Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells: The Trilogy< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bennyboy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 03 2000, 06:20

Watching "Scream 3" has left me think about movie trilogies (about the only thing i took away from that godawful movie), and in some ways I think Mike's Tubular Bells albums remind me of certain movie trilogies in some ways.

The Tubular Bells trilogy especially reminds me of the "Godfather" trilogy in terms of quality and progression.

The first one sets the scene, and totally blows you away. There has never been anything quite like it before, and no matter how good the other ones are, nothing can rival this which is a groundbreaking and innovative work of art all on it's own...

...but, then comes the second one. It isn't so much a sequel as a logical extension of the first part. It builds upon the themes of the first piece and smooths off the rough edges in that one. There is much debate among fans of the series as to whether this "smoothing" makes it superior to the original or not, but no true fans argue that it is a worthy successor...

...then comes number three. Number three arguably did not need to be made at all, and fans of the series are divided over it's "worthiness". Number Three explores new thematic territory, and when it does explore old themes it does so from a slightly different angle. This makes it more accessible for the casual viewer/listener but has the effect of alienating some fans. Also both feature a rather silly wannabe-profound ending (Al Pacino keeling over on a park bench at the end of "Godfather III" and those chirping birds at the end of "Tubular Bells III"). In my opinion though, the real reason both "Godfather III" and "Tubular Bells III" failed to live up to fans's expectations was that these expectations were too high. If fans had not gone in expecting a masterpiece then maybe they wouldn't have been so disappointed when instead they got an inventive, well crafted, if not totally perfect piece of entertainment. In both cases the third attempted something different, and IMHO brought the trilogy to a worthy closure.

Any comments?
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2000, 16:25

I actually liked Tubular Bells III the best out of all of them. Mainly because it's more "up-to-date" (if that's the right phrase). I already like dance/house music (and prefer it over most other types of music).

Tubular Bells I (as you had put it) was something new and literally blew everyone away, which is true. It's an awesome piece of music, and is something worth listening too.

Tubular Bells II was (In my opinion), just as good, only more modern (although Altered State was just a little too altered for me). But even though it was "modernized" it was still excellent, and worth listening too.

However, Tubular Bells III (i think) is better than the previous ones. I like the style better. I think Outcast is probably the best quitar piece i've ever heard. The piano in Top of the Morning is excellent. And of course, Far Above the Clouds is just plain awesome.

So, personally, i think TB3 is the better of the 3 bells (Regardless if it "needed to be made" or not). They're all awesome, and they're all different enough so it doesn't sound like the same thing over and over and over. I also personally like the 3 bells over all his other music (except TSODE).

As to comparing them to other movies, the only triology i think that makes a good comparison is the Star Wars Trilogy, mainly because all 3 movies were excellent (although the 2nd & 3rd were better than the 1st).

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2000, 21:26

I don't understand the stink over TB3, people deriding it. If you look at it as a definitely logical progression the way TB2 was out of the original, it might fall. But TB3 doesn't try to be TB1; it has its own soul and its own sound. Personally, I can't stop listening to it. The dance rhythms are hypnotic, the flow of the pieces, particularly Outcast==>Serpent Dream==>Inner Child is flawless, and, as someone else said, Far Above the Clouds is a frigging masterpiece. The only error of judgement on this album is putting the top song smack in the middle. It breaks the album's flow. Program your CD player to skip it and listen again. Astounding.

People who want everything Mike does to be like TB1, particularly those pieces he elects to put the TB tag on, are asking for stultified, unimaginative music. Mike's got range, fans...let him explore it.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 06 2000, 20:53

What I like about TB3 is the way that Mike has deconstructed Tubular Bells (and some other parts of all his works) and re-assembled the essential parts into that album. Rather than following closely to the structure of the original, like TB2, it just contains what Mike (at least possibly) feels is necessary for an album to be a tubular bells album and then inserts new elements around thse parts. I'm not sure that it would be able to stand up (in my mind at least) without the other two tubular bells albums, but with them there, it makes an interesting sequel...
TB1 has a lot of character, in my opinion...those 'rough edges' are partly what make it what it is...a fascinating album, lots to discover in there.
TB2...very calculated in places...but that's perhaps the point. What we have are 3 TB albums, all showing Mike at various different stages, in different states. Each has it's own feel and, listening to one, you have the others as a reference point, to show you how Mike's ideas and techniques have developed (or degraded, if you think like that).
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2002, 05:10

They are all really good albums, in my opinion. The first one seems sort of wierd to me, in a way that I can't quite put my finger on. It certainly is different to anything that has come before, and, in its own way, different to anything Mike has doen afterward. To me is has a strange sort of impersonal quality, if that makes any sence, which I suppose comes from never having seen it live. It's a strange feeling of never having that familiar feel about the album, even though I have heared it countless times. It really is a pity that this one album, and a few after it, were so successful and then everyone forgot about him.

Tubular Bells II is a very worthy sequal. It seems much more warm, familiar and fun than the original. In particular, Clear Light has to be one of the most emotional pieces of all. The album is certainly better produced than the original. The Edingburugh Castle (if that's how you spell it) live version has to be my most watched DVD, prehaps second to The Matrix or any of the Blackadder series smile. I'm glad the album got to number one. That was nice.

Tubular Bells III is a big difference. To me it isn't a linked instrumental piece with a theme, but an experimentation style album with lots of different styles. I is very good, being my favourite album of his, with Tubular Bells II a phenomonaly close second. The techno-ey bits are a bit of a new thing for Mike, but work very well, and combine seamlessly with the Tubular Bells theme. Far Above the Clouds is, of course, excellent.

These three albums are all very good and different in there own way, while still being Mike. THey rule

cool

Visit www.global.net.au/~holmangp

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
4 replies since Oct. 03 2000, 06:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net