Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells is n° 1 again !, About iTunes NewAgeMusic charts .< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Philippe Tavares Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 14 2010, 06:14

;) Tubular Bells number one on iTunes NewAgeMusic charts .

Björn from NewAgeMusic.nu is a great fan of Mike !

http://www.newagemusic.nu/

http://www.newagemusic.nu/tubular-bells-no-1-on-uk-chart-again/
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2010, 06:33

Those bells are still ringing! Amazing how even now TB is as popular as it was in the 70s. Which proves that people find the music inspirational, emotional, sweet melodies, harmonies. Its so good to meditate to. Turn it on, say my mantra and Im on cloud nine, if only for a half hour. Mike is still amazed at its popularity, remains very matter of fact about it all! Give yourself a giant pat on the back Mike! Deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2010, 07:12

Music like TB is the modern equivelent of classical music.If,for example, JS Bach is still popular 259 1/2 years after he died then there's no reason that TB and thus Mike won't be.
 The difference between work like TB and other musicians of his type and say Slade or any of the other pop bands that were around then is that TB was built to last.It's not a throwaway slice of 3 minute pop.Not that there's neccesarily anything wrong with that as the pop market then, as now,is geared up for changing fads.
 I don't see all that much difference between TB,HR,Ommadwn and Incantations and any of the great composers works (obviously with some exceptions).The only big differences is the rock references and the instrumentation.You could make a fair bet that if the electric guitar had been around in the early 19th century Paganini would have played one.he already played guitar as well as the violin and was seen as the Hendrix of his day.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2010, 07:45

:) Well , i think it's also because of the global crise we are living now  and a lot of people ( and i'm one of them )are searching for a new way of life ! That's because " the Seventies " and more generally " Vintage culture " are in the mood of time again . ...just hope this mood will not be too short ! I've read few weeks ago in a French music magazine an article about people which regain some interest for Progressive music . So , just fine !!!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2010, 07:47

probably true as well.Hope so cos i'm in the process of putting together a 'progressive' band! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2010, 10:15

;) Good to know! Just hope you'll present some tracks soon ! ;)
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2010, 10:35

Good to hear. What really got the public interested in MO since 1973 is that his music was so dissimilar to anything out there. It was like a whole new genre of music had been invented. The 1st person I met who had a copy in '73 was a kid about my age(12) who lived next to me. He showed me his LP out in the yard. It was an extremely cool cover. He said, "It's just like that part you hear on the radio, but the whole album is real pretty". It wasn't easy to find as the news even mentioned the record company could not keep pressing them fast enough to keep up with demand. I was a happy camper when he let me play it. Then I found my own LP.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2010, 11:24

@Tubular Tos.Just trying to get the poeple together at the moment.Got a keyboard player and a percusionist but need a drummer and bassist.It'll more Gong style really but experimentation will be a big part of it. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2010, 11:49

Quote (The Caveman @ Jan. 14 2010, 17:24)
@Tubular Tos.Just trying to get the poeple together at the moment.Got a keyboard player and a percusionist but need a drummer and bassist.It'll more Gong style really but experimentation will be a big part of it. :D

:D Seems to be good !

..sorry i can't help you i'm not a real musician and Oxfordshire is too far from me .  :D

... ohh no ! Writing these words and taking an eye again to second link , i can see Mike has already lost 4 places .
Profile PM 
SunkenForest Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2010, 20:53

A good album is a good album.  New things come and go, but people will always be buying TB.  And people like us will buy it several times over, just to compare the quality on different formats.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2010, 16:41

:) Good to see Mike is really well placed again on charts in UK and Germany .
Profile PM 
10 replies since Jan. 14 2010, 06:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net