gripe with TSODE is that it does sound like Enigma, whom I loath utterly. I mean its miles better than any Enigma album, though that wouldn't be difficult. I also always thought that it was strange in a way that it has quite strong religious or at least spiritual over tones yet anybody who has read the book or knows anything about Arthur C Clarke will know he was and is staunchly atheistical and utterly against any spiritual 'mumbo jumbo'. I always thought it was odd and not at all in keeping with the book that Mike should choose to thrust this angle into his tkae on it. Then again Mike and 'oddness' go hand in hand. Still I think he was missing the point slightly

However I do quite like Tube World, I don't agree that the voices sound cheap, pretty much all the vocal parts on the album are superbly beautiful without exception. To be honest I think the Tube World is a better reworking of the TB theme than Sentinel is on TB2.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 08 2006, 10:30

I do like Tubular World and every time I listen to it,I try to imagine what is like related to the TSODE story ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
amazarak Offline

Posted: May 11 2006, 13:37

Quote (Baggiesfaninessex @ May 07 2006, 21:51)
Cheap? In what way? I can't hear anything cheap about them at all.

Hmmm... Maybe I didn't use the proper word. For me, all those "uuuuuuuu"s and "yeyeyeeeeaaah"s sound sooo commercially, not originally, and they remind me some poor soundtracks of Disney's films like pocahontas :) There's an exact word to describe it in my own language ("kicz" :D ), but I can't find suitable english, even using a dictionary.
I think these vocals spoilt the whole piece, which would be very good without them, imho.

cheers
amazarak

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: May 11 2006, 16:48

Quote (amazarak @ May 11 2006, 13:37)
There's an exact word to describe it in my own language ("kicz" :D ), but I can't find suitable english, even using a dictionary.

Cheesy? Silly? Banal?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 11 2006, 17:05

Quote (TOBY @ May 08 2006, 14:42)
Still I think he was missing the point slightly

Here's a different take on it: it's a long time since I read the book, so my memory of it is very hazy - but towards the end of the book there is a description of a performance of a piece of music, specially written by a young (?) artist, to celebrate the history of the people. I remember at the time (I read the book after I heard the music) thinking immediately that basically Mike had attempted to write that piece of music. If I'm right, then Mike hadn't missed the point, but grasped it in quite an important and penetrating way.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: May 11 2006, 17:38

Yeah, it also says that in the CD booklet.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
amazarak Offline

Posted: May 12 2006, 12:25

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 11 2006, 22:48)
Cheesy? Silly? Banal?

No, not exactly. "Kicz" is a special word that means "banal art", not something banal in general... However, "banal" is more less ok :)

amazarak

--------------
Profile PM 
c_haese Offline

Posted: May 12 2006, 12:50

Quote (amazarak @ May 12 2006, 12:25)
Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 11 2006, 22:48)
Cheesy? Silly? Banal?

No, not exactly. "Kicz" is a special word that means "banal art", not something banal in general... However, "banal" is more less ok :)

amazarak

"Kicz" is a Polish transliteration of the German word "Kitsch," which has been taken unchanged into English.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsch

-Carsten
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: May 12 2006, 16:32

Thanks, Carsten

Kitsch is a German term roughly meaning "knock off" that has been used to categorize art that is considered an inferior copy of an existing style. The term is also used more loosely in referring to any art that is pretentious or in bad taste, and also commercially produced items that are considered trite or crass.

And that's exactly what I mean  ;)

amazarak

--------------
Profile PM 
DarkFeline Offline

Posted: May 14 2006, 01:57

Quote (TOBY @ May 08 2006, 09:42)
I don't know how well TSODE has aged for me these days. In some ways its one of Mike's most coherent sounding albums, certainly more coherent sounding than any album this side of Incantations, with the possible exception of Amarok. Amarok may be erratic but it still feels and sounds good as a whole piece of music. The same could be said of TSODE, its got a great over all vibe even in its weaker second half.

My only real gripe with TSODE is that it does sound like Enigma, whom I loath utterly. I mean its miles better than any Enigma album, though that wouldn't be difficult. I also always thought that it was strange in a way that it has quite strong religious or at least spiritual over tones yet anybody who has read the book or knows anything about Arthur C Clarke will know he was and is staunchly atheistical and utterly against any spiritual 'mumbo jumbo'. I always thought it was odd and not at all in keeping with the book that Mike should choose to thrust this angle into his tkae on it. Then again Mike and 'oddness' go hand in hand. Still I think he was missing the point slightly

However I do quite like Tube World, I don't agree that the voices sound cheap, pretty much all the vocal parts on the album are superbly beautiful without exception. To be honest I think the Tube World is a better reworking of the TB theme than Sentinel is on TB2.

Conflicting opinions here!  :laugh: One of the reasons I love TSODE so much is because of its similarities with Enigma but yet it doesn't sound as "jarring" as Deep Forest, especially in the song Only Time Will Tell. The tribal chants and Gregorian chant used in Hibernaculum were the main reasons they sound almost alike in style.

I say this from experience, but I pretty much think that Mike has pulled in quite a lot of fans from Enigma through this album alone, me included. :)

Just wondering, what's the reason for the loathing Enigma anyways?  :p

--------------
Who's your mummy, where she go?
Profile PM WEB 
Hoot Offline

Posted: May 27 2006, 11:47

Tubular World is good.....IMHO though Ascension is far better and Its my favorite track ever, The album I think is his best ever and thats saying alot!

--------------
"And God said: Let There Be Light"
-Genisis,The Bible
(alternatively-The Songs Of Distant Earth,In The Begining)
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2007, 04:04

To me, "Tubular World" is creme brulee - not too soft or too firm, not too sweet nor too bland. Simply a perfect balance of smooth deliciousness (the custard) covered with an addictive pulsating groove (the cracked topping). If I could, I'd eat creme brulee every single day - I love it that much.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
20 replies since May 07 2006, 02:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net