Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells Part 1 (Preview), Take a look inside....< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 05 2003, 21:51

I've decided to do the entire Tubular Bells Part 1 piece. And maybe 2 if I feel like it. I'm still working on the Introduction but it shouldn't be too long. It will basically just be exactly the same as the original but done by me. Nothing fancy. Though maybe I'll adlib a bit here or there throughout it. Anyways, here's a 4 minute preview of the introduction. I may tweak it a bit before the final version.

This is really another test but it's aiming to be better than the other short preview I made. I'm fooling around with this program more so I can get used to it and do my own versions of MO songs and eventually my own music.

OGG- http://smc.sq7.org/brandon/tblong_1.ogg
MP3- http://smc.sq7.org/brandon/tblong_1.mp3

Expect more later on. Enjoy.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: May 06 2003, 07:23

Sound quality contest round three  :D

Besides the terrible composition,  ;)  there's nothing much to comment for a Fruitylooper. But I'll try anyway.

The reverb you put on the main theme is a nice idea. I first thought it was an 'pedal note' (gosh, I don't know much of English music terms), like sound on the background that is always present but isn't noticed and remains the same over time. Anyway, nice effect. The only problem with it - I think - is that the piano on 1:38 seems to have not enough reverb. It seems a bit 'dry'. The bass guitar is ok, though.
And maybe making the main theme a little less sharp, cutting it a little. It draws to much attention on the moments that it shouldn't.

That'll do... :)

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 06 2003, 09:30

Hello...
besides your high quality as always...
I think that many times like on 2:23 or so the bass is way too violent to all other instruments it "mutes" them ...that's the only bad

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 

Posted: May 06 2003, 21:18

Thank you both for the comments. I'll work on that bass there....I also think I'm gonna change the 'hits' sound a bit. Sounds a little too cheap to me :).

Sorry, Ancient, but there isn't much I can do about the 'bad repetative composition' :D. Also, about the reverb on the piano, everything recorded all has the same level of reverb except for the guitar (which reverb is done differently to). But thanks, I'll work on that as well. Thank you both again.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: May 07 2003, 22:31

I've pretty much completed(?) the Introduction part up to just before it goes into the happy/relief-like tune. Was a small hassle trying to figure out what the piano and bass was supposed to do at certain parts. Anyways, I uploaded the newer longer version. It's the same link as the other one so you can just re-download it. It's just got an extra minute's worth of music. But it's got those half-distorted harmonising guitars in there. And I like the sound of the clean and reverby guitar (although it might be a little too much but I was trying to imitate the reverby guitar on the original).

I won't be uploading anymore until I get it all done or half done or something. Hmm....nah I won't until it's all done. I just thought I'd upload this one because it's pretty much the completed Introduction now.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: May 08 2003, 07:20

If I'm not mistaken, you've fixed the sharpness of the main theme. I enjoyed listening it, which is nice of course.
The guitars you've add are also neat! You're doing fine if you ask me. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
alter Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 22 2003, 05:57

Fix the sharpness of the main theme, add some more reverb there, turn off here...and you will soon be listening to the original...or at least close to the original.

By way of compliments - in the category of copies, this is the most precise and sensitive one I have heard on this site.

Profile PM 

Posted: May 22 2003, 09:35

Someone doesn't like covers here!  :D

And btw, I don't think it was Brandon's intention to do something artistic-own-direction-no-copy stuff. He's just playing with his new toys and took Mike Oldfield for reference. And he did a good job doing it like this.

I suggest you don't comment all the cover tracks with the same comments. You should check out the other fan music sections then.

Just felt I had to respond on this.
Just like a felt the theme was to sharp.

hehe

--------------
Profile PM 
alter Offline

Posted: May 23 2003, 14:26

You misunderstood me, I congratulated for his track. In the category of copies he has done a very fine job. The track is so well-made that one tends to think why is he not spending his short time on exploring his own musical world. That is all.

Is this really out of the scope of an oldfield site?

We all love the music and the spiritual message of this multi-instrumentalist from Reading, but does this rule out our creativity?

Best wishes

Profile PM 

Posted: May 23 2003, 19:05

It's just that this was your third post which you adviced the musician to do his own compositions. I thought you were trying to convert all the cover musicians here!  :D

But if you're not going to, it's ok. Sorry I attacked you then. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: May 23 2003, 21:49

We all love the music and the spiritual message of this multi-instrumentalist from Reading, but does this rule out our creativity?

Actually, I think you're on to something. After so many times of trying to make up my own stuff, I end up just playing other people's stuff and playing guitar to Mike Oldfield or keep listening to my old songs or something.....I'm finding it really hard to make my own stuff lately. I may have to stop listening to Mike and other artists altogether if I want to get cracking at writing stuff more. Thanks for that, alter.

Though it DOES seem like you're on a quest to get people to stop doing Mike Oldfield covers ;). I still don't see anything wrong with making covers. It's fun. But I do think *I* myself do it a little too much....

in the category of copies, this is the most precise and sensitive one I have heard on this site.

Actually, I think Punkadiddle 2003 is the most precise on the site, myself :).

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Dave Parry Offline

Posted: May 24 2003, 08:22

Not bad, nice bells and reverb, lovely guitar solos.  Perhaps the organ stab would have been better than the bell strike.  Ok, I'm gonna join the bandwagon and show you my 1 minute intro of Tubular Bells http://module6.tripod.com/music.html  (scroll half way down)

--------------
Life is confusing
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: May 24 2003, 11:21

Yea, I also agree I don't like the bell strikes as much. But I was trying to go for a more bell-y like sound. But I didn't mean for it to be as much like a bell strike as it turned out. Sadly, I can only do so much with the equipment I have. Maybe I should have went for a more organ/bell hybred sound instead of going entirely like a bell. Oh well :).

As for your version. Pretty good. The lack of reverb on the bass took me off guard at first but it works. Interesting.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Dave Parry Offline

Posted: May 24 2003, 11:42

Thanks.  :cool:   It took alot of takes to play it all in without quantising anything, and the bass was even more of a challenge, playing that on the keyboard.  Mike said he played all the parts on TB73 in one take!!! :O

--------------
Life is confusing
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: May 24 2003, 13:42

Indeed, interesting too.
I like your piano. Putting that one in Brandon's track would be ideal.

--------------
Profile PM 
Dave Parry Offline

Posted: May 24 2003, 14:57

Thanks, Kristof

--------------
Life is confusing
Profile PM WEB 
Crises Offline

Posted: May 24 2003, 18:00

Very Nice! ...perhaps a little more work on the bass. (which has already been said)

Look foward to the full version.

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 24 2003, 18:50

Nice work from both Brandon and David!

Can I pass on a little tip? Try having the glockenspiel just play a constant A instead of the same as the piano - I believe it's the way it's done on the album. I've knocked together a quick example if you're interested in comparing (it's not there for anyone to judge the quality of...and sorry, couldn't resist the bass sound ;)).

Have fun with your recordings :)
Profile PM 
Dave Parry Offline

Posted: May 24 2003, 19:53

Thanks Korgscrew.  Your bell sounds are more realistic.  I was'nt sure how to do the bells, so I used a dulcimer and music box together, but it lacks that repetitive striking sound.  It's probably the 'A' note ringing out...  There seems to be something playing an octave higher, more clearly on TB2003.  Not sure of what instruments play what part...

--------------
Life is confusing
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 24 2003, 20:40

Yes, there are some really high pitched things going on in TB2003 at that point - I've not bothered to reproduce those.

That dulcimer and music box combination is nice!
Mike's secret weapon is the high pitched Farfisa organ which he has playing that part doubling the piano (whether you follow him depends on whether you want to produce an accurate copy or a new interpretation). I just put a drawbar organ sound in there, but it really calls for something a bit more breathy (along with less heavy handed piano playing - too much folk guitar picking has I think turned my right hand into a claw ;)). I still find the bass funny though  :D

On the subject of covers, I'm not really one for producting carbon copies, but I can see that the kind of thinking which goes into trying to reproduce someone else's work can prove helpful in all sorts of areas. Once you've found the secrets of a piece, you can begin to apply them elsewhere (and you'll already have had experience of applying them within the context of the cover)...
Profile PM 
24 replies since May 05 2003, 21:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net