Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells Introduction on Keyboard, Korg Triton Extreme< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Burning Fish Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 16 2008, 13:39

This is my own composition of the Tubular Bells Introduction, created with the sequencer-mode on a
Korg Triton Extreme. In the video I play the piano,- bass,- harmonics,- and electric guitar-parts.

- The videoclip features some minor improvisations. The MP3 does not.
- The MP3 is encoded with a bitrate of 320kbps and has better soundquality than the downloadable videoclip
and much better than the YouTube version.

MP3 Download (in a ZIP file with ReadMe - 9 MB)
Video (HQ-WMV Download - 44 MB)
Video (YouTube)

Without the additional fine-tuning I spend three weeks creating this cover. I got hooked. I already knew how to play the main melody and the bass-part, so that was the easy part. I took some things from the original and the 2003-version that I liked and combined them. I have a Tubular Bells book with all the notes and compositions in it as a collector's item, but I can't read notes, so I did this entirely by ear and listening to different versions of Tubular Bells over and over. For example; the bass is much better to hear in the 2003-version than the original version. The background-piano is very clear on the Night of the Proms DVD. And so on.
The song has been finished since the beginning of february.

But I also wanted to create a videoclip and it took a while for me to figure out what I exactly wanted to do. I thought it would be nice to shoot some sunsets, make footage of fast moving traffic on the freeway, images of a crowded city by night and use some post processing effects in Adobe Premiere to give it a sort of dreamy, surrealistic feeling. I probably would have never found the time to do this and I couldn't really think of a theme all these images would have together. So I made a more personal video in one evening and one night of editing. I wanted this song and videoclip to be around on the internet before Music of the Spheres would be released and it seems like I'm just in time!

I'm quite happy with the result and I hope you will all like my version of the Tubular Bells Introduction and videoclip. I'm eagerly awaiting responses!

--------------
"Lemon curry?"
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2008, 14:21

Very Impressive.  You are so lucky to have such a fancy synth.  When i first tried to copy TBells i was 14 (it was 1977), I had an old two track tape recorded and I was able to get 4 tracks by modifying the tape heads.  I had a £60 SG copy, a tambour - that is like a tambourine without any jingles.  Some years later (three) I got a Teac 144, 4 track tape that you could bounce tracks on.  I also got a Roland SH09 as I couldn't afford a SH1000 or 2000 at the time.  Later I got a real Bodhran.

Even later I got an Atari Steinberg system in about 1989.

It is nice to see others out there who get hooked on doing this type of thing.

Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2008, 15:31

http://web.mac.com/rayprocter/Temp/Blank_files/Picture%201.png

a little one i made - bit rough but you should recognise it

Ray  :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2008, 15:35

ok that doesnt work , but I dont know how to fix it?

How do you post a link to an MP3???

Ray

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 04:28

Interesting! Clearly quite a labour of love too. I particularly like the sounds you've used which are more on the synthy side of things. That sound that you've used for the double speed guitar part has a nice ethereal quality to it, for example. I think it would be interesting to hear it go further in that direction, actually, I find that Korg's sample based synths are usually very nicely suited to those breathy and glassy kinds of sounds.

Ray - posting a link to an mp3 should, at it's simplest, just be a case of pasting in the link. You can of course use iB code (either manually or with the buttons at the top) to make fancy links that display as a word rather than the URL. How you managed to end up with that picture of Mike instead of your MP3, I really don't know!
Profile PM 
backwoodsman Offline

Posted: May 08 2008, 15:45

Very good! And the video was cool too.
Have you done any other pieces? Please, post some more if you have.
Profile PM 
wendybunny Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2010, 07:57

I've just listened to the video version and you did a really good job of it. I'm just listening to it for a second time.

I tried to download the mp3 though and it doesn't seem that the file's there anymore.  :/
Profile PM WEB 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2010, 06:12

Excellent....well done, a very enjoyable 5 minutes
Profile PM 
7 replies since Mar. 16 2008, 13:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net