Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells II - Early Stages, Uhhh, the 'B' Side of Sentnal Single< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Anonymizeruk Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 13 2003, 16:26

Greetings fellow Oldfield fans.

I've recently aquired a copy of the 7" Vinyl of Sentinel.

On the 'B' side, there is a track of the early stages of TBII. I was wondering if anyone else likes it as much as I do!

I'm a huge fan of TBII anyway, but I think this single version was mindblowing!

What do you think?

Cheers

Gary
Profile PM 
jael on holiday
Unregistered

Posted: July 13 2003, 17:31

Yes, I liked it though I was very releaved when it turned out the final version was way more of the original.....
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 13 2003, 17:43

It's amazing how different it is in feel to Sentinel - I think it has a certain dark, brooding quality which is far more similar in feel to the original Tubular Bells than any other piece of his more modern work (I don't think even Tubular Bells 2003 comes as close). I'd imagine that much of this comes from it being not as heavily produced as Tubular Bells II was.

I particularly like the bass line - that's a hugely powerful sound (I wonder what playing like that would have sounded like on Introduction...). The only thing I find slightly irritating are the organ stabs, which sometimes feel rather badly timed (that may be deliberate, but it disturbs me slightly).

We can only wonder what things would have been like had he carried on in a similar way for the album...
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 09 2004, 10:48

Quote (Korgscrew @ July 13 2003, 17:43)
The only thing I find slightly irritating are the organ stabs, which sometimes feel rather badly timed (that may be deliberate, but it disturbs me slightly).

I think the timing MUST be deliberate, but I agree I don't think they quite work like this.

I do love Early Stages though.  Together with the restructured Sentinel, it makes for a great single.  Heck, I might even go so far as to say it's an essential non-album purchase.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Q! Offline

Posted: July 15 2004, 13:25

yup, i think 'mindblowing' sums it up accurately :-) shame that tb2 turned out the way it did, it could have been such a great album.

--------------
http://qisgod.host.sk/
Profile PM WEB 
4 replies since July 13 2003, 16:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net