Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells- the tune...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
steviem Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 06 2001, 17:51

Well, yeah, the tune Tubular Bells that was used in the Exorcist. That's how I got into Mike's music, but now I'm confused. Tubular Bells 1- the version in Exorcist. Tubular Bells 2- I got a track called Sentinel, and it's just like Tubular Bells, but a more modern version.

I then found another file which I don't quite understand- it's called TB3, and it's like, a really cool groovy version of Tubular Bells. I even found a version with the X Files tune in it!!

Anyway, here's the problem- I need to know what is actually a Mike Oldfield track, and what is just another persons mix. Also, any other songs that use the tubular bells tune.

Thanks a load!
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: June 06 2001, 19:50

Tubular Bells 2- I got a track called Sentinel, and it's just like Tubular Bells, but a more modern version.

Exactly the point. Sentinel (and Tubular Bells II) is a Mike Oldfield piece. The whole album is a follow-up to Tubular Bells, with slight changes in the music but featuring the same instruments.

Tubular Bells III is also an official Mike Oldfield album. Mike was apparently influenced by the local clubs when he lived in Ibiza, which caused him to put the "dance beat" into the tracks with the Tubular Bells opening theme (ie the bit from the Exorcist).

So: TB2- official Mike Oldfield. Not a remix
TB3- official Mike Oldfield. Not a remix

Tubular X is the X-Files tune fused with the TB opening theme, and I think an official, although "rare" (I say rare but you'll probably find it on various rarities sites), release. There's a bit about it in the interviews page somewhere.

Other Mike Oldfield tracks with that theme:
see the "THAT Opening Theme" topic in the Mike's Style(s) section of these forums (sorry ChiRho).

Other tracks that use the TB theme: there's a section in the FAQ about this, and someone can probably help me out with this and the remixes bit, as I know nothing on this subject.

Remixes: see above comment.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
rosko Offline

Posted: June 07 2001, 08:21

Tubular X isn't exactly rare. It's included on the soundtrack to the X Files Movie.
btw - this is a geniune (while unoriginal in melody) Mike Oldfield track. It wasn't just someone else fusing the two themes together.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: June 07 2001, 09:43

btw - this is a geniune (while unoriginal in melody) Mike Oldfield track. It wasn't just someone else fusing the two themes together.

Oops! Obviously part of what I wrote wasn't entirely clear. It was meant to come across as rosko posted (very clearly) afterwards, but I don't think it did.

To repeat what rosko said, Tubular-X is basically an official fusion of the X-Files theme and the TB Opening Theme (I think Source of Secrets) by Mike Oldfield, available on the X-Files Movie Soundtrack, and probably nowhere else.

Sorry 'bout that redface

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
steviem Offline

Posted: June 07 2001, 14:23

Wow! Thanks a lot for your help guys. So..er, that's it. Thanks!

If anyone knows more, be sure to post it. smile
Profile PM 
4 replies since June 06 2001, 17:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net