Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells Half Speed Master?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Man In The Rain Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 08 2002, 16:27

I've come across scant mention of a 'half speed master' version of the LP issued in the US I believe around '75...does anyone know what this is? does it have better sound quality than the standard LP or...and this will sound foolish to those who know the answer...does it play very, very slowly biggrin?...
Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 08 2002, 17:58

"Half Speed Mastering" is just the name of a mastering technique used around that time for vinyl LPs and tapes. I have it on many Italian 70s LPs. AFAIK it does not sound better than anything, it is just a standard technique. But I cannot give you any indication about how it works because I don't know... smile

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 09 2002, 18:17

oh that makes sense...like the 'digital metal mastering' stamp on the discovery LP...it must mean the music is taken from the master at half the speed, so that there should be a higher definition in the sound...anyway, thanks for the info Ugo!...
Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 09 2002, 20:37

Yes, you've got it...Both the master tape and the record cutting lathe are run at half speed. The reduced speed of the cutter means it's able to cut the grooves more accurately, giving a clearer end result than with it running at the usual speed. It was a process used for 'audiophile' releases, which were usually (if not always) pressed to higher quality, heavier vinyl.
Profile PM 
3 replies since April 08 2002, 16:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net