Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells sheet music?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Brd Man Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 03 2000, 03:32

Is there a book that has the entire score to Tubular Bells? I've seen the first few minutes (4 pages worth) in a couple of music books, but I'm looking for the entire work. <I'm learning to play the Hammered Dulcimer and TB sounds so cool on it!>
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: June 04 2000, 10:32

I once borrowed a piano arrangement of Tubular Bells from the Alexander Library in Perth, Western Australia. Here's the info on that book from their website:

Title Tubular bells [music] : [arranged for piano].
Published London : Wise : Virgin Music, c1973.
LOCATION CALL NO STATUS
2nd Fl, Music Shelves QPK
Unif title Tubular bells; arr.
Descript'n text, 15 p. score, and text 38 p. : ports.
Note The text by Karl Dallas originally appeared in "Let it Rock" magazine, December 1974.

It was a pretty good arrangement, but like you I would love to have the complete score for all the parts. I don't think one exists though. I know that a Tubular Bells II score exists however:

Complete Tubular Bells II Score £19.95

You can get it from Dark Star
"http://www.mikeoldfield.org/mrchndse.htm"
Pretty expensive though.
Profile PM 
Brd Man Offline

Posted: June 04 2000, 17:14

Thanks rosco.
Now all I have to do is find the book here in the States.
(-:
cheers, Mike
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 05 2000, 14:22

Again, I recommend using MIDI-files. (see "Keyboard notes" in this forum.) Of course, they are not official, but (I think) much closer to the original than a printed piano excerpt. (I have the Virgin 1973 edition, too.)

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Brd Man Offline

Posted: June 06 2000, 00:27

Thanks Carsten.
(-:
Profile PM 
Grand Piano Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2000, 11:25

A rather late addition to this thread, for which I apologise, but the info may be of use to others asking the same question.

I also have the book that has the complete score to Tubular Bells, published by Wise Publications and the ISBN is 0 86001 249 2.

There is also an interesting analysis of the structure of TB by David Bedford.

[This message has been edited by Grand Piano (edited 10-22-2000).]
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 22 2000, 16:06

Hi Grand Piano, that's the same book rosko & me were talking about. -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Grand Piano Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2000, 16:19

Yes, I realised that but what had NOT been mentioned in your posts was the ISBN number. Apart from a title or author, this is an extremely important bit of info that will allow a trace of the EXACT book to be carried out.
Profile PM 
Brd Man Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2000, 17:08

Thanks. (-:
I'm on my way to finding it.
Cheers, Mike
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2000, 18:53

What does the hammered dulcimer sound like? A harpsicord or a spinet? I know that it's a percussion instrument rather than a keyboard instrument
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2000, 19:38

No, it does not sound like that, 2dg. I heard it once on TV, on a program about ethnic music (from Africa??? I don't remember...)
Anyway, the sound is something like this: try to imagine playing a sitar, but not plucking its strings, but beating on 'em with your thumb like when you play slapped bass. Am I right, Brd Man?

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Brd Man Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2000, 19:48

The Hammered Dulcimer is in the Zither family. It sounds kind of like a harp, but the strings are struck with a small wooden "hammer" in stead of plucked as the harp is. Each note is 2 or 4 strings called a cord, which are strung close together and hit simultaneously. The HD is (almost) chromatic. It doesn't have strings set to every note in a given octave, but each octave is almost complete. Mine covers 3 octaves. It's a 15/14 HD. There are web sites around that sell HD, and thus have pictures of what they look like. Sorry... I don't know of a web site that has a .wav file of a HD. (Maybe I'll pound mine and upload it to my site. hmmmmm)
I hope this answers your question to some extent, anyway. It is a beautiful instrument.
Mike
Profile PM 
11 replies since June 03 2000, 03:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net