Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells Cookies< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Dec. 17 2008, 23:23

Tubular Bells Cookies

Back when I had a website, I had several different versions of this recipe posted. That was at least two computer crashes ago, and I cannot locate the file. I used to attempt to make them hollow, but kinda gave up on that. I like this recipe the best. It was adapted from a Kourabiedes recipe that a Greek friend gave me in college. Her mother ran a restaurant and used to make them by the truckload! You can add mini-chocolate chips to the dough, and omit the almonds and substitute vanilla flavoring. If you're going the chocolate route, don't add the clove (unless you really want to) , but if you're making them more traditionally, you can place a clove in the center for more flavor.

Sorry that this in in a quaint system of measurement not used by much of the world. /-:

1 c. clarified butter (I am not on staff at Land-o-Lakes and don't own company stock, but their butter seems to work the best, if you're in the US! ). Be sure to use unsalted. To clarify, melt and just use the yellow part. You may have to melt 3 sticks instead of 2 to achieve this depending on what kind of butter you've used. With LoL it is closer to 2. If you've used salted butter, you'll need to skim off the salt.

1/2 c. confectioner's sugar
1 egg yoke
2T brandy
1/2 t. almond flavoring
1/3 finely ground almonds

Mix those ingredients and add to them:

2 1/4 c. sifted flour

Rest the dough a few minutes. Very lightly grease the cookie sheets, preheat oven to 325 degrees. Scoop up a tablespoon or more in your hand, roll it into something tubular, pretend that you are a gorilla, and bend the thing. (-: OK...more gently. After you've prepared a sheet of cookies for baking, place a whole clove in the center of each one, if you so desire. Cookies will bake for 15 min. They shouldn't be brown on the bottom, just sandy-colored all over. After they cool, roll them in more confectioner's sugar. Keep in the clove until just before serving. The cookies store well in a tight container. The number you make depends on how big you want your tubular bells to be. :D

Good luck with them and enjoy!

Sweet solstice greetings,

M-C

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 18 2008, 05:15

It's significant, Inkanta, that this recipe uses almond flavouring, for I was reading some scientific paper a while ago that found there seems to be a gender-based bias in favour of it. That's why, apparently, nearly all marzipan lovers are female! (True to my gender, I hate the stuff!;)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2008, 05:35

Thanks so much for sharing your recipe, Inkanta. It sounds yummy! I've saved it as a document, hopefully for future use.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Dec. 18 2008, 07:20

Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 18 2008, 05:15)
It's significant, Inkanta, that this recipe uses almond flavouring, for I was reading some scientific paper a while ago that found there seems to be a gender-based bias in favour of it. That's why, apparently, nearly all marzipan lovers are female! (True to my gender, I hate the stuff!;)

Wow--the guys that have been in my life who have specifically asked for baked stuff inevitably have asked for items I make containing almond--either Kourabiedes or Spritz, which also uses it (at least that's how my Norwegian grandmother made them), or a silver cake. My brownies and then a rolled  cookie that has a frosting containing a bit of anise are also popular, but hmm...everything else has almond. Even the julekaka has a glaze containing almond flavoring.  I don't know how aware anyone is of the ingredients in those things. It would be interesting to see the study and how they constructed it. For example, did they account for cultural differences? Were the subjects aware that they were being exposed to various flavorings?

Like I said, if you don't like almonds, you can use vanilla--and--you can substitute walnuts for almonds--and add or not add chocolate chips. The recipe lends itself quite well to experimentation. Have phun! (-:

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: April 06 2011, 09:10

I love almond-flavored stuff. But then an old mystic woman once told me I had a female spirit. :O

She also attempted to teach me how to dissolve a cloud with my mind. :D

Oh, and the cookies sound good, Inkanta (trying my goshdarned best to stay on topic ;))
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 06 2011, 09:20

Quote (Syd B @ April 06 2011, 09:10)
I love almond-flavored stuff. But then an old mystic woman once told me I had a female spirit. :O

Link?  :laugh:

Yes, Basswoman, the cookies sound great.  :D
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: April 06 2011, 09:33

Link. Is. A. GUY!!! :(
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: April 07 2011, 04:03

I love Almond Croissants...does that count?

:p
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: April 07 2011, 04:14

:p ..with a cream coffee and you would be right into a traditional Parisian breakfast !
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: April 07 2011, 07:27

Quote (Tubular Tos @ April 07 2011, 09:14)
:p ..with a cream coffee and you would be right into a traditional Parisian breakfast !

sounds delicious Tos....must pop over to France before I head back Downunder.
Profile PM 
9 replies since Dec. 17 2008, 23:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net