Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells III:  imho one of the best!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
knife edge Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 16 2005, 03:45

I consider myself somehow an "integralist" fun of Mike, as I can't understand and appreciate his last "evolution" since The Milleniu Bell.
I also think that the first 4 album are his best (except Amarok and TBII), and, obviously, I appreciate the albums of the '80, like QE2, Crises, Five Miles Out.

But, surprisingly I consider Tubular Bells III WONDERFUL! I listened yesterday once more, than I watched the live DVD, and, although it has little in common with the previous TBs (maybe...), it contanins some of the best Mike's tunes.
"Serpent dream" is just beautiful, and so all the other tracks, it has something in common both with the original TB, Crises, Ommadawn, with an aggressive mood that blows me away.

But imho it has a thing in common with the first tubular bells: the crazyness and roughness.

So, one of the best Mike's album with the first four, Amarok and TBII, imho.

bye
Andrea
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 17:22

Totally agree with you. TB3 is my fav album of all time.

nothing beats the power and beauty that is heard in this album.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 19:17

That's right, I like the wide variety of styles, the texturized textures, and when Far Above the Clouds comes on I can hardly stand up because of the amound of power. It's like Moonwatch and Secrets set it up for the maximum effect. When Secrets comes on it's like I'm going up the hill on a rollercoaster. I can't understand the people who call this a mindless dance album since Jewel in the Crown is the only track I would consider dance music. The only album I like better is the original Tubular Bells.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2006, 06:26

Quote (knife edge @ Nov. 16 2005, 08:45)
...I also think that the first 4 album are his best (except Amarok and TBII)...

I love this album, its incredible, and i listen to it alot, but its no way as good as tbII!

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2006, 08:35

I think its better than TB2 for four reasons right now:

1) As much as I love "Weightless", I think its sequel "Top of the Morning" beats it.

2) As a climax to a long piece goes, "Far Above the Clouds" beats them all. Even Amarok, TB2, and Ommadawn.

3) If you match the vocal songs one-to-one, I think "Man in the Rain" really does beat "Altered State".

4) TB2 is too much of a close immitation of TB1: section by section, with the themes altered. TB3 strives to go beyond this, with more subtly abstracted sequels of older songs. Yes, it does have strong connection with the previous TB's for about half of the tracks.

However, I have listened to TB3 a lot lately, and have not listened to TB2 for a while. If I listen to TB2 more, I might change my mind.

On the down side, I think that 3 or 4 of the tracks on TB3 are mere filler... bridges between the really outstanding ones.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2006, 15:25

mmmm... IMHO i believe that TBii is musical perfection. for me, it doesnt feel like mike is trying to copy TBi in any way, in fact for me it feels more like mike is doing what he would have done had he got the equipment back in 70's, so it feels far more complete that TB1 ever did.

.....IMHO  :)

but i do admit, tbIII is far more diffrent and unique, still making it one of my favourites, but as i said, for me, TBII is music perfection.

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2006, 15:32

Quote (jonnyw @ Feb. 13 2006, 15:25)
it doesnt feel like mike is trying to copy TBi in any way

I do, for the fact that most of the many themes and sections are done by taking something from TB1 and reworking the notes a little. He does this always so that you can always recognize the TB1 theme that is being reprised in its new TB2 version. He does this section by section, in order (with minor exceptions) the beginning to the end.  

For example, where there is a mournful accoustic section in TB1, you will find almost the same theme, played the same way, in the same spot in TB2 as "Red Dawn" (but with a Claire Torey-like vocal added). In some sections, such as the beginning of "Dark Star" or much of "Tattoo", you have to think a bit to find out what has changed when it comes to the melody. I call that "trying to copy", in many ways.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2006, 09:47

ooooh yes i totally understand that!, but tubualr bells i was my main musical inspiration from about the age of 3. and although i listened to tbi before this, tbii seems more... complete to me, i dont know maybe its just my sentimentality towards the whole album. but basically, imho, i prefer it by miles to any other tubular bells...

...even though tbiii is great too :)

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 15 2007, 16:39

Quote (knife edge @ Nov. 16 2005, 03:45)
"Serpent dream" is just beautiful, and so all the other tracks, it has something in common both with the original TB, Crises, Ommadawn, with an aggressive mood that blows me away.

But imho it has a thing in common with the first tubular bells: the crazyness and roughness.

I like your use of the word "aggressive", knife edge. There is real intensity in Tubular Bells III. The guitar playing, in particular, catches my attention - passionate and sometimes angry-sounding.

I've listened to TBIII, then Voyager immediately after, and appreciated the complimenting contrast.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2008, 06:25

Continuing my catch-up on MO albums after a lamentable number of years away:

Listened to this just now and really enjoyed it.  While it is obviously a part of the TB "family", it is original and modern enough to stand on its own.

I must admit I had approached it with some trepidation after seeing some reviews on the net, also some fear of "here we go again".  All laid to rest, some great guitars, keyboards, and a nice mix of tempo and dance beats.  I am a bit of a musical dinosaur but may have to change my spots (go the mixed metaphors).

Oh, and that childlike voice at the end "... except for the sound of tubulaar bells" was brilliant, as was the finale - never thought anything in TB would have me wanting to jump up and boogie - listened to it 3 times - wow.
Profile PM 
9 replies since Nov. 16 2005, 03:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net