Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells 4, Facebook Page Update< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Platinumpty Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 30 2013, 05:20

Hope everyone's been over to the Facebook page and seen the following from Caroline:

(at 7.58pm)

"Exclusive!!!!!!  Mike has been thinking now that Man on the Rocks is almost finished what to do in 2014.  He is in two minds as to either making a 5.1 surround mix of Don Alphonso or Tubular Bells 4.  What do you think? xxx"

(at 9.19 after the fans had gone into frenzy)

"TB4"

(cue more frenzy)

Seems pretty clear from this that we're getting another instrumental opus!  And sooner than we might expect.
Profile PM WEB 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2013, 12:31

please.... this is not real????....TUB BELLS 4 ????????

How about a original themed instrumental album.
I think we're all "belled" out !!!!!
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2013, 12:59

My guess is it will be called TB4 for marketing reasons but, like TB3, will have little other connection (other than probably the use of tubular bells somewhere on it).  It wont be another TBII "mirror image" version.

Let's face it, if it's called TBIV it will sell 10,000,000 copies but if it's called Amarok II you can probably knock a couple of zeroes off that.

I don't really care whether it's called Tubular Bells IV or "Midget-Wrestling in Custard", so long as there's some interesting instrumental music on it.
Profile PM WEB 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2013, 13:07

Quote (Bell Boy @ Oct. 30 2013, 18:31)
I think we're all "belled" out !!!!!

Says someone whose nickname is Bell Boy  :p

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2013, 13:20

Tubular Bells 4!!! Please NO NO NO NO!
You got it right the first time Mike. Leave it alone and move on! :(

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 'That I was used to drive  
And hear the harness jingle  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2013, 08:00

just seen this .... wow !  :O

hope it can be a long instrumental piece...

I don't have a problem with the 'name' of it at all...the music is all that matters and that Mike wants to create something...and enjoys the process too...good times ahead

it will be interesting to compare - 40 years between - that's a long time...and I love listening for references to the original ...he's always been good at weaving them in

there will never be too many Tubular Bells or Amaroks or Ommadawns

:)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2013, 08:06

I could be wrong, but I think Mike is just having a laugh!! Did anyone also read 5.1 surround mix of Don Alphonso? the same song that Mike doesn't even like.

I think he should play some live gigs.
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2013, 08:54

I hope its a joke....BUT I think not.
From a manager/career move... it makes sense, to cash in the Olympics and the BBC 4 doc...and anything with a TUB BELLS will sell.

What worries me is the way that they almost dismissing the ROCK album, and moving on before that has even had time to come out.
What we want is a MIKE OLDFIELD album, not a bunch of session players, and Mike putting a small % of him on it, as seems the case with the Rock album.
The classic 4 was almost all MO, and thats what moves me.
To be controversial the word "tired" could be used.
I know it have been a lot of effort to make those classic 4, and its much easier to hand it over and sit back.
And as he's almost retired perhaps thats all were going to get.
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2013, 11:02

Remember everyone, Mike made "Earth Moving" before he made "Amarok".

Maybe history is repeating itself now.
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 31 2013, 19:27

It could be cool to release it using 2 different simultaneous approaches: Tubular Bells 4, and another name and packaging. And compare the buzz, the sales, etc. and have fun...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2013, 09:12

Seeing the choice between Tubular Bells IV and a 5.1 mix of Don Alfonso, I also had the sense that it was just a daft joke on Mike or Caroline's part.

Still, Mike has hinted before how his next album might be a hand played instrumental album. Considering how deconstructed Tubular Bells III was (and how that structure was also used for Music of the Spheres), all he'd really have to do is lose the piano at the beginning and the 'Finale' riff at the end and he'd have a totally new instrumental album which wouldn't elicit the "Oh no, not again" response.

What I'd set as a challenge to Mike is to come up with Tubular Bells parts 3 and 4, a companion to the parts 1 and 2 on the first album. They can still include themes from parts 1 and 2 - indeed, I think part of the challenge would be placing the music within the Tubular Bells 'world' without resorting to the piano->bells and harmonics->hornpipe structure. I might allow Part 4 to end with some bells, though, if Mike pleads with me enough ;)
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2013, 11:28

My reading of it was that he'd already decided to embark on another full instrumental album and TB IV would be the most marketable name under which to do so (whilst pretty much doing as he pleases with the actual music).  Therefore throwing the Don Alphonso 5.1 choice into the mix was like saying "would you like arsenic-infused charcoal sprinkled on your ice-cream or chocolate sprinkles? i.e. not a choice.

I'm guessing writing Man on the Rocks through up a few melodies which wouldn't fit on a song album format and so he's got notions of using them to build a more expansive musical canvas.

I'm glad because it will flex the compositional muscles in time for him to write me a film soundtrack in 2015-16!
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2013, 15:46

Quote (Korgscrew @ Nov. 01 2013, 06:12)
Seeing the choice between Tubular Bells IV and a 5.1 mix of Don Alfonso, I also had the sense that it was just a daft joke on Mike or Caroline's part.

So now my new theory on the Millennium Bell episode is it started as a joke that Mike took seriously. :p
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2013, 20:37

Quote (Olivier @ Nov. 03 2013, 19:46)
So now my new theory on the Millennium Bell episode is it started as a joke that Mike took seriously. :p

Well, you know...Caroline was certainly credited for the cover of that one...so...how much else might have happened that way? ;)
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 04 2013, 14:13

Quote (Korgscrew @ Nov. 03 2013, 20:37)
Well, you know...Caroline was certainly credited for the cover of that one...so...how much else might have happened that way? ;)

"You know, Mike? There are two awesome ideas that you can do now: set yourself on fire, and record a bland, generic New-Age-inspired 'celtic' record! So what do you think?... wait, Mike? Where are you going?... Oh, Christ, what have I done..."

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2013, 20:16

Just so we NEVER have another Voyager album cover.

All a bit http://youtu.be/5H2hgNX9AC0

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2013, 08:27

I thought it was a joke when I read it on facebook too. It has to be said though if Mike was going to do TB 2 and 3 then he's going to do 4, 5 and 6. Crass marketing, unoriginality and flogging a dead horse obviously aren't notions that are on his artistic horizon. TB obviously make him money more than other albums and maybe right now he needs it.

I much preferred TB3 over TB2 though and if he can carry on down the road of deconstructing it even more then I'll give it a listen. Its just a shame that he has to do damage to the credibility of his career in music just at a time when you kind of thought he was getting some much deserved recognition back for it
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2013, 16:33

Taurus 4, Taurus 4, Taurus 4!
Profile PM 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2013, 18:02

Ommadawn 2, 3 and 4

:-)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2013, 02:23

QE3! :-D

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
39 replies since Oct. 30 2013, 05:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net