Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells 2003 in the US?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 17 2003, 01:50

Borders is selling in the US copies of Tubular Bells 2003 with "Featured in the upcoming EXORCIST: The Beginning" stickers. There is no copy protection, and no import stickers. (Thanks Christopher Hopkins)
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 17 2003, 15:38

So can we gather from that that the new Exorcist prequal/sequal is using TB2003 as its theme as opposed to the original version? It's weird because the other day I came up with a theory that one of the reasons Mike used that syth bass sound was to steer the new version away from sounding so much like a horror soundtrack, something we know he never wanted the original to be.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2003, 16:07

The synth bass has IMHO nothing to do with the 'horrorness' of the theme. It's that repetitive tinkling piano. Most soundtracks of horror films released after "The [original] Exorcist" have got a repetitive tinkling piano or a tinkling keyboard. :) Just think about the often-quoted "Profondo Rosso", or about John Carpenter's main theme from "Halloween".

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2003, 16:19

I think it has a lot to do with it - the more groovy the bassline is, the less eery the feel of the piece is. The arrangement on Exposed does a similar thing to it.

Mike may have not wanted the original associations with The Exorcist, but this time round his attitudes in such commercial directions seem rather changed...
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2003, 19:00

Look at this.  The only time Mike gets any recognition in the USA is when he makes another Tubular Bells album!  The ONLY time a piece of his music becomes domestically available, and it's a TB album!

He's done so much more in the last 30 years; why does he only get noticed in the USA for TB?!

And the ONLY reason it gets released in the USA is because of a new Exorcist movie coming out, so it's a marketing thing!  This could be a good thing; ANY exposure in the USA could open the floodgates to domestic releases.  Still, why does it have to be TB?  Why can't movie makers use something else?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2003, 03:10

Fox: see my post above (and even better, Korgscrew's reply to it) for the reasons why (horror) movie makers like TB. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2003, 10:09

Oh I understand why they're using the TB theme.  It is the Exorcist 2; TB seems a tradition.

What I want to know is why the only album domestically released in the USA for as long as I can remember is TB2003, and only because of the Exorcist.  He's done so much more, why do we in the states only know him for Tubular Bells?

Are they trying to start some interest in Mike Oldfield?

Maybe it's a good thing.  But I think we yanks need exposure to his other works.
Profile PM 
Adam Ward
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 18 2003, 17:50

It's a great start that TB2003 is Released in the US (It was released by Rhino Records on Aug. 5th, which means that they've picked up Mike for distribution, at least for one album.)  The Art in Heaven DVD was also recently released in the US, and this is the first released in the US Since Voyager 1995.  Maybe they can go back and release the albums since.  Remastered versions of Amoak and all the albums before it are currently available at rather large record stores in the US, or by special order.  I think fans of the US Jamband scene ie Grateful Dead, Phish, etc could easily be turned on to this music.  The scene is very inclusive, and underground festivals such as Bonaroo, and hundreds of other smaller ones often feature music from electronica to bluegrass.  Trouble is, you really have to tour in the US a lot to become popular these days, and they need to do some more extensive marketing over here.  Anyways, I'll keep trying to turn people on to Mike, but US audiances are sometimes turned off by the more cheesy pop songs from the 80s -Adam Ward www.cdbaby/adamward
alexander.schweigert
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 20 2003, 16:11

My Question is:
Has anybody of you Mike Oldfield Fans a Commercial No Copy-Protection Version of TB2003?
I think, all of the Commercial Offers only forgot the "Copy-Protection" Warning.
Olivier Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2003, 18:12

There is no copy protection on the Canadian release. Or if there is, I was able play it in my stereo, my Mac, my car, and on the PC at work without any problem at all, and all the people who got it didn't report any problem.
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2003, 08:18

Thanks to Olivier my TB2003 is also the Canadian version : there is the "CD audio" logo on it, so it's a true CD audio and not a "twisted data CD" like all the copy-protected or copy-controlled ones.

And I'm ha-ha-happy.

:music:

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
alexander.schweigert Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2003, 14:57

Perfect. Thank you for answer. So Olivier, thousands of German Mike Oldfield Fans will order it via Tubular.net ;-)

--------------
www.oldfield.de
Profile PM WEB 
The Warlock
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 26 2003, 11:40

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 17 2003, 16:07)
The synth bass has IMHO nothing to do with the 'horrorness' of the theme. It's that repetitive tinkling piano. Most soundtracks of horror films released after "The [original] Exorcist" have got a repetitive tinkling piano or a tinkling keyboard. :) Just think about the often-quoted "Profondo Rosso", or about John Carpenter's main theme from "Halloween".

The synth bass has IMHO nothing to do with the 'horrorness' of the theme.

A matter of tastes, no doubt.
We are many, who think this MIDI synth bass is an HORROR by itself....
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2003, 22:31

I'm sure that it has been debated to death endlessly on these forums here, but it is remarkable to note that by releasing a standard REAL audio CD version of Tubular Bells 2003, it *completely* makes redundant the creation of the copy-protected version in the first place, as if it wasn't pointless enough already!

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
The Warlock
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 12 2003, 07:49

Quote (Man In The Rain @ Sep. 13 2003, 22:31)
I'm sure that it has been debated to death endlessly on these forums here, but it is remarkable to note that by releasing a standard REAL audio CD version of Tubular Bells 2003, it *completely* makes redundant the creation of the copy-protected version in the first place, as if it wasn't pointless enough already!

I´m agree, fellow MIDR.
The Warlock
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 14 2004, 07:59

:-)
15 replies since Aug. 17 2003, 01:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net