Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells IV, four slightly distorted generations...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bassman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 13 2009, 10:12

C'mon guys.  She was obviously referring to Gene Simmons.

Oops, wait.  Simmons never bothered to actually marry his "wife".

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 13 2009, 11:37

Quote (Ghostmojo @ April 13 2009, 06:22)
Wow.

I'm staggered by that.

Wow (again).

Let him without sin etc.

Ghostmojo - who needs a conscience with you around   :D

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 13 2009, 12:50

Quote (nightspore @ April 12 2009, 19:41)
That's silly - the last albums have all been radical departures from what he's done before. In fact, none of the albums is alike: Light and Shade is nothing like Voyager which is nothing like Earth Moving.

I'm not so sure. The electronic textures in Light + Shade were already explored on The Songs of Distant Earth; Voyager is just Ommadawn minus the intelligence; Guitars only has the occasional novelty factor. I think the last time he really tried something new and different, before Music of the Spheres, was on The Songs of Distant Earth. And like I said, the impact of Music of the Spheres is dampened right at the start; instead of getting the sheer shock of hearing a Mike Olfield piece not merely "arranged" but WRITTEN for orchestra, the feeling you get is "oh, look, it's Tubular Bells, now played on strings (didn't they do that before already?)". And, well, even after the album starts breaking into new and exciting territory, it goes back to Tubular Bells before the finale.

By "new and radical", I mean, really. Push the reset button. For good. Reinvention. Maybe he just doesn't wanna do that, and if that's the case, there's nothing wrong. It's his career, and it's he who must be happy with it, not me. I've got Stereolab. (*pops on headphones* *dum dum DA dum dum dum DA dum dum dum DA dum dum dum DA dum dum dum DA dum dum dum DA dum dum dum*)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: April 13 2009, 14:17

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 13 2009, 12:50)
Voyager[/i] is just Ommadawn minus the intelligence;

I really hope you said that as a mere throw away comment. I cannot see how Voyager could ever be compared to Ommadawn and most certainly not in the way you do. It is on a totally different level entirely, in my view.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: April 13 2009, 20:32

Quote (bee @ April 13 2009, 19:17)
Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 13 2009, 12:50)
Voyager[/i] is just Ommadawn minus the intelligence;

I really hope you said that as a mere throw away comment. I cannot see how Voyager could ever be compared to Ommadawn and most certainly not in the way you do. It is on a totally different level entirely, in my view.

:laugh: What? A slight Celtic influence, but what the3n?

It's not just minus the intelligence, it's minus the creativity, the soul, the PR photo's, the whole taking the piss scenario

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 06:52

It's funny the way these threads take on a life of their own :D and wander ...

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 11:05

I like it when threads fray. It's sometimes cute to watch the little bit of bickering that ensues, so I encourage it. Case in point: my carpet job failed to stop Eddy from fraying the carpet so I went to an office supply store and got one of those thick plastic "roll your chair" mats, about 5ft by 5ft. with those little sharp plastic cone shapes that grip the carpet on the underside. Since they caused my hands discomfort just carrying it, he will think twice before trying to get under it. The edge is fixed under molding nailed into a tack strip. Kewl huh? Tubular in fact, as I walked in this morning and no more damage.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: April 17 2009, 03:32

:p you could say eddy is a true blue tunneler, and earns the tag mascot tubularian, the dog has style! deb
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: June 05 2009, 13:27

Quote (nightspore @ April 12 2009, 19:41)
Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 12 2009, 10:21)
I think Mike would have greater chances to do something big again by doing something new and radical for his own standards. Music of the Spheres was a step on that direction, but spoiled by the bell presence --

That's silly - the last albums have all been radical departures from what he's done before. In fact, none of the albums is alike: Light and Shade is nothing like Voyager which is nothing like Earth Moving.  The little bell presence is a bit like a trademark, that's all. In my opinion, Music of the Spheres was spoilt not by the bell theme but by its sounding like pre-Exegesis MO.

Yeah we know now that you feel that pre-Exegesis Mo music leaves you untouched but to make it into a theory is pushing it a bit too far.

To say that music of the spheres is a cold, angst-filled and lonely album would be pretty far-stretching. Sure it is a bit dark, but all in all it is also pretty light and playfull at times.

The TB reference isn't doing any harm to the music of the record, as it is a very beautifull reference that makes sense. But Mustapha is right that it is harmfull for his career and his image.
Profile PM 
28 replies since April 09 2009, 17:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net