Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells on itunes, What's this version?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
captainjjb Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 17 2006, 02:15

I noticed this version of Tubular Bells on itunes "released in 2006" although I know that can mean anything.  But which version is it?  It sounds like the original remixed to me, but I'm not sure.  Odd sleve picture though: http://www.godofguitar.com/tb.jpg
There are already enough version of TB to confuse the average punter on itunes without this!
Profile PM 
bonzo65 Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 07:01

have you heard it all? it's really odd. I can't work out whether it's an early demo (which would be ace) or just someone ripping him off!! (I'll be asking for my money back if it is...)

weird...
Profile PM 
bonzo65 Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 07:12

apologies if this has been discussed before but does anyone know where this new itunes version has appeared from? It's a really odd version of the original that sounds like a demo (but too polished - remastered maybe?). It's got far too many mistakes in to be recent recording by Mike so I can only think that someone else has recorded it?

I'm intrigued...
Profile PM 
bonzo65 Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 07:43

mmm...I think I've been conned...

the label on the CD is Crownstar Records (american) who it seems distribute lots of unheard of american pap (muzak, kids songs etc.). Even the master of ceremonies is american.

It stands a good chance that this is a poor imitation - wonder if Mr Oldfield knows fakes are being sold on itunes in his name?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 08:02

I have no idea, other than that I can confirm it's not by Mike (partly from what I can hear of the playing style, and partly because the music isn't 100% correct).

The pianos sound sampled to me, which would place it as being fairly recent (I did have another theory which centred around a strange cover version a friend played me from her music files collection which she swore she ripped from vinyl, but that's a story for another day, as I think the sampled pianos rather rule it out as being the same version as that one).

It seems like it's another of these cheap cover versions like the Studio 99 version. Crownstar Records has another album out called "70s Music, Lots of Soul" which has an excerpt of Tubular Bells credited to 'Studio Group', which sounds like it's the same version. It sounds strangely out of place next to the other recordings though - it sticks out as rather amateurish and new sounding in comparison to the others, which sound like old recordings (though going by the recordings of those songs I know, they're definitely covers). I suppose Tubular Bells was such a big undertaking, they just didn't take so much care with it. Who knows...a slight mystery still...
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 16:36

I only ever heard the actual 30 seconds that itunes lets you listen to. If any of you have bought it then you should  complain.  I've found the complaints procedure works pretty well on itunes personnaly.  
For example (staying in the Oldfield theme) I bought "Instructions for Angels" and complained that the download was flawed (particularly on the brilliant title track variation 6) and they gave me the money back (via free download credits)
Bearing in mind how computer savvy Mr Oldfield is he should be made aware of this and make his own complaint! :cool:
Profile PM 
bonzo65 Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2006, 09:46

I've notified itunes and am awaiting a reply - is there an actual complaints email address? (or phone no.?). I've filled in one of the contact forms on the bottom of the customer support pages as I couldn't find any other way of getting in touch. It really peeves me off when you don't have a phone number to have a rant at  :/
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2006, 17:01

I went to http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/musicstore/songs/#form
to register my complaint, although this was for a song that didn't sound right.  I notice that they give the following rather chilling advice elsewhere:
I bought the wrong version of a song.
Be sure to listen to the song preview before you buy a song. Double-click the song's title to listen to its free preview. Make sure your speakers or headphones are set to a comfortable level.
Profile PM 
bonzo65 Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2006, 04:37

cheers mate

I'll give it a go if I don't hear anything in the next 24hrs

I don't imagine they can argue with this one - the album is clearly presented as something it is not and it's impossible to tell from the preview. Surely there are trade description and copyright issues here...

thanks
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 24 2006, 08:47

Well...I think that could be argued...

It does have a different cover image, so it's not being presented as being the same as the Virgin Records release. It is Tubular Bells, and it was written by Mike Oldfield, so using the terms 'Tubular Bells' and 'Mike Oldfield' in selling it isn't completely wrong. What's misleading is that they neglect to say that it's not performed by him, but I would say it's made fairly obvious that it's a different edition.
I found it easy to tell from the previews that it wasn't the original version, just as it was clear from the previews of the other compilations that the songs on there were covers and not originals. Still, they could clearly do more to flag up that fact.

There should be no copyright issues. The copyright in the sound recording is rightly credited to Crownstar and I don't see any reason to doubt that they're paying license fees to Virgin for the right to use the music.

One thing that should certainly be addressed is the review which has appeared which says it's probably a demo version. It most certainly isn't. Someone with an iTunes account (I don't use the music store myself) can use the 'report a concern' link at the bottom of it.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2006, 10:17

I'll certainly try tonight, although I think you may have to buy it first to put a comment on, I'm not sure.  I'm certainly not doing that!  I wonder if Mike himself is aware of this version?
Profile PM 
bonzo65 Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2006, 11:28

I have posted a review on the UK site saying to steer clear of this awful copy. The review on the US site you mention is fully understandable given the lack of information. I thought it might be a demo myself as the preview is so different. That's the reason I bought it in the first place. When an album is placed on the artists page and clearly shows that it is Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield (or to be correct, Mike Oldfield by Mike Oldfield as it says on itunes) what else is a customer to think? It is probably a genuine mistake on their part although Crownstar do seem to supply a number of other albums to Apple (which I didn't realise until now). I think a number of people will be caught out if it is not removed or relabled soon.

I still haven't had a response from itunes...
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2006, 17:37

I can see Bonzo65's review on itunes, pretty clear to me.  I've added a review myself (it did let me even though I hadn't really heard it fully) with similar concerns..
Profile PM 
bonzo65 Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2006, 03:55

update...

itunes have been in touch and issued a refund - they will be looking at the matter in depth and say they will

"resolve the issue with the title or remove it if we need to"

jolly good...
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: April 04 2006, 16:31

It's still there, but with two dire warnings about it's content, so you'd have to be a bit of a clothead to buy it.

Mmm.... y'know I'm tempted!
Profile PM 
christ Offline

Posted: April 12 2006, 12:26

So I downloaded the album (yes, album) 'Mike Oldfield' from the iTunes music store. It's Tubular Bells, alright, but not the original version at all.

From Wikipedia:

2006 – Mike Oldfield This iTunes download seems to be confusing many fans. It is unlike any other version known and fans have guessed that it is either; a demo version, a studio session, a live version with audience 'noise' removed or not Mike Oldfield at all! For now it seems something of a mystery and there is no information given by iTunes other than a photo of a vinyl record with the following information.
Title: Mike Oldfield Label: Crown Records, Culver City, California Tracks: Track 1. Tubular Bells, Track 2. Sailors Horn Pipe
(Track lengths appear as 25.01 and 22.46 respectively)

Could some of you help me here? What the heck is this?
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: April 12 2006, 13:02

<Deleted - since the posts have been bumped!>

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
christ Offline

Posted: April 12 2006, 13:38

thanks.
but.
wtf is this?
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: April 12 2006, 13:40

How many times must be asked a question to get the "Frequently Asked Question" degree? ;)

Maybe it's time to update the Mike Oldfield FAQ... :p

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 12 2006, 15:00

Well, for now it has been merged into the earlier topic.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
25 replies since Mar. 17 2006, 02:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net