Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Beats< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
neil-h Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 17 2012, 11:14

I just spotted this new Mike Oldfield remix compilation due out in Germany next February titled Tubular Beats. Surprisingly it's not released on Universal but on Edel. JPC have a tracklisting and it seems to feature loads of remixes by York & Mike and a new track Never Too Far (taken from Islands lyric?).

Here's the link: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng....1591573
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2012, 16:18

Wow!
Just another album I'm surely not gonna buy as the chance that this stuff sounds like the "Islanders"-tune seems to be not too low .....

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2012, 18:48

For me it sounds more interesting than a new rock album as I like to 2011 remix of guilty.
Profile PM 
neil-h Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2013, 04:34

Does anyone have any good suggestions of where to purchase this CD from?

Amazon UK are expensive at over £17 although this seems to be for the US pressing on Eagle Records. Amazon.de and jpc.de have the CD for 14.99 euros + shipping. Usually grooves-inc. are good price-wise but they don't seem to have the CD listed.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2013, 04:10

Does anyone know if you can buy this album as a digital download in the UK yet?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 06 2013, 05:22

Quote (TOBY @ Feb. 06 2013, 08:10)

While we should never say never, I suspect it'll be a while before it's officially available in the UK, if it ever is.

Mike's contract with Universal means that they have exclusive rights to his work. Torsten persuaded them to licence the material on this album to him, which eventually led to him taking it to earMusic/Edel. Though I don't know the full ins and outs of it, it seems that Mercury/Universal held on to the rights for the UK.

If it turns out to be a runaway success, perhaps they'll do a UK release, or maybe they'll put it out quietly at some point if they think they can make a quick buck out of it, but until they do, there'll be no digital downloads and no Spotify...which seems fairly daft, considering they'd probably only have to sell about 100 copies to cover all the admin costs of making a download available.
Profile PM 
Xavi Martinez Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2013, 04:35

Quote (stpaul @ Nov. 17 2012, 18:48)
For me it sounds more interesting than a new rock album as I like to 2011 remix of guilty.

Funny, I think exactly the opposite :)........ I do have a problem with people remixing other's music.......I remember having heard in the radio while driving what i thought it was Moonlight Shadow, until the "remix" part came in. I feel it's like ripping the heart of the original song.

Tubular beats............the sole use of the word "beat" beside "tubular" is already a sacrilege for me XDXDXD
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2013, 11:35

;) Totally agreed with you Xavi !!!
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2013, 14:02

Quote (Korgscrew @ Feb. 06 2013, 05:22)
Quote (TOBY @ Feb. 06 2013, 08:10)

While we should never say never, I suspect it'll be a while before it's officially available in the UK, if it ever is.

Mike's contract with Universal means that they have exclusive rights to his work. Torsten persuaded them to licence the material on this album to him, which eventually led to him taking it to earMusic/Edel. Though I don't know the full ins and outs of it, it seems that Mercury/Universal held on to the rights for the UK.

If it turns out to be a runaway success, perhaps they'll do a UK release, or maybe they'll put it out quietly at some point if they think they can make a quick buck out of it, but until they do, there'll be no digital downloads and no Spotify...which seems fairly daft, considering they'd probably only have to sell about 100 copies to cover all the admin costs of making a download available.

Cheers for the info Korgscrew. I've ordered a copy off Amazon.com. £10 delivered to the UK.

I'm intrigued to hear it. About 99% of the remixes of Mike's music I've heard over the years do his music a complete disservice. Tubular Beats sounds like it might be slightly better. Let There be Light mix sounds good anyway and North Star has potential. Want to hear more anyway.

Definitely seems odd for Universal not to release it unless they have plans for it? Maybe they have plans to release it in the UK closer to the new album launch to drum up a bit of awareness. i guess the Two Sides compilation wasn't so long ago and I know record companies don't like too many releases close together.
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2013, 21:27

yay someone else found this album!

i bought it off of regular amazon for $11.95.

great remixes! I like the FATC mix. Cool to see some work with York.

http://www.amazon.com/Tubular....r+beats

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2013, 08:27

I bought this album just today in a regular CD shop! In Czech republic that is quite a feat. :)

What can i say about it... I like it. I definitely like it. It is not entirely Mike's work, but it has the elements and in modern rythm. Not bad, not bad at all.

But what I have noticed in the booklet...

"Follow us on:
www.tubular.net
www.mikeoldfieldoffical.com..."

Now how do you feel about this site being featured on this album? :D
Profile PM 
10 replies since Nov. 17 2012, 11:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net