Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Balls (Cirque Surreal, 1995) by Rick Wakeman< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
4P Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 23 2001, 22:33

Hi, all,

Although I am a very MO fan, other musicians I like very much are Yes and its members; and recently I have downloaded former Yesman keyboardist Rick Wakeman's "Tubular Balls" from his work Cirque Surreal (1995) what he recorded with his band.
I have visited Wakeman's Internet site at http://www.rwcc.com and other Yes sites, but no explaination was given about if this track is a sort of joke about MO or whatever it is. Does anybody know something about this question?
Thanks in advance and best regards,

4P

PS: Those interested in having this track in MP3 format, please let me know to send it to them.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2002, 20:16

As far as I know,the title Tubular Balls it´s not a joke with Mike´s Tubular Bells.

But Rick really loves joking with everybody...

A real joke was when Rick got 50 and someone asked Queen Elizabeth II if she knew about him.

Her answer:
'Isn´t that Tubular Bells chappie?'

And remember Ant,the guitar player on the Crises
album,he´s now working with Wakeman on his band.

Tati the Sentinel,
also a Rick Wakeman fan

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: July 03 2002, 08:18

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Feb. 22 2002, 20:16)
As far as I know,the title Tubular Balls it´s not a joke with Mike´s Tubular Bells.

Recentely I asked the webmaster for the Rick Wakeman website regarding this,and his answer was something like this:
''Yes, it's just a joke reference. I've no idea why, but can only assume
it's because some people mix Rick up with Mike Oldfield, though I can't
think why...''

And I really don´t know why people mix them! ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: July 03 2002, 08:32

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Feb. 22 2002, 20:16)
A real joke was when Rick got 50 and someone asked Queen Elizabeth II if she knew about him.

Her answer:
''Is that the Tubular Bells chappie?'

Correcting something... :cool:

--------------

Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Sep. 05 2002, 19:11

Check this out...Rick is also a great fan of the TB MC:

3. Which band would you like to see reform?
IF YOU COLD REINCARNATE THE WONDERFUL VIV STANSHALL...THEN IT WOULD
HAVE TO BE THE BONZO DOG DOO DAH BAND .

;)

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2002, 05:35

I recently got Cirque Surreal (I found it for like five dollars, bargain!;). Tubular Balls dosen't sound at all like TB (well, iI suppose it might if you really wanted it to).

How could anyone mix Mike and Rick Wakeman up? They both do really great music, but they play completely different instruments, in completely different styles. Bizarre!

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
5 replies since Aug. 23 2001, 22:33 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net