Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular le second du nom, a strange clone< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sonilink Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 04 2005, 11:04

TBII is of cours one of mike's best album but I don't know it is very similar and still so diferant from TBI.
I think that this album is more a sequel than an update...
what da'ya think about it? :)

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: May 04 2005, 11:30

I've personally always thought that the idea behind Tubular Bells II was to try and convey the same feeling and emotion as the first, even to some extent the same structure, but using different music.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 04 2005, 12:22

Same structure, definitely. But same emotion? Hmm... I'm not quite sure about that. TBII is happy, sweety and sugary all the way through, and every single note drips with syrup. TB is some of the most haunting, mesmerising, emotionally complex albums I've ever seen. Everything is there: fear, anger, psychosis, childishness, sadness, paranoia, insecurity, culminating with retarded joy. Just my thoughts.

I wouldn't say it's a "sequel", though. It's a rewrite.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: May 04 2005, 13:48

... a rewrite that still retains the one small quotation from "Joshua Fit the Battle of Jericho" :)

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: May 04 2005, 14:33

60 minute make-over.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: May 04 2005, 19:10

With Trevor Horn added "sparkle"... It's TB Jim, but not as we know it.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 04 2005, 20:13

Quote (arron11196 @ May 05 2005, 00:30)
I've personally always thought that the idea behind Tubular Bells II was to try and convey the same feeling and emotion as the first, even to some extent the same structure, but using different music.

I would say that Tubular Bells II conveys the opposite emotions as the original, just as Sir M said. ( I don't share Sir M's deep and complete hatred for this album though.   :) )
I think it's an interesting thing to do, getting an album with the same structure to say completely different things.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: May 05 2005, 02:30

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 04 2005, 12:22)
TB is some of the most haunting, mesmerising, emotionally complex albums I've ever seen. Everything is there: fear, anger, psychosis, childishness, sadness, paranoia, insecurity, culminating with retarded joy.

Hmm, I've never been able to see how the first TB is dark and moody personally. Perhaps I'm just incredibly optimisitic... ;)

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 05 2005, 08:56

OFF TOPIC!!

Quote (olracUK @ May 05 2005, 01:10)
... It's TB Jim, but not as we know it.

Oh, please, Andy... do NOT mention that song again if you don't want me to go completely bonkers... :D I already am, but anyway... :D :D :D :laugh:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: May 06 2005, 09:41

Tubular Bells II is definitely a sequel!  If i could compare it to any Film, i would compare it to Terminator 2: Judgment Day.  Terminator 2 is more technologically advanced than T1, it is more sentimental than T1, T1 was Raw and almost like a horror film, however it has the same structure to it with similar scenes, ie the tanker chase near the end of T2 is very similar to the Tunnel chase near end of T1.  In my opinion the best way to make a sequel is to replicate yet add new dimensions.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: May 06 2005, 12:10

I dunno. I remember Mike saying that he applied the idea of movie sequels to TB, by "putting the same characters in a different story". I think he did the complete opposite: he used the same story with completely different characters. To me, that's a rewrite of sorts. It's like someone made a "sequel" of The Exorcist, but instead of having Regan possessed by a demon, we'd have a girl "possessed" by an angel of love and friendship and everyone would love each other and live happily ever after.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: May 07 2005, 10:20

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 06 2005, 12:10)
I dunno. I remember Mike saying that he applied the idea of movie sequels to TB, by "putting the same characters in a different story". I think he did the complete opposite: he used the same story with completely different characters. To me, that's a rewrite of sorts. It's like someone made a "sequel" of The Exorcist, but instead of having Regan possessed by a demon, we'd have a girl "possessed" by an angel of love and friendship and everyone would love each other and live happily ever after.

... and TBIII would be a instrumantalist "possessed" by an ibizan DJ :laugh:

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: May 07 2005, 13:34

That makes a lot of sense, actually! :D

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
12 replies since May 04 2005, 11:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net