Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: tubular bells 2 concert score< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ThisName Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 10:39

Hi all. I am seekig the tubular bells concert score. I have only seen it once on ebay and wonder if anyone knows what it is like? I am in the process of making analysis of mike's major works but obviously finding scores is a reall challenge. Does anyone have any scores, or links to scores that could help?

Thanks (and yes i know i ask for lots but am planning to give something back soon ;)

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: May 29 2006, 12:32

I finally obtained a copy from ebay of this score for £15 which i am very pleased with, I think I got a bargain!

I have 3 questions though:

1. Who made the score, is it david bedford?

2. Why are no other mike oldfield works covered in such a way, I can think of many pieces that could be notated in full score rather than piano/vocal/tab etc

3. How in depth is the score, as the piece has so much happening I just wondered how much was actually notated, and how accurately.

Thanks all!

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: May 29 2006, 15:02

I'm not exactly sure but I think it was made as Tub2 was scored for an orchestra in any case so it could be played in Edinburgh.  I imagine they did a big run for them as an overview and sold of a few while they were there - there is also an abrieviated version in piano score (I got a copy of that too) they both came out just after the concert from what I remember.  

Wonder if anyone knows any of the mucisians who played?  Sone one must there were enough of them! plus half of the scots dragoon guards.!!

If you look at the convert video you can see they all have big thick scores and some clever vidio manipulator will no doubt be able to freeze frame them and see if the pages are the same?  ;)

Ray  :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 03 2006, 13:18

The TB2 concert at Edinburgh castle featured a veritable who's who of UK session musicians of the time. Of note was Scottish percussionist Alasdair Malloy who is world famous and is/was much in demand. He later worked with Mike again on the TB3 premier concert and on the excelent Later with Jools Holland performance. On drums was Ian Thomas who again worked on the same 3 performances, he comes from a Jazz background I think. It was basically the same Edinburgh TB2 crowd that toured with Mike in 93 although I think Mickey Simmonds may have replaced Adrian Thomas on that tour, not sure about that though.

I was lucky enough to meet them all coming out after one of the Albert Hall gigs in 93, they all seemed really friendly and Alasdair Malloy gave me a tin of beer.
However I've always thought that the Edinburgh Castle gig, and the subsequent 93 tour, seemed a little on the dull side both to be at and to watch on video. If you look at the musicians very few of them seem to be really getting in to it, a lot look like they were just going through their paces. If you compare that to the TB3 premier and the 99 tour everybody looked like they were getting well into it and really enjoying themselves, Including Mike. It makes a big difference to Mike's music to have a big sexy band performing it and making it totally rock, somthing which a lot of his earlier gigs lacked I think.
Profile PM 
3 replies since Feb. 08 2006, 10:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net