[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (21) < ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells Ultimate Edition problems< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
tubular_trekkie Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 18 2009, 07:46

Latest update re: the damaged vinyls -
Bandstores want the worst example of my two scratched copies returned so that Mercury can take a look at what's going on.
More assurances have been given that an undamaged copy will be sent in due course, although when this is likely to be I now have no idea... Given that this sounds like a possible problem with Mercury's manufacturing processes I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to how long this will take to resolve or even how they are going to go about doing so. My annoyance and dissatisfaction with Bandstores has all but evaporated, but I'm very unhappy that Universal/Mercury records have not seen fit to contact me directly and at least try and fill me in on what they plan to do about the situation.  Letting the head honcho of Bandstores take the flak for THEIR PROBLEM doesn't seem all that professional to me  :(

Don't suppose any of you folks STILL WAITING for stuff have had any news? It's a vain hope at this point by the looks of it  :/

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: July 18 2009, 10:17

Had my replacement vinyl and THE SAME...big smudges and scratches ....it must be a manufacture fault...... NIghtmare....
ROB
Profile PM 
Willem Offline

Posted: July 18 2009, 10:37

As you can read in an earlier post, my replacements are terrible as well.

I send brandstores an email but I never got a reply.

I'll mail them again if nothing happens.
Profile PM WEB 
Reena Offline

Posted: July 18 2009, 13:21

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ July 18 2009, 07:46)
Don't suppose any of you folks STILL WAITING for stuff have had any news? It's a vain hope at this point by the looks of it  :/

No word from Loudclothing since the 10th of july.... And that wasn't much, because it was a simple email stating that they do not know when exactly the Boxes that still have to be delivered, are going to be shipped out... As far as I know Tati and me are still waiting for sure, but I've lost track of possible other people that are still waiting for their orders...  

Yesterday I sent an email to Bandstores once more in which I have asked for a guarantee that I will receive the items I ordered and an indication on when they think it will all be handled....  Otherwise I will be forced to take other actions.

No reply so far, but i don't know if they are working weekends....

The sequel to The Neverending Story it seems to become, as all people that are receiving replacements for their damaged vinyls are here to discover that the replacements are rubbish as well...
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: July 18 2009, 15:44

Two thoughts...

First, if I was one of the people caught up in this vinyl debacle I'd be very interested in knowing exactly where the albums are being pressed, and where they are being packaged.  It would seem to be relevant.

Second, how is it known for sure that the scuffles on the vinyl affect the playback quality?  I don't recall anyone here describing how they played (but I could be wrong... I'm not going to re-read the whole thread).  As far as I know, there's no vinyl pressing plant in the world that is entirely automated.  Somewhere along the line the product comes into contact with human hands (albeit gloved, hopefully), and is then presumed to be manually inserted into the inner sleeve.  If the inner sleeves are paper, then I don't think even the lightest touch in the world will prevent trace amounts of paper debris from scraping the record's surface.  Even poly inner sleeves are not exempt from this misfortune.  It is possible (though unlikely) that the scuffle marks are unavoidable as a normal part of the packaging stage of the record's manufacture.  Which is why it's important to know where the packaging is taking place and how up-to-date their facility is.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: July 18 2009, 18:51

The TB 2009 vinyls are manufactured by GZ vinyl, as you can see their web in the disc. Both the Box and the Back to Black series vinyls are made by this company. And both editions share this "scratch and fingerprints" problems. Shame on them!!

If you go to www.gzvinyl.com you can see that they are a czech company. There is an interesting technical section at http://www.gzvinyl.cz/file....0EN.pdf

And if you are not tired of sendig emails to Mercury / Banstores, etc,... maybe we can send them our opinion of their quality work in TB 2009 edition in info@gzdm.cz

Edit: I made some google search, and it seems that gzvinyl is widely known for its cheap pressing cost!!  :O
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: July 18 2009, 19:07

Hmmm.  Interesting.  It makes me wonder if Mercury had the LP's pressed there because that's currently the best there is, or because it was simply convenient for Mercury to use them.  I also wonder if there are any pressing plants remaining in the world that would qualify as state-of-the-art, able to produce a product that the discriminating collector appreciates (and expects, for their money).

I guess the bigger issue, or reality, facing the vinyl TB buyers is the possibility that there is no better product to be had.  Maybe what they got is as good as can be currently made.  An ugly prospect if Mercury expects buyer-loyalty.  However, they seem to have their target market well and truly pegged in this circumstance.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 18 2009, 20:35

Quote (Nacho @ July 18 2009, 18:51)
The TB 2009 vinyls are manufactured by GZ vinyl, as you can see their web in the disc. Both the Box and the Back to Black series vinyls are made by this company. And both editions share this "scratch and fingerprints" problems. Shame on them!!

It may be the case that people are so used to the fact that compact disks can be handled safely in this way that it's not even realised that the surface of an LP should never be touched.
Profile PM 
Willem Offline

Posted: July 19 2009, 05:10

I also wonder if there are any pressing plants remaining in the world that would qualify as state-of-the-art, able to produce a product that the discriminating collector appreciates (and expects, for their money).

I guess the bigger issue, or reality, facing the vinyl TB buyers is the possibility that there is no better product to be had.  Maybe what they got is as good as can be currently made.

No Way!

You can buy the best vinyl ever made today! 3 personal recent examples:

1. Before I recieved the TB-box, I ordered Dream Theater's new album as a Ltd. special edition. Included, there are 2 vinyl disks. They came unblemished and are still today. Absolutely perfect. I think it was 80 EUR. It's very special indeed and the quality is stunning. A real piece of creatitivity te prevent people from downloading.

2. Last weekend, I was at the North Sea Jazz festival in Rotterdam for 3 days. I had the chance to meet Benjamin Herman, a very gifted Dutch sax player. I bought his new album on vinyl, only 500 were made. He signed the record. It was 14 EUR. It's probably the  best vinyl record I own today. Just perfect!

3. At the same festival, I bought a triple(!;) vinyl record from Ayreon (a great dutch metal composer). Perfect vinyl, very nice to own, sounds like ten million dollars. It cost 14 EUR.

So, where's my TB copy on today's perfect quality vinyl? :/
Profile PM WEB 
Bassman Offline

Posted: July 19 2009, 17:09

Willem, if I understand your point correctly, you seem to be saying that unblemished vinyl CAN still manufactured currently (if we understand that the records you mentioned are very recent releases).  I think we all accept that as a given, unless proven otherwise.  But you don't mention where those records were pressed and packaged, or how they played... which were the main points I was making.  You also seem to be making the price of those records significant, but as record prices are set primarily by the vendor I'm not sure why that's relevent here.

Nightspore, ha!-call me paranoid, but I STILL handle CD's only by the edges!

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 20 2009, 03:48

Well, I'm speechless.

I am losing ability to verbally communicate - I feel like a pre-verbal 2 year old the longer this goes on. My mouth is open but nothing comes out.   :O

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: July 20 2009, 04:10

Received answer from Antz...

The tee I ordered will be shipped out this week. They hope to get info on when the signed boxset will be delivered the next few days... Sadly it is all out of their hands, as they are completely dependant on Mercury for this, that have to deliver the outstanding boxsets...

That made ask Antz for his help to get Mercury to contact me and give me info on when they think this all will be solved...  

I'll keep you posted !

I also will see if I can discover where my Ommadawn-vinyl from about 2004 was manufactured, as that was superb quality...
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 20 2009, 06:12

Quote (Matt @ July 10 2009, 20:05)
If I calm down enough by tomorrow morning Ill take some pictures and E-mail them to bandstores.

I've been away on holiday the past week which was plenty time to calm down. I returned to an E-mail from bandstores asking me to ship them the damaged vinyl to a freepost address. I am going to ship them both copies to investigate. The nature of the  smudges and scratches don't look like sleeve/packaging problems to me. All very sad really  :/

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: July 20 2009, 06:52

And as the end of July approaches we're still apparently no nearer to getting this fiasco sorted out.
The single biggest problem I have now is WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG?  There's absolutely no sense of urgency is there?
Perhaps those of you still waiting for the sets will get them by August, and perhaps we'll get proper high-quality vinyls by then? Maybe it will be September? Hopefully it will be before the Hergest Ridge UE comes out, eh?  :/

What an absolute farce!!  :(

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: July 20 2009, 07:14

I just hope they don't try to make the Ultimate Hergest Ridge such a big (sizewise) production too. A nice multi-CD set with a DVD would be great, and not cost a fortune to ship...

Can't wait to see what they do with HR...
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 20 2009, 11:08

It's been a long time since we've had an reply about the boxes that they haven't sent to their owners(like Reena and myself,afaik),and there's no news on the subject...

We need a decent and fair solution to this case as soon as possible,since the consequences can be even worse with legal actions against Mercury/Universal in the future.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Reena Offline

Posted: July 20 2009, 12:54

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ July 20 2009, 11:08)
It's been a long time since we've had an reply about the boxes that they haven't sent to their owners(like Reena and myself,afaik),and there's no news on the subject...

We need a decent and fair solution to this case as soon as possible,since the consequences can be even worse with legal actions against Mercury/Universal in the future.

Well Tati, you are right, no news is actually precisely what the replies from Antz at CID/Bandstores/Loudclothing are telling...

This morning I got a reply that my t-shirt will be shipped out this week, and they hope to get more news regarding the signed boxsets in the next few days....

I have asked Antz to ask Mercury on my behalf to get get in touch with me. I didn't have a reply on that question yet, but I'll let you know if anything serious will come out of that.

I also sent a message about the situation to Mike himself via Myspace... I did not get an answer, but it was opened to be read. If he actually did read about this mess, I don't know....  
I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and hope that he has taken some actions towards Mercury.

Maybe it won't make a difference, but at least I have tried....

@ Korgscrew :
Have you had any updates or news lately ?
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: July 20 2009, 13:46

Quote (Reena @ July 20 2009, 17:54)
Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ July 20 2009, 11:08)

Well Tati, you are right, no news is actually precisely what the replies from Antz at CID/Bandstores/Loudclothing are telling...

This morning I got a reply that my t-shirt will be shipped out this week, and they hope to get more news regarding the signed boxsets in the next few days....

I have asked Antz to ask Mercury on my behalf to get get in touch with me. I didn't have a reply on that question yet, but I'll let you know if anything serious will come out of that.

I also sent a message about the situation to Mike himself via Myspace... I did not get an answer, but it was opened to be read. If he actually did read about this mess, I don't know....  
I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and hope that he has taken some actions towards Mercury.

Maybe it won't make a difference, but at least I have tried....

Good stuff and well done on the Myspace idea. Whether it'll succeed in getting Mike to stick his head above the parapet though is another matter!

I've sent the damaged replacement vinyl back to Bandstores today and have emailed Antz asking for an update on the situation from Mercury (again).  I've tried to be a bit more insistent this time that something needs to be done promptly as I'm very dissatisfied with Universal/Mercury regarding this debacle - but we'll see.  

If no further information of any substance is forthcoming from Bandstores in the next few days I have a carefully worded letter of complaint drafted and ready to send to Mercury Records in London.  (My beef not only concerns the damaged/poor quality vinyl but also my original complaint about the sets-sent-to-Amazon issue which apparently gave the lie to their initial advertising.)  At the very least I want to show Universal/Mercury that MO's loyal fanbase is not going to be taken for a ride...  :cool:

--------------

Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 20 2009, 14:11

Good Job Tubular Trekkie and Reena!

WARRIOR'S DANCE :cool: er version.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: July 22 2009, 04:34

Antz has replied to me that he asked Mercury once again for a definite answer !

Ofcourse that means that now we have to wait once more before we hear the answer from Mercury.
:zzz:
Profile PM 
405 replies since June 25 2009, 14:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (21) < ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net