Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells performed by 'Chrome'< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
a_r_schulz Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 21 2003, 06:40

Now that I finally made up my mind to buy the remastered 25th anniversary version (*) - just in time for the next anniversary ;) - right next to it I found this other CD 'chrome perform Tubular Bells - A Tribute to Mike Oldfield'. Well, it was cheap (4.49EUR), so I couldn't help buying it...
It includes (of course) Parts 1 (26:31) and 2 (23:37). There's hardly any other information provided, not even a release year, except a note on the back saying:
'Chrome is a collective of highly talented and often famous session players and singers. It is not unusual for performers recorded on these albums to appear on major hits as backing musicians, singers or producers. To bring you these high quality, low price tribute albums, the names of the famous and infamous are withheld'
So, what's it worth? Harldy even the little money I paid for it, I'd say. (OK, listening to it just after the remastered original is a little unfair..). Sounds like this 'collective of highly talented' has gone for holidays, except for one of them who hacked the score of the Orchestral Tubular Bells into Cubasis and let it run some orchestral samples. 100% synthetic (well 99% if you don't ignore the MC), aseptic, wash and wear -  Tubular Bells for the supermarket...

(*) BTW.: the shop had still 2 copies of the remastered edition - doesn't seem to be very 'Limited'...
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 21 2003, 10:44

Mmmmm, never heard of it.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 21 2003, 11:11

The description of Chrome sounds exactly the same as that of Studio 99...
I'm fairly sure people have found it being sold under other names as well - it's been discussed here in the past, I think. It's just one of the numerous re-recordings of old hits that get sold ultra cheap but probably make the producers a fair amount of money...
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: May 22 2003, 09:34

Quote (a_r_schulz @ May 21 2003, 12:40)
Tubular Bells for the supermarket...

I love that idea ! A fantastic way to make TB theme familiar to just EVERYBODY on the planet ! Then it would be very easy to switch to the REAL THING smoothly and painlessly :cool:

TB for the masses ! Worldwide TB public recognition ! New TB rap reprise by Eminem ! Listen to our TB salsa ! And then taste our TB salsa ! Buy our TB yoghurt !

Fantasy... ;)

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 22 2003, 09:38

Oh no, please....

;)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: May 22 2003, 09:39

Quote (me @ now)
A fantastic way to make TB theme familiar to just EVERYBODY on the planet !

Erm, I'm maybe getting overenthusiastic here, not everybody on earth as actually access to supermarkets... we have to find some other simpler ways.

TB automatically played out off rice grain ? TB from the plants ?

:xmas:

--------------
Jerome C
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: May 22 2003, 16:25

Easy, just have to find out how that PA system of the Vogon hyperspace bypass route construction fleet willa haved bean working... :laugh:
Profile PM WEB 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: May 23 2003, 05:13

Quote (Jerome C @ May 22 2003, 16:39)
Erm, I'm maybe getting overenthusiastic here, not everybody on earth as actually access to supermarkets... we have to find some other simpler ways.

And some people (like myself) refuse to go to the supermarkets.
Profile PM WEB 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: May 23 2003, 11:14

Sure, but those people - like you - are most likely already MO fans... :D (being intelligent and sensitive persons)

Regarding the PA system, do you say we can adapt it to a nano rice grain ? There is however a risk of interception by the JMJ fan club demummyfication project, which could be disastrous... :O

--------------
Jerome C
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: May 23 2003, 13:35

Nope, the PA system of the Vogon Constructor fleet only works on normal loudspeakers, tin cans, dustbins, windows, cars, wine glasses and rusty sheets of metal (HHGTTG, chapter 3) - but in perfect quadrophonic sound.. :)
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 23 2003, 16:37

Rusty sheets of metal...would that include old tin boxes?
Profile PM 
10 replies since May 21 2003, 06:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net