[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells and Christian Vander of Magma< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
wiga Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 07 2009, 07:40

Quote (Jesse @ July 07 2009, 07:02)
I am a composer myself and people often go like 'woah, you must be SO inspired by vangelis and jarre and tangerine dream'. Yeah whatever, hardly ever heard any tunes by these guys.

Jesse - Love that phrase "Yeah Whatever" - infact I think you have a look of Liam Linch - and great song!

United States of Whatever - Liam Linch

:D

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: July 07 2009, 07:55

lol

I just get a bit bored with people going 'omg he totally got that from blablabla', as it can be obtained from so many places.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 07 2009, 09:59

Well what about the use of similar "patches" instruments,drum loops and "ethnic" singing all on the same track,such as Hibernaculum for instance?You know it`s a pretty big co-incidence for all those things to just suddenly turn up together all at the same time.Especialy when somebody else has just had a massive world wide hit with pretty much the same formula..i.e. Enigma!

Fair enough Mike had himself explored and utilised "ethnic" music if you like,long before Enigma ever even existed.But I`m sorry I don`t see it as a "wild guess" at all,I`d say it`s pretty much bang on imo.All I can say is maybe Mike is embarrased to say he was "inspired" (and I use the term loosely) by Enigma.Where as with someone like Philip Glass he would appear to be at least a little more forthcoming..To a degree.I`m not saying he went into the studio to totally rip those guys off from the offset.But I would say I`m pretty damn sure he went in there to create something in a very similar kind of style.Only with it being Mike Oldfield I think he at least took it to a whole new higher level imo.

At the end of the day maybe Mike has mentioned Enigma somewhere down the line,and I`m doing him a great dis-service here.I know he certainly worked with Michael Cretu during the Islands sessions,so he has at least met him.Maybe someone out there can shed a little more light on the Enigma mystery?..
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: July 07 2009, 10:19

I do not rule it out, but it could just as well be that he doesn't know he heard enigma, or that he heard someone else rip off enigma.

Appearently I make music like Enigma, but I think I was inspired by MO, who may have been influenced by Enigma.

What a mystery :D
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 07 2009, 13:31

http://comment.silicon.com/0,39024711,11035746,00.htm

"No, the Intel Inside jingle isn't the opening notes to Tubular Bells." Intel spokesman after comments by composer Mike Oldfield on Radio 2.

He even stole the idea to say his music was stolen.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 07 2009, 14:25

@ Olivier: actually, it is. First four notes of TB: E-A-E-B; four notes of Intel Inside jingle: C sharp-F sharp-C sharp-G sharp. They are the same notes three semitones below. :D Take a look at this, especially the bit with the "Handel pitch shifted up 4 semitones": it sounds almost exactly like the start of TB. What a pity that Mike's original melody hasn't found its place into this clever analysis. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: July 07 2009, 14:54

I found that to be ridiculous as it is just 3 tones and even different tones, just with the same intervals. That's hardly stealing. The simpsons made a joke claiming that Disney hold the right to the D-minor scale ^^
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 08 2009, 02:51

Quote (Jesse @ July 07 2009, 15:19)
I do not rule it out, but it could just as well be that he doesn't know he heard enigma, or that he heard someone else rip off enigma.

Appearently I make music like Enigma, but I think I was inspired by MO, who may have been influenced by Enigma.

Fair enough Jesse.From my own perspective I just remember being in my car with a friend of mine when we first heard Hibernaculum on the radio.And in all honesty I think I was in some kind denial/state of shock at first.While my friend who was also an MO fan back then was rather less forgiving and immediatley quipped.."Come off it,he`s surely taking the piss here is`nt he"!?..

I think from that moment on anything Mike recorded that even sounded remotely like Enigma.Well yeah it kind of "bugged" me a little bit.Right up to stuff like Our Father or Tears Of An Angel from his L&S album I`d be "hearing" them.I mean "style" wise I don`t think he really progressed an awful lot,if at all over that whole 12-13 year period.Even though I still think he recorded some pretty good music along the way.
Profile PM 
Almohan Offline

Posted: July 08 2009, 03:14

Take a look at this

Actually they'd better take a look at this. ;)
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: July 08 2009, 12:42

Quote (Dirk Star @ July 08 2009, 02:51)
Quote (Jesse @ July 07 2009, 15:19)

Fair enough Jesse.From my own perspective I just remember being in my car with a friend of mine when we first heard Hibernaculum on the radio.And in all honesty I think I was in some kind denial/state of shock at first.While my friend who was also an MO fan back then was rather less forgiving and immediatley quipped.."Come off it,he`s surely taking the piss here is`nt he"!?..

I think from that moment on anything Mike recorded that even sounded remotely like Enigma.Well yeah it kind of "bugged" me a little bit.Right up to stuff like Our Father or Tears Of An Angel from his L&S album I`d be "hearing" them.I mean "style" wise I don`t think he really progressed an awful lot,if at all over that whole 12-13 year period.Even though I still think he recorded some pretty good music along the way.

Surely there is a huge difference between TSODE on one hand and tr3s lunas + light and shade on the other hand. Not in style persé but definitely atmosphere. But nevermind...let's get back ontopic.

I do not really understand it much at all. Back in the classical days, everyone was using the same instruments and music styles. It mattered more how you used them.

I mean, is MO doing classic music not exactly the same? Surely it has been done before, but he never claimed he was inventing new music styles right?
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 08 2009, 16:17

Quote (Ugo @ July 07 2009, 14:25)
@ Olivier: actually, it is. First four notes of TB: E-A-E-B; four notes of Intel Inside jingle: C sharp-F sharp-C sharp-G sharp. They are the same notes three semitones below. :D Take a look at this, especially the bit with the "Handel pitch shifted up 4 semitones": it sounds almost exactly like the start of TB. What a pity that Mike's original melody hasn't found its place into this clever analysis. :)

Throwing some of my cents in: the big difference between the jingle and Mike Oldfield's theme, though, is that Tubular Bells is definitely minor key, while the Intel jingle suggests a major key. In that way, they're totally different things, because the context is very different.

By the way, that analysis was pretty amusing. There's also this really cool page that explains a bit of the making of the jingle, as well as awesome stories about the THX Deep Note and Brian Eno's Microsoft sound, and others.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
30 replies since June 25 2009, 07:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net