Holger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 14 2013, 17:03

Second Excursion ;)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2013, 01:54

Quote (First_Excursion @ Nov. 14 2013, 15:59)
Rediscovery

Recovery!  :laugh:

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2013, 08:00

Seven's Open

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2013, 09:34

Pinkantations (a disco remix album on lurid pink vinyl)
Profile PM WEB 
xxbbcc Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2013, 23:49

Quote (Platinumpty @ Oct. 30 2013, 12:59)
My guess is it will be called TB4 for marketing reasons but, like TB3, will have little other connection (other than probably the use of tubular bells somewhere on it).  It wont be another TBII "mirror image" version.

Let's face it, if it's called TBIV it will sell 10,000,000 copies but if it's called Amarok II you can probably knock a couple of zeroes off that.

I don't really care whether it's called Tubular Bells IV or "Midget-Wrestling in Custard", so long as there's some interesting instrumental music on it.

^^^ This. ^^^

Quote (First_Excursion @ Nov. 10 2013, 16:33)
Taurus 4, Taurus 4, Taurus 4!

^^^ And this. ^^^
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2013, 08:33

On the Facebook page, yes, there was this post about Tubular Bells 4.

But later, another post was talking about Mike wanting to do a prequel to Tubular Bells, called Tubular Bells 0, inspired by what inspired him at the time, Terry Riley.

So now it's not clear for me if these are two separate albums or if TB4 mutated into TB0...
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2013, 13:44

Quote (Drealm @ Nov. 20 2013, 14:33)

But later, another post was talking about Mike wanting to do a prequel to Tubular Bells, called Tubular Bells 0, inspired by what inspired him at the time, Terry Riley.

So now it's not clear for me if these are two separate albums of if TB4 mutated into TB0...

Really? Now that could be interesting. Though I can't really see how the Mike of today could pull that off, it seems so far removed from anything he's done in... a long time, really. Still, I wouldn't complain if he went ahead with it, even if it ended up sounding nothing like Riley - as it is at least an interesting concept.
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2013, 14:21

Quote (Holger @ Nov. 20 2013, 13:44)
Quote (Drealm @ Nov. 20 2013, 14:33)

So now it's not clear for me if these are two separate albums of if TB4 mutated into TB0...

Really? Now that could be interesting. Though I can't really see how the Mike of today could pull that off, it seems so far removed from anything he's done in... a long time, really. Still, I wouldn't complain if he went ahead with it, even if it ended up sounding nothing like Riley - as it is at least an interesting concept.

Yes, really. Caroline Monk, the women who act on facebook as Mike agent, event asked everybody to submit what could be the cover made by fans. Very interesting covers were posted.

I don't know if she will eventually use one of them for actual cover, time will tell.
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2013, 11:51

For non-Facebookers, Mike posted recently that he's rejuvenating his digital recording studio (finally retiring the analog kit) and has also purchased a glockenspiel from Amazon!  Experiments with "60s and 70s sounding instruments" are apparently afoot.

This would seem to tie in with the Tubular Bells 0 (or 4?) speculations and Mike's own mention of experimenting with Terry Riley-esque synth patterns.  An instrumental album with "real" instruments does seem to be in the offing...
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2013, 13:40

I thought Mike retired all his analogue kit years ago. Weren't albums like Tres Lunas and Light and Shade recorded totally digitally?

I'm really excited at the prospect of Mike investing in and playing real hand played instruments again. Less excited by the prospect of yet another TB album but if the music is good then what the heck. Knowing how Mike sometimes changes his mind as projects evolve maybe this will turn into an original album in its own right anyway.
Profile PM 
MasterGeek.MX Offline

Posted: Dec. 17 2013, 22:20

Doesn't matterthe name, Mike comes alive!. Even if the disc is called "Finally breakfast in bed". He only dissapointed me a bit with Earth Moving (very commercial, but awesome songs like "Innocent" or "Holy") and Voyager (too "new age" for me, but I like "Voyager", "The Song of The Sun" and "Flowers of the Forest"). But, you know, all the Mike's discs are different, some one similars, but no one is repeated.

--------------
Hailings from a Mexican Mike Oldfield's fan.

Y chingue su madre el que no le guste Campanas Tubulares!
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Dec. 19 2013, 16:05

Too (2) Far above the Clouds?

Ommanoon?
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 20 2013, 04:31

Quote (Marky @ Dec. 19 2013, 16:05)
Too (2) Far above the Clouds?

Ommanoon?

Ommadusk for chrissakes! :-)
I've been having a steady flow of mind expanding ideas coming up for the last couple of days, and one of them was to have Tubular Bells become a franchise. Whoever decides to  do a Tubular Bells album must send an application (along with a demo recording) to the Tubular Bells committé who will then reject or approve the application. Certain musical and aesthetic standards must be met. An admnistrative fee must then be settled and the project willbe assigned a number (for example "Tubular Bells 24").
In this way, we can have Tubular Bells long even when Mike Oldfield is no longer with us. Plus we can have more Tubular Bells when he's still here.
I mean, what if someone out there could make a better Tubular Bells album than Mike himself? At present, I don't rule this out at all.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 22 2013, 10:23

Quote (larstangmark @ Dec. 20 2013, 04:31)
I've been having a steady flow of mind expanding ideas coming up for the last couple of days, and one of them was to have Tubular Bells become a franchise. Whoever decides to  do a Tubular Bells album must send an application (along with a demo recording) to the Tubular Bells committé who will then reject or approve the application. Certain musical and aesthetic standards must be met. An admnistrative fee must then be settled and the project willbe assigned a number (for example "Tubular Bells 24").

A number? Oh, no, I think better ideas are in stock.

Radiohead - Tubular Morning Bells (Morning Mr. Piltdown Man)
Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Bells (featuring hits such as Reach for the Bell, Split Your Tubularities and Belldown)
Daft Punk - Tubular After All
Autechre - tubuLar (e)4prAE.1.1.0.1 BElls3
Mogwai - We Are Not Tubular, But Neither Are You (featuring hits like The Bell Tastes Too Oldfield, My Mandolin Turns Your Boss Into A Vampire, The Earth Moving Sacrificial Ritual Party and I Love Amarok, I'm Going To Blow Up Richard Branson's House)
Sigur Rós - Slöngulaga bjöllur 2: Mike Oldfield er hálfviti! (which Mike will love, especially since he can't read Icelandic)
Venetian Snares - Fuck Mike Oldfield And His Fucking Bells: A love letter in 29/16
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - And the Tubes Yell "Mercy!" from the top of the Cold Mountain in a starry night in June, and the Bells Mourn Solemnly while we Lift our Skinny Fists like Antennas to Far Above the Clouds and the Hairy Amp Drooling (Edward Snowden Lives Forever)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2013, 13:12

Since the new Tubular Bells will feature "Terry Reily Esque Synths" Mike should take the opportunity to undust his classic analog synthesizers such as the Prophet 5 (last seen on 1985's Pictures In The Dark), the Polymoog (last seen on 1986's Shine), the ARP Solina String Ensemble (last seen on 1990's Amarok), the ARP 2600 (last seen on 1979's Exposed) and the Roland SH 2000 (last seen in 1981 Live At Montreux Concert) and the Roland VP 330 Vocoder Plus (last seen on 1990's Amarok) and the Oberheim OB-XA (last seen jointly on 1984's Discovery/The Killing Fields).

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2013, 14:59

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Dec. 22 2013, 10:23)
Quote (larstangmark @ Dec. 20 2013, 04:31)

A number? Oh, no, I think better ideas are in stock.

Radiohead - Tubular Morning Bells (Morning Mr. Piltdown Man)
Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Bells (featuring hits such as Reach for the Bell, Split Your Tubularities and Belldown)
Daft Punk - Tubular After All
Autechre - tubuLar (e)4prAE.1.1.0.1 BElls3
Mogwai - We Are Not Tubular, But Neither Are You (featuring hits like The Bell Tastes Too Oldfield, My Mandolin Turns Your Boss Into A Vampire, The Earth Moving Sacrificial Ritual Party and I Love Amarok, I'm Going To Blow Up Richard Branson's House)
Sigur Rós - Slöngulaga bjöllur 2: Mike Oldfield er hálfviti! (which Mike will love, especially since he can't read Icelandic)
Venetian Snares - Fuck Mike Oldfield And His Fucking Bells: A love letter in 29/16
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - And the Tubes Yell "Mercy!" from the top of the Cold Mountain in a starry night in June, and the Bells Mourn Solemnly while we Lift our Skinny Fists like Antennas to Far Above the Clouds and the Hairy Amp Drooling (Edward Snowden Lives Forever)

If you'd told me today that all those did exist I would have belived you. Except for the "godspeed..." one. Honest!

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
39 replies since Oct. 30 2013, 05:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net