Pages: (21) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells Ultimate Edition problems< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Hifiguru Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 13 2009, 11:03

Quote (Willem @ July 13 2009, 10:04)
Hi folks,

I received the replacement disk. And yet again: FULL OF SCRATCHES and fingerprints.

It came with a letter saying: We've taken extra care to make shure that these elements arrive in perfect condition and have manually checked each replacement to ensure there are no scratches or other damage.

Funny enough, in really believe this. When I pulled the record out of it's sleeve, I felt and heard this was going to be terrible.

Then I read this on the forum:
They're now going to investigate whether the paper sleeve is causing the scratches on the vinyl

I personally believe this is the case. I seems there are tiny pieces of paper remaining inside the sleeve as a result of manufacturing and cutting the paper sleeve.

I'll write them an email.

Willem

paperbag doesnt produce fingerprints though :P

im going to test that paperbag with other "unimportant" and mint vinyl if it does anything to surface

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
Willem Offline

Posted: July 13 2009, 11:09

paperbag doesnt produce fingerprints though :P

Check!  ;)

On the surface of the disk, I see numerous tiny pieces of paper and/or other small particles. It works like sand...

A better choice (or even the best choice) is to use glassine instead of a 'simple' piece of paper...
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 13 2009, 14:33

Quote (Korgscrew @ July 13 2009, 08:53)
No comment other than that they're very sorry this has happened.

Are they prepared to make some comment about what exactly happend to the missing signed editions, and how they hope to recompense those who are still waiting?

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 13 2009, 22:12

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ July 13 2009, 06:28)
Reena and Tati - has there been any further update? This time delay is becoming ridiculous! :(

I do check my emails even on my mobile...nothing new today :o(

We need 100% transparence on this whole case,as a sign of respect for us the fans,it's not fair at all!

The whole project seemed so great,but in the end it has become a huge problem,which is a pity really. Like I've said before,we need to unite our forces with our complaints about any sort of problems we have with our signed boxes and make a difference,"yes we can" !

I don't know how to say thank you to captainjjb and wiga for what you've written about me.It's a pleasure to help and share MO stuff on the web,even with a busy schedule!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: July 14 2009, 05:58

Received my replacement box yesterday (all the elements except for the signed certificate.) The UE box was placed in a sturdy new cardboard box and then bubblewrapped with about 4 layers, and then shipped in another sturdy cardboard box. Everything was as perfect as could be expected (I didn't check the vinyl as I don't have a turntable). Included was a personal note from Antz at Bandstores, asking if I'd send photos of my original damaged box, which I gladly did. He also stated there was no need to return the orginal box set!

I know there are still lots of issues with this entire production but I will at this point offer a big Kudos to Bandstores for trying to make things right! I also want to say a big Thanks to Korgscrew for all the time invested communicating with Bandstores, and for being the "voice of the fans" and making Bandstores take notice of the problems we've encountered.

I for one am most pleased at this point and have a renewed respect for Bandstores. I do hope that eventually, the rest of the fans here with issues will be able to say the same, though it will probably take some time...
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: July 14 2009, 09:38

Just received my replacement vinyl. It was very well packed in a large box with acres of bubble wrap around it, but sadly it's in just as poor condition as the first one. Several finger marks (which may or may not be bandstores fault) and the same sort of wipe/scratch marks that were present before. I'd say that these imperfections look like they are due to a problem in the manufacturing process and are probably nothing to do with bandstores or any subsequent handling.

I don't currently possess a digital camera, but I'm going to borrow one from a friend so I can send the photos to bandstores (and possibly Universal/Mercury) as evidence in the hope that something more substantial can be done to resolve the problem. I personally think that this is a more serious problem than just some damage caused by poor handling or inadequate packaging, but we'll see.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: July 14 2009, 12:03

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ July 14 2009, 15:38)
I personally think that this is a more serious problem than just some damage caused by poor handling or inadequate packaging, but we'll see.

I think the same....

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: July 14 2009, 15:52

Quote (Ugo @ July 12 2009, 11:12)
@ captainjjb: How can Mike possibly be 'up the road' from Tati? As far as I know, Mike's in the Bahamas, Tati is Brazilian! :D

yeah I know, it's just up the road from Brazil... well, alot closer than Spain or the UK anyway.
Profile PM 

Posted: July 14 2009, 21:28

Quote (Korgscrew @ July 13 2009, 09:53)
They're now going to investigate whether the paper sleeve is causing the scratches on the vinyl, as they were apparently in perfect condition when they were sent.

I thought that the LP came on a papercard like the vinyl re-release of the album...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
dazzler Offline

Posted: July 15 2009, 05:33

I just can't believe reading all this.

We're talking about rerelease number (I stopped counting) of Tubular Bells.
Fans paying a lot of money to obtain their zillionst version of that record,
and then you get a damaged copy in your mail ... twice ...

How big a fan can you be to accept being ripped off
again and again and again by an artist rereleasing his Tubular record
over and over again and again, remixing, re-editing, re-packaging ...

:O  :O  :O  :O  :O

Now I remember again why I lost interest
in Mikes music after The Songs of Distant Earth.
He keeps on recylcing himself, even in betraying his own fans.

Ofcourse I know it's not his personal mistake, but still ...
How proud can an artist be after all these Tubular Bells versions?

But maybe that's the whole point here:
the scratched and fingerprinted rerelease of TB.
That's a rerelease we didn't own so far, did we ...

Troubler Bells ... if you ask me.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: July 15 2009, 14:34

Sent the pics to bandstores - we'll see what happens next.

I can't help but wonder whether Universal/Mercury just didn't bother to produce the vinyl to the highest possible standard as they thought it was just going to be a 'novelty' item within the boxset.  Is that going to be the likely explanation, do you think?

Some pics of my 'replacement' vinyl:

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: July 15 2009, 15:53

Well, when I see all of your complaints, and the numerous pictures, I'm getting curious what my vinyl in my box will look like. My fears are growing...

But hey, wait a minute, who am I kidding here... I first have to wait and see if I even will get that box, isn't that right ?

As you will understand from the above : still no sign of the Signed Edition, let alone the tee that they said to dispatch separate from the box, not even an email stating that they have dispatched it anyway...  

Tati, let me guess, you haven't heard anything yet either, have you ?  

My faith in Bandstores and Mercury has come to an alltime low here.... Latest official update from Korgscrew on the 6th of july.... 9 days ago...

Latest message from Bandstores on the 10th of july, stating that they will dispatch the tee separately because they are unaware of the moment that they will receive the Signed Boxes from Mercury... What on earth are those people doing overthere ???  How long does it take to wrap up a t-shirt and send it to the customer I wonder....  :/
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: July 15 2009, 16:07

I think it might be time to start writing letters of complaint directly to Universal/Mercury records.  A higher level of the management of this release needs to be made aware of these very serious problems that are still on-going, IMO.

I don't think at this stage CID are entirely accountable for some of these issues: they seem to be just running around trying to fix the 'bad hand' that they've already been dealt by the record company (or the mysterious 'Merch Team for Mike Oldfield', perhaps).

--------------

Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 15 2009, 16:14

Quote (Reena @ July 15 2009, 15:53)
But hey, wait a minute, who am I kidding here... I first have to wait and see if I even will get that box, isn't that right ?

As you will understand from the above : still no sign of the Signed Edition, let alone the tee that they said to dispatch separate from the box, not even an email stating that they have dispatched it anyway...  

Yeah - you guys with scratched and finger printed records should be grateful, what you complaining about - you got something at least !!

Reena's got sod all.

;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 15 2009, 17:13

Latest official update from Korgscrew on the 6th of july.... 9 days ago...

My hunch is that the kidnappers messed up and got Korgscrew by mistake. Easy mistake to make - he's a dead ringer for a young Mike Oldfield, particularly when he's holding his Gibson.

--------------
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: July 15 2009, 17:20

Quote (wiga @ July 15 2009, 22:13)
Latest official update from Korgscrew on the 6th of july.... 9 days ago...

My hunch is that the kidnappers messed up and got Korgscrew by mistake. Easy mistake to make - he's a dead ringer for a young Mike Oldfield, particularly when he's holding his Gibson.

:laugh:  :laugh: :p  :cool:

You win the internet (or something)!!   ;)

--------------

Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: July 16 2009, 01:52

Well, anyway you people succeed in making me smile, and that's worth a lot as well !  :D
Profile PM 

Posted: July 16 2009, 13:19

Quote (Reena @ July 15 2009, 16:53)
Well, when I see all of your complaints, and the numerous pictures, I'm getting curious what my vinyl in my box will look like. My fears are growing...

Tati, let me guess, you haven't heard anything yet either, have you ?  

Nothing new here too...

No sign at all of...

...my signed UE box...
...my black tubular tee I've ordered together with my signed box...
...the tee they're going to send me as a compesation...

Sounds cool,isn't it?  :(

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
leesonar Offline

Posted: July 16 2009, 14:10

Last time I checked the site they only had small and medium T shirts left.
Profile PM 

Posted: July 16 2009, 14:17

Quote (leesonar @ July 16 2009, 15:10)
Last time I checked the site they only had small and medium T shirts left.

In Spain you can buy the official tubular tees in places like FNAC,but not on the official website,what a shame!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
405 replies since June 25 2009, 14:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (21) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net